Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Wow, Kalim, those are BEAUTIFUL pictures of Cranford. I've wanted to visit the town for a while now, and now I do even more, after seeing your pictures. I love how nice the downtown looks, and those Cherry Blossoms look amazing at the bridge...a true postcard picture. Thanks for sharing!
The downtown is actually fairly small, no big chain stores or anything. The sad thing is the economy is starting to affect stores in the area, with a couple stores closing down. I also make it a point to take most of the pics early Sunday morning or mid-afternoon Sunday to avoid too many pedestrians or cars. Normally, cars are all over the place so it doesn't look so neat and clean. Just a trick

The trees in Nomahegan are pretty good during flowering in Spring. The Union County music fest is held there every year. There's a street fair in downtown Cranford on May 2, so you might wanna check it out at that time. Unfortunately, I don't believe things like the Canoe Club are open yet.

Some of the pics I showed (e.g. footbridges) are much harder to find for visitors. They are only known usually by the residents who live close by and use it. If you look at a map of the town, the river cleanly bisects it in half along the vertical, so in order for anyone to go from one side to the other, they need these footbridges.

One way to find them would be to do a bike tour of the place. The Cranford bike shop probably has maps (Welcome To The Cranford Bike Shop Home page).

I can point out to you the ones I know, but I probably am missing many that are in the north side of town.

For example, this mossy thing is hidden near Mohawk Dr, close to the Rt 607 (Raritan Rd), on the extreme south. It's where I got the last pic above.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Mike,

Here is a shot of your Sandy Hook fox.

One day we watched as a red fox sat quietly off to the side waiting for scraps to be tossed from folks using the picnic tables. Also photographed that event.

Island beach also had a bold fox population. They run through neighborhoods picking up food scraps left out for pets.

NJ is a study in wildlife adaptability.
Wow, that's a great pic of the fox!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:06 PM

It was pretty warm today, and while crossing the Crane Parkway Footbridge in Cranford at around 6:30 pm I saw this lone guy fishing. This footbridge connects the rest of Cranford to outlying homes close to the Clark border. Those water disturbances around him are caused by hidden rocks in the rather shallow river.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:10 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,346,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
It was pretty warm today, and while crossing the Crane Parkway Footbridge in Cranford at around 6:30 pm I saw this lone guy fishing. This footbridge connects the rest of Cranford to outlying homes close to the Clark border. Those water disturbances around him are caused by hidden rocks in the rather shallow river.
Great pic.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Cranford not only has a river, it has a lake too, although not many people in town know about it....the funny thing is, that lake (called Silver Lake) is 60 miles away from the township and is located in another town - Hope, NJ.

Cranford West, as it's called, is a lakefront property that is open in the summer only and is owned by the township. It is technically part of the town. The 9 acre property sits at the edge of the clear and clean waters of Silver Lake, and has several cabins, sheds, and functional restrooms/showers. It also has canoes and a floating dock for the benefit of visitors. Here is the sandy beach area. The water in that lake is extremely clear, and much cleaner looking than the water in a delaware gap water area nearby.

A video about the place from 1993:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...16930154378661

Cabins that can be rented for $15 per night...

Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Cranford not only has a river, it has a lake too, although not many people in town know about it....the funny thing is, that lake (called Silver Lake) is 60 miles away from the township and is located in another town - Hope, NJ.

Cranford West, as it's called, is a lakefront property that is open in the summer only and is owned by the township. It is technically part of the town. The 9 acre property sits at the edge of the clear and clean waters of Silver Lake, and has several cabins, sheds, and functional restrooms/showers. It also has canoes and a floating dock for the benefit of visitors. Here is the sandy beach area. The water in that lake is extremely clear, and much cleaner looking than the water in a delaware gap water area nearby.

A video about the place from 1993:
Cranford West ~1993 TV35Online

Cabins that can be rented for $15 per night...
I spent time in Cranford frequently and was not aware of this park. Interesting.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I spent time in Cranford frequently and was not aware of this park. Interesting.
I believe 98% of the residents don't even know it exists and that their taxes are paying for it, but it's a beautiful area - it just takes an hour by car to reach it

It was deeded to the town in the 1960s.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I believe 98% of the residents don't even know it exists and that their taxes are paying for it, but it's a beautiful area - it just takes an hour by car to reach it

It was deeded to the town in the 1960s.
It's ashame people aren't made aware of it.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,622,592 times
Kalim, great photos- it's great to learn about a town. It seems like Cranford is a great place to live. I wish you luck and nominate you for a position on the Chamber of Commerce. Keep it up. I would love to stay in one of them cabins overnight. I guess and think they are only available to Cranford residents.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Kalim, great photos- it's great to learn about a town. It seems like Cranford is a great place to live. I wish you luck and nominate you for a position on the Chamber of Commerce. Keep it up. I would love to stay in one of them cabins overnight. I guess and think they are only available to Cranford residents.
I always liked Cranford and it's the kind of town that seems "homey".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey