Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 651,428 times

Advertisements

Hey, if I live in New Jersey but work in New York, must I pay both NY and NJ state income tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:38 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon37 View Post
Hey, if I live in New Jersey but work in New York, must I pay both NY and NJ state income tax?
your new york employer will be deducting new york state taxes from your paycheck, not new jersey taxes. when you file you nj resident income tax return, you will be able to take credit for the taxes paid to new york on line 39 of the return. the form you would use to figure out your credit is NJ Schedule A. You must do your Federal Return first, then your IT 203 (New York non-resident return) before you do your NJ return. the instructions on how to do the Schedule A is in the NJ tax booklet here:
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...07/071040i.pdf
the information you want is on page 33 of that booklet Schedule A is here:
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa.../071040abc.pdf

Old 01-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Thanks. I tried to look this stuff up, but it's hard to get a straightforward answer.

EDIT: You wouldn't have any clue as to whether my income tax would generally be lower living in NJ or in NY? In other words, do the credits in NJ offset the bulk of my NY income tax bill?

Last edited by anon37; 01-22-2008 at 04:05 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I tried to look this stuff up, but it's hard to get a straightforward answer.

You wouldn't have any clue as to whether it's generally cheaper to live in NY and pay NY taxes, or to live in NJ and have these credits, do you?
actually trying to compare cost of living in either state and and tax credits is like comparing apples and oranges. too many things encompass a "cost of living" so tax credits don't really come into play that way. from what i've read on these boards the cost of living is higher in new york than new jersey, if that information helps.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:03 PM

Hey, sorry, to clarify, I was wondering whether my income tax bill in particular would be higher as a NY or as a NJ resident, if I have a job in NY.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Hey, sorry, to clarify, I was wondering whether my income tax bill in particular would be higher as a NY or as a NJ resident, if I have a job in NY.
the only way you could figure that would be to check the tax rate/amount for your income in both new york and new jersey to see which state you would have a higher tax liability in. you can access the nj state tax tables at the back of the instruction booklet i gave you the link for in my prior post. you can go to ny state web site to check their tax rate for your adjusted income. again, cost of living in the two states could be very different. the income tax rate is only one consideration when figuring out cost of living.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM

173 posts, read 818,825 times
If you live in NJ but work in New York City (not just NY state) your income tax will be lower because when you file your returns you should avoid (or recoup) the 3% income tax from the city.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:27 PM

51 posts, read 523,645 times
Quote:
If you're job is in NY, then your tax bill should be about the same no matter which state you live in. NY state taxes are typically higher than NJ, so you would get a credit that covers all of the NJ tax amount, in most instances.

So your 2 scenarios would look like this:

Live in NY: simply pay the NY tax

Live in NJ: pay NY tax, use credit to offset all NJ tax. The net is you are paying NY tax only.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 PM

Thanks guys. You gave me exactly what i was looking for.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 149,029 times
Default NJ Joint return for one NY income one NJ income

Hi,

After carefully reading the NJ Tax return guide, it seems that only a portion of NY Tax can be deducted as credit for NJ Tax.

Example: living in NJ, joint return, one NJ income 50K, one NY income 50K. total income 100K.
NY base tax (line 44) is 6K, total NYS Tax (line 50) is 3K (50% of 6K).
Max allowable NJ credit percentage: 50K/100K = 50%
Allowable credit for NJ Tax: 3K*50% = 1.5K
NJ Tax (based on 100K): 5K
NJ Tax after credit: 3.5K

This does not look right. 100% of 3K should be allowed as credit.
Did I miss sth? Thanks in advance!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: