Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:33 AM

85 posts, read 216,011 times

Advertisements

Basically, my parents are in the Middletown Area, looking to spend around $1500-$2000 on a new sofa for the living room (a sectional if possible). However, they haven't bought new furniture in a while and know to avoid places like Ashley Furniture, Jennifer Convertibles, Raymour and Flanigan, Value City Furniture (Middletown) and Bob's Discount Furniture.

They want to at least see the furniture before they buy it - so maybe a place with a good sized showroom would be good for them to go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 01:30 PM

11,403 posts, read 16,812,787 times
Curious on why to avoid some of those stores?

Old 09-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Curious on why to avoid some of those stores?
Ashley Furniture/Jennifer Convertibles/Raymour & Flanigan/Value City - They have never sold my parents or any of our family anything that lasted longer than three years before just going horrible - cushions sagging, parts breaking, etc. and the customer service at the store is horrible

Bob's Discount Furniture - Last time we went there, they were looking to buy their last couch (which my parents bought about ~6 years ago). They got yelled and screamed at on the way out for not buying a couch right then and there and wanting to compare prices.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:41 PM

324 posts, read 578,572 times
Are those all of stores they have ever shopped at? It's hard to recommend a place that they'll like if they've been dissatisfied with every store so far. I don't have much loyalty to furniture stores, but I've been happy with most of my purchases at Bob's and Ashley.

Every place has some cheap furniture that's not going to last long. You just need to know how to pick those out.

Also, they're going to harass you at most furniture stores. I'm surprised they've only had that happen to them at Bob's

Old 09-07-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
Are those all of stores they have ever shopped at? It's hard to recommend a place that they'll like if they've been dissatisfied with every store so far. I don't have much loyalty to furniture stores, but I've been happy with most of my purchases at Bob's and Ashley.

Every place has some cheap furniture that's not going to last long. You just need to know how to pick those out.

Also, they're going to harass you at most furniture stores. I'm surprised they've only had that happen to them at Bob's
Those are the stores they've shopped at for furniture, aside from beds, which they got at Sleepy's in Middletown and they were satisfied with.

But no, they've never been satisfied with a couch they have bought - for a while, they had a couch they bought at a garage sale (but it was a garage sale couch, so, you can't complain), then they bought one at Ashley and the cushions began to sag/collapse after five years, then they bought the current couch at Value City and the cushions began to collapse after three years and there's no way to fix it - cushions can't even detach from the damn thing.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:32 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,782,018 times
I haven't checked but maybe there's an Ethan Allen in that area?

ETA - there's one in Marlboro

Old 09-07-2014, 04:36 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,686,082 times
I've bought furniture at JC Penney's and have been very satisfied.

Try Macy's, also.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I haven't checked but maybe there's an Ethan Allen in that area?

ETA - there's one in Marlboro
They went there already - the cheapest sectional was around $4000 - double the top of their price range.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:02 PM

11,403 posts, read 16,812,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM402 View Post
They went there already - the cheapest sectional was around $4000 - double the top of their price range.
You just answered your own question.

For $2000 you're not going to get a top shelf sectional.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:09 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,809,687 times
Squan Furniture in Ocean Twp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: