Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 10:11 AM

860 posts, read 1,338,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
If 11% is most now, sure.
Well, their own methodology says that over half the score is related to different backgrounds. That would be more than 11% obviously. So there is some major discrepancy in their discussion of their methods. They are saying two very different things.

Edited to add, you’re totalling up what you think are their diversity metrics, but they are saying diversity makes up more than half the rank. So I we would have to go with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 10:21 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Well, their own methodology says that over half the score is related to different backgrounds. That would be more than 11% obviously. So there is some major discrepancy in their discussion of their methods. They are saying two very different things.

Edited to add, you’re totalling up what you think are their diversity metrics, but they are saying diversity makes up more than half the rank. So I we would have to go with them.
I read that as them giving the illusion they’ve put a stronger emphasis on diversity than what actually is the case. I have no ties to Rutgers whatsoever so doesn’t really matter to me. I think diversity should matter to an extent in the ranking but should be nowhere near half the weight.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I read that as them giving the illusion they’ve put a stronger emphasis on diversity than what actually is the case. I have no ties to Rutgers whatsoever so doesn’t really matter to me. I think diversity should matter to an extent in the ranking but should be nowhere near half the weight.
Hm I don’t know why they would lie about it but who knows in this crazy world. I think diversity should be available information for prospective students who might care about that, but I don’t think it should have anything to do with the rankings. Rankings should focus on the quality of education. But yeah, agreed, it’s not really relevant to my life, just something interesting to chat about.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Hm I don’t know why they would lie about it but who knows in this crazy world. I think diversity should be available information for prospective students who might care about that, but I don’t think it should have anything to do with the rankings. Rankings should focus on the quality of education. But yeah, agreed, it’s not really relevant to my life, just something interesting to chat about.

I could make the argument that diversity, to an extent, enriches the quality of education. It would be an opinion of course, but one I feel pretty strongly about.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:33 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,319,131 times
Hopefully they were referring to 50 percent of a certain category (such as Outcomes), and not 50 percent of the overall score.

It seems quite detailed
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...d-the-rankings

Old 09-23-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I could make the argument that diversity, to an extent, enriches the quality of education. It would be an opinion of course, but one I feel pretty strongly about.
Gotcha. I think it depends on the degree. Humanities, yes. Physics, math, etc. no. Human experience has much less impact on those types of degrees.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:46 PM

182 posts, read 136,669 times
My nieces and nephews are all in high school now.
They believe that TCNJ is the best public university in the state and that seems to be the consensus amongst their peers. I wonder how TCNJ does in the U.S. News rankings.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_J View Post
My nieces and nephews are all in high school now.
They believe that TCNJ is the best public university in the state and that seems to be the consensus amongst their peers. I wonder how TCNJ does in the U.S. News rankings.

When I was in high school, TCNJ was known as the college for students who wanted to be teachers. I don’t know if that has changed.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:59 PM

182 posts, read 136,669 times
Quote:
When I was in high school, TCNJ was known as the college for students who wanted to be teachers. I don’t know if that has changed.
I remember the same thing.
However, they say that their STEM programs are some of the best in the area. I just assumed Rutgers-New Brunswick was the flagship of the state schools.
I never went to college. I’m just relaying what I’ve been told.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Rutgers is OK.

The way to really judge a school's academic quality is by how many nerds go there.

And Rutgers just has too many partiers, boneheads and part timers.

Like UCSD for example. If you go hang out there, and go hang out at Rutgers, you will CLEARLY be able to visually see the difference in the student body.

That said, Rutgers is a plenty fine school to earn a degree and do what you want.

But it's not a melting pot of the intellectual best and brightest.

This only counts for undergraduate.

Last edited by jobaba; 09-23-2023 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey