Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 AM

10 posts, read 11,495 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

For those of you who know anything about the education job market in NJ:

I recently withdrew from medical school (long story short-a life in medicine just wasn't for me) and am strongly considering pursuing a career in science education, preferably at the high school level (hopefully AP level eventually). I have enough credits (>30) in Biology and Chemistry to qualify for a Certificate of Eligibility in both subjects (once I pass the 2 subject matter PRAXIS and the General Science PRAXIS exams). I was wondering what the realities were in terms of the job market for alternate route high school science teachers in NJ? I've read and been told that STEM areas are in high demand (more so Math/Physics/Comp Science vs Bio/Chem?) and that the job market is always tough esp for alt-route teachers but that the high-need areas are a little easier to break into.

Any info you could share regarding the realities of the current job market for Chem/Bio high school teachers, esp pertaining to the feasibility of pursuing this as an alternate route candidate would be enormously appreciated. Thanks in advance for any info both encouraging/discouraging. I am in North NJ btw (Bergen County) but am moderately flexible location wise (within 60 minute drive from Hackensack area in any direction).

Tl, DR: Is is realistic to expect to be able to find a high school teaching job in Chemistry or Biology as an alternate route candidate in a NJ Public School District?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 01:58 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Do you have a major in science? I thought you had to have the 30 credits in one field for the CE for HS

I looked into Alternate Route once and I had a lot of interest even though I had no teaching experience and no Praxis at the time. I think one principal was willing to drive me to the Praxis himself!

I have a BA and an MS in chemistry, so I'm not sure if that would make a difference

Old 10-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the response. Your anecdote is definitely encouraging though you have a substantially stronger Chemistry background than I do. I do not have a degree in science but between pre-medical requirements and a year of medical school I have accumulated well over 30 credits in Biology. After taking an additional few Chemistry credits this semester I will have exactly 30 credits in Chemistry which is the minimum requirement for eligibility. I am planning on taking the 3 PRAXIS exams this coming year (CHEM, BIO, Gen Science). From what you said it sounds like there is a need somewhere, at least for chemistry. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about contacting schools and getting on their radar? Were you just cold-calling and applying anonymously? Thanks again for the response and for any info. I'm sort of winging this thing and could use all the guidance I could get!

Old 10-17-2017, 03:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutherfordhopeful View Post
Hello all,

I recently withdrew from medical school (long story short-a life in medicine just wasn't for me) and am strongly considering pursuing a career in science education, preferably at the high school level (hopefully AP level eventually). I have enough credits (>30) in Biology and Chemistry to qualify for a Certificate of Eligibility in both subjects (once I pass the 2 subject matter PRAXIS and the General Science PRAXIS exams). I was wondering what the realities were in terms of the job market for alternate route high school science teachers in NJ? I've read and been told that STEM areas are in high demand (more so Math/Physics/Comp Science vs Bio/Chem?) and that the job market is always tough esp for alt-route teachers but that the high-need areas are a little easier to break into.

Any info you could share regarding the realities of the current job market for Chem/Bio high school teachers, esp pertaining to the feasibility of pursuing this as an alternate route candidate would be enormously appreciated. Thanks in advance for any info both encouraging/discouraging. I am in North NJ btw (Bergen County) but am moderately flexible location wise (within 60 minute drive from Hackensack area in any direction).

Tl, DR: Is is realistic to expect to be able to find a high school teaching job in Chemistry or Biology as an alternate route candidate in a NJ Public School District?
Use your medical experience to your advantage. Schools like biotech, allied health, and the various other medical science academies will be an ideal place to teach.

I teach in one of the magnet districts and almost all of the science teachers are alt route, there is no stigma. Being dual certified will be an advantage. In all likelihood you will end up teaching Chem initially as that is the harder certification to find.

Having a degree in your field is an advantage, at least in the better school districts.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:25 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Your anecdote is definitely encouraging though you have a substantially stronger Chemistry background than I do. I do not have a degree in science but between pre-medical requirements and a year of medical school I have accumulated well over 30 credits in Biology. After taking an additional few Chemistry credits this semester I will have exactly 30 credits in Chemistry which is the minimum requirement for eligibility. I am planning on taking the 3 PRAXIS exams this coming year (CHEM, BIO, Gen Science). From what you said it sounds like there is a need somewhere, at least for chemistry. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about contacting schools and getting on their radar? Were you just cold-calling and applying anonymously? Thanks again for the response and for any info. I'm sort of winging this thing and could use all the guidance I could get!
I saw the job postings on some internet site. I would just google "NJ teacher jobs" I didn't cold call, I definitely applied for specific jobs at public schools. I sent resumes to the contacts with a cover letter introducing myself saying I wanted to do Alternate Route.

Honestly, I couldn't believe they were willing to hire me. One principal was literally like, "Ok the Praxis is in a few weeks, can you get there to take it?" LOL

When I heard the courseload, I chickened out and kept my easy desk job. Sections of Chem, AP Chem and the labs as well for both. Yikes

Sounds like you are in good shape! I missed the part that you have a whole year of med school too.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Thank you both so much for the info and for sharing your experiences. Its good to know that the alternate route is not that uncommon of a track, at least for science teachers it seems.

I never even heard of these medical science academies. They sound like they would be an ideal fit for someone with my background! Is there a complete list of all of the medical science academies in NJ available anywhere? I never even knew these sorts of institutions existed, at least not within the public school world. Thanks again for the info and the re-assurance that my plans are not delusional!

Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Thank you both so much for the info and for sharing your experiences. Its good to know that the alternate route is not that uncommon of a track, at least for science teachers it seems.

I never even heard of these medical science academies. They sound like they would be an ideal fit for someone with my background! Is there a complete list of all of the medical science academies in NJ available anywhere? I never even knew these sorts of institutions existed, at least not within the public school world. Thanks again for the info and the re-assurance that my plans are not delusional!
No list, you should look by county since they are usually administrated at that level. I don't know where you live but there are the Bergen County Academies, Monmouth County Vocational School district, etc.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM

Awesome! Thanks again for the info. I currently live in Bergen County and my wife (who grew up in Bergen) actually did tell me about Bergen County Tech some time ago. I just didn't realize this was a county-by-county thing. I will definitely look into it further and start my job search with these institutions once I receive my Certificate of Eligibility from NJ. Thanks again for the info!

Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,211,948 times
Quote:
Hello all,

perfect candidate for one of the pharma companies.... from clinical research to detailing products to doctors. big paycheck, don't hesitate. Nj is full of big and small pharma companies

Old 10-18-2017, 09:16 AM

That's an interesting thought. I never considered Pharma too seriously as I only completed 1 year of med school and don't have a Ph. D in any biomedical science. I have a very limited research background (about 1 year of behavioral neuroscience/psychology research) at the unpaid student research assistant level. What are the sorts of jobs in a Pharmaceutical Company that a med-school dropout with a bunch of undergrad bio/chem credits could qualify for? Thanks for the advice! Any info much appreciated as always!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: