Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 06:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 17,269,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
I've been lurking here for some time and noticed that the rural parts of New Jersey don't seem to warrant much discussion. In about two weeks we'll be closing on our own little slice of rural Jersey heaven, so I thought I'd start a thread for those of us that live northwest of I-287, south of I-195, or perhaps somewhere in between that is off the beaten path, or at least off of Route 1 I'm hoping this thread will attract other lurkers or those who haven't posted in a long time from high atop a ridge in the Kittatinnies or deep within the cedar bogs of the pines. Some pics of our new place:

We're surrounded by nearly 250 acres of preserved farmland so we'll never have neighbors other than the farmer a 1/4 mile down the lane. We're planning on raising some animals (previous owner had sheep-my wife and girls want chickens, maybe some goats) and the place is crawling with deer and turkey. After years of waking up at 3:00 a.m., driving an hour to a spot, hiking in another 30 minutes, etc...I can't wait to roll out of bed and be in my deer stand in less time then it used to take me to pack my truck
Don't fret, NJ pols will get light rail to your area as soon as the next election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 PM

480 posts, read 482,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Don't fret, NJ pols will get light rail to your area as soon as the next election.
I don't really understand what you mean, but this is not a political thread. This thread is about rural life in New Jersey and may at times feature discussions and/or depictions of firearms and their use, hunting, self sufficiency, farming, etc...but I have absolutely no desire to talk politics.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:05 AM

32,963 posts, read 36,439,551 times
I've driven to the East Point lighthouse a few times. Looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere. It really is, but there's a house next door. I've had the little beach there to myself a couple of times.

Sun, sand, and water in New Jersey and no one else around. That was quite a treat.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:19 PM

Had some visitors to the pond recently:

Disregard the "ASSUNPINK" stamp on the images-years ago I used to put this camera up at Assunpink Wildlife Management Area when I hunted there. It's an old Moultrie camera and not very sharp-the newer ones are much better, but it's pretty clear that we've got a sow and some cubs frequenting the area. In other news the septic work is progressing:

Only eight more feet of excavation and 1700 tons of select fill to go... Finally we met the new neighbors at the farm down the road for a picnic and almost brought home a goat-still a little early for that though:

Old 09-02-2017, 11:20 PM

363 posts, read 286,920 times
looks lovely. my niece and her husband just bought a place somewhere in new jersey i've never heard of, and i've been a lifelong resident. you're probably neighbors. one word of advice: maybe buy a snow plow. like, a real one, not just a blower. :-)

Old 09-03-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
looks lovely. my niece and her husband just bought a place somewhere in new jersey i've never heard of, and i've been a lifelong resident. you're probably neighbors. one word of advice: maybe buy a snow plow. like, a real one, not just a blower. :-)
I've had the pleasure of visiting 20 out of 21 Counties in the state at one time or another in the course of my travels for work and play. We are in Northwest Jersey, but there are plenty of out-of-the-way little places like ours from High Point to Point Mountain to Raven Rock. I started this thread to talk more about these types of places in New Jersey. As far as a snowplow we are fortunate as we live a 1/4 mile off of the county road, but our only other neighbor on the road is the farmer who lives and the very end of the lane, another 1/4 mile down. He plows from his place clear out to the road, but has told me that I'm welcome to use any of the equipment in the barn to clear the road if he's unavailable or unable. We will invest in a compact utility tractor within the next two years or so.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:11 AM

708 posts, read 1,061,590 times
This is a nice thread. Not everyone realizes how many beautiful areas of New Jersey there are. I was NJ born and raised, Bergen and Morris Counties, and in 1998 moved to Warren County. I love where I am. It is nice to pass farms on my way home from work. It's nice to see the deer that come to my neighbor's bird feeder and they don't even flinch anymore when I come out of the house. Autumn is coming, and that is when this place is at it's most beautiful. I plan on leaving NJ in the future, for retirement. but I will miss Warren County.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:11 PM

32,963 posts, read 36,439,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
I've had the pleasure of visiting 20 out of 21 Counties in the state at one time or another in the course of my travels for work and play. We are in Northwest Jersey, but there are plenty of out-of-the-way little places like ours from High Point to Point Mountain to Raven Rock. I started this thread to talk more about these types of places in New Jersey. As far as a snowplow we are fortunate as we live a 1/4 mile off of the county road, but our only other neighbor on the road is the farmer who lives and the very end of the lane, another 1/4 mile down. He plows from his place clear out to the road, but has told me that I'm welcome to use any of the equipment in the barn to clear the road if he's unavailable or unable. We will invest in a compact utility tractor within the next two years or so.
I know I've missed a few in the NE, but I'm not going to try to figure out which ones. Probably Passaic, Bergen, Bergen, and Hudson. I mean that. There's nothing to see there, anyway.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I know I've missed a few in the NE, but I'm not going to try to figure out which ones. Probably Passaic, Bergen, Bergen, and Hudson. I mean that. There's nothing to see there, anyway.
There are great places to visit in all of those counties, we just couldn't live there. That's the beauty of New Jersey though. After my commencement for graduate school in Newark we went out for one of the best meals of my life at Fornos of Spain on Ferry Street, but just shy of an hour later we were back in Hunterdon County.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:32 AM

401 posts, read 428,435 times
Congratulations on the new place, we lived in Warren County for 28 years we loved the rural area and was great raising our daughters. But when we retired we moved out of NJ to Pa to be closer to our kids. We went from 2 acre site to a 42'x140' city location in a University town with many things to do. I do not miss the traffic on RT 78 and 31, wow did it change in 28 years. If you work from home and do not have to deal with commuting even the better!

Regarding your tractor.... when the time comes to research what you want check out

TractorByNet.com - Compact Tractor Forum

Great web site with many hours of reading on all topics regarding compact tractors. When you buy one make sure you get one with a FEL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey