Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:59 PM

208 posts, read 545,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helj67 View Post
Hi there, thought I would put my 2 cents in! As I am an actual Trenton resident for the past 11 years, let me offer you some observations. How much worse can Trenton get? Who knows? Trenton has been perpetually poised for a leap to the heights of a great river town situated between Philly an NYC with lots of character and history. It is also teetering at the brink of desperation , violence and sorrow. Walk to the train station? I would not attempt, but who knows, maybe? Unfortunately the area around the train station is notorious for prostitution, but it is possible the cops have cracked down on that (at the Greenwood/Hamilton Avenue area) When we go to NYC we use the Trenton train station and have not had a problem with the garage but you feel the need to be on alert.
Mill Hill is a lovely area with its own wrought iron gated park and a lively civic association. You will find a vibrant, eclectic group in any of the "upscale" areas of Trenton. Others are Hiltonia, Berkeley Square, and Caldwalder Heights. The last would be my neighborhood, Glen Afton. Best for those who want to be in a more secluded part of the city. We are cut of from other neighborhoods unlike the aforementioned which are plopped down in the middle of it all, for better or worse!
I would wager Mill Hill is on its way up hopefully. There is a lot of buzz around the arena on South Broad commercially. On the downside, our mayor is under fbi indictment and a total buffoon! On the way way way downside is the uptick in gang violence, which could spark up anytime anywhere in the city. Breaks my heart, breaks all our hearts. But this is Trenton where we have a lot of optimism, in New Jersey where we have a lot of moxie and in America where we have a lot of brave.
We need good people here and you would be made welcome!
Great post, thanks for the thoughts. Unfortunately, the house we were interested in Mill Hill sold shortly after we visited the neighborhood. We are now looking further south, in particular West Mt Airy and CC Philly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 12:17 PM

244 posts, read 643,965 times
Default Mill hill 2017

Hi all,

I just looked at a beautiful townhouse in Mill Hill this weekend.

I read this thread with great interest because it's 5 yrs old (original post was 2012).

So, doesn't seem like Mill Hill has changed for the better. I'm wondering what folks think now, is it better or worse and do you think things will improve over the next 5-10 years.

One poster mentioned many train/bus commuter improvements and I'm not sure whether those ever happened.

Any insight would be great appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Not much has changed in Trenton, oh, ex-mayor Tony Mack is in jail along with 2 brothers and a couple of co-conspirators.
The properties that were beautifully renovated in Mill Hill and sold in the upper 200's are on the market for thousands less today. Property taxes are in excess of 9K and the schools and services have not improved.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The white section (across the Delaware from Morrisville) is Trenton (highest crime).

The Trenton Transit Center has been built and is a big improvement over the old building but the surrounding neighbourhood is still pretty bad.

The Mill Hill gentrification project was a valiant attempt but the city remains dangerous.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2017 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Not much has changed in Trenton, oh, ex-mayor Tony Mack is in jail along with 2 brothers and a couple of co-conspirators.
The properties that were beautifully renovated in Mill Hill and sold in the upper 200's are on the market for thousands less today. Property taxes are in excess of 9K and the schools and services have not improved.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The white section (across the Delaware from Morrisville) is Trenton (highest crime).

The Trenton Transit Center has been built and is a big improvement over the old building but the surrounding neighbourhood is still pretty bad.

The Mill Hill gentrification project was a valiant attempt but the city remains dangerous.

Thanks so much, jerseyj. A couple years ago it seemed there was hope but are things actually getting worse? Do you know what happened with the new mayors' revitalization plan (homes for $1 and taxes deferred for 5 years)? I guess that either didn't happen or stopped before it started.

I don't have kids so the school system isn't an issue. But obviously crime IS a huge issue. If I can't walk my dog around a few streets without being on edge that wouldn't be a good life.

Are Hiltonia or Glen Afton significantly better? They look much farther away from the crime zone and on the edge of Ewing. Although taxes are crazy high in Trenton in any neighborhood. I'm also looking in Ewing and Lawrenceville. It's odd that Lawrenceville is the best town overall and somehow has the lowest property taxes. Of course I can only get a tiny shack there.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2017 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 02:47 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
I'm not sure that $1 plan worked out so well, there are currently 2200+ foreclosures in Trenton. To qualify for that $1 plan one had to agree to live in the home for 10 years and rehab it.

Here is an example of one of those homes today ( just sold 10/19/17 for 5K)

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M69021-91585

Lawrenceville (the village) is small but quaint, the biggest drawback is 206 it stays jammed up through the town. Lawrence Township is sprawling.

Have you looked in Lambertville? It is a very cute, walkable, river town.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I'm not sure that $1 plan worked out so well, there are currently 2200+ foreclosures in Trenton. To qualify for that $1 plan one had to agree to live in the home for 10 years and rehab it.

Here is an example of one of those homes today ( just sold 10/19/17 for 5K)

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M69021-91585

Lawrenceville (the village) is small but quaint, the biggest drawback is 206 it stays jammed up through the town. Lawrence Township is sprawling.

Have you looked in Lambertville? It is a very cute, walkable, river town.
I LOVE Lambertville but it's actually more expensive that I would have guessed. I can never find anything reasonable in my budget, or with the amenities that I would want to have when purchasing. I work in Princeton so am looking in the 10+ miles around it. It seems every town is either a dump or outrageously expensive. Lawrenceville seems to be the in-between (not dump, not high cost). My friend lives in Lambertville and says it takes her 45 minutes, which seems so much longer than I would have guessed. People say I should move to PA but towns close to NJ, such as Yardley, don't seem to be drastically cheaper and the commute is longer. I'm thinking of looking at Hightstown and East Windsor next. Trenton is so sad because there's enormous potential, particularly in Mill Hill and Hiltonia, but I'm now wondering if this is a Detroit situation that will never improve. I might even take a chance if the taxes weren't so high, but paying those taxes and not feeling safe just seems like a slap in the face!

Thanks again for your help and insight, jerseyj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey