Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:51 AM

514 posts, read 1,669,704 times

Advertisements

My moms favorite is sumanabi@#*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 06:14 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
Default hey machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
My moms favorite is sumanabi@#*
ever heard any of these? lol

Emily park= Elmwood park
nord alindon= North Haledon
MUFL= muffin
cliffsidI= cliffside park
lillo fall= Little Falls
bako= bagel

here is a funny story. back in the 70's (before gps) and i was very very young, and my parents had just come to the US, my family had heard of a nice place to go to the beach and also fish. they picked a saturday, created a carravan and headed out. they stopped and asked for directions many times, but no one knew where "oistenebe' " was!
needless to say, they went back home, never able to report back if what they had heard was true because they never found
OYSTER BAY!

anyone else want to play??

Old 02-02-2008, 06:29 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
ever heard any of these? lol

Emily park= Elmwood park
nord alindon= North Haledon
MUFL= muffin
cliffsidI= cliffside park
lillo fall= Little Falls
bako= bagel

here is a funny story. back in the 70's (before gps) and i was very very young, and my parents had just come to the US, my family had heard of a nice place to go to the beach and also fish. they picked a saturday, created a carravan and headed out. they stopped and asked for directions many times, but no one knew where "oistenebe' " was!
needless to say, they went back home, never able to report back if what they had heard was true because they never found
OYSTER BAY!

anyone else want to play??

How about "man a lap in"...manalapan

and it's PORK ROLL people!!! LOL.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:32 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
a bensilvania= pennsylvania
yambi= A&P
futime= Food Town

Taylor ham

Old 02-02-2008, 06:56 AM

396 posts, read 1,310,977 times
Default Bennies

What about the bennies for the shore people?

And what about birdie bread? (the ends of a loaf of bread) Was that a Newark thing or just my family thing?

Jo Anne

Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Pennsylvania... more like Pennsyltucky : ))Oh and.."Blue Tags" - they always seem to be the worst drivers : )) And for some reason, their always attached to a Saturn.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Flatleaver? I'm 43 years old! <---Just for reference
I grew up in Highlands and when the city kids would come down for the season, I would love hanging out with them because they had better toys, more fun stuff to eat and at 8 or 9 years of age, the other Highlands kids would call me a flat-leaver because I would hang out with my "new" friends.

It could be just a Highlands thing as Kevin Smith used that term in "Dogma".

Shanny
OMG!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Being a flatleaver was the absolute worst thing a kid could do to another kid. When I see my kids playing with someone the first minute and not the next, I'm like "HEY!!! You didn't just flatleave Anthony, did you?!?!" My Burlington County raised husband never heard the term, but knows it now because of me.

How about the old "sprinkles -vs- jimmies" war? Sprinkles all the way......

Old 02-02-2008, 08:50 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Wheres my Mr.Softy(spelled Softee) and Good Huma(spelled Humor) ice cream trucks. I think this is a Hudson County ding(spelled thing). For tahiti and fischfan esp.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Wheres my Mr.Softy(spelled Softee) and Good Huma(spelled Humor) ice cream trucks. I think this is a Hudson County ding(spelled thing). For tahiti and fischfan esp.
mr. softee - that name ALWAYS cracked me up - yup, if I were I guy I'd want to be known as "Mr Softee" - LMAO! my Mr. Softee guy growing up was Joe.

pssstttt - the mr. softee song is my ringtone on my cell - no lie! it's a good conversation starter, LOL

speaking of hudson county - how about the guy who drove around in a pickup with RIDES on the back? he had the whip and the bucaneer and one other, that I can't think of. OMG - I'm sure they were a death trap on wheels. he used to blast WABC - Dan Ingram! Good times, good times.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:35 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
The Good Humor guy in Hudson County Park (now James J Braddock / North Hudson County Park) that was set up just across from the handball courts by the lake made a fortune in the summer. There was always a line and he didn't have to move an inch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey