Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:06 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Was the apartment illegal? Why did you offer her 6 months rent back, especially before finding out where you stand (or don't) legally? If it were me, in order to avoid giving up thousands of dollars, I'd spring a few hundred for a consult with an attorney to find out what your options are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:57 PM

55 posts, read 161,995 times
This is basic contract law. One of the elements of a contract is that the consideration be LEGAL. Since the appartment is illegal then the contract is void.

Walk away and if they sue you for the rent you countersue for twice as much for the bs you went through.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
1. In the state of nj if you rent an illegal apt your landlord has to pay you 6 x's the amount of your monthly rent 5 days before you have to move regardless of how long you have lived there , also they cannot legally evict you , or charge you back rent only damages

where did you find this information just curious?? going thru an enviction I'm pretty sure this landlord was renting and pretty much left the country but told us to tell neighbors we were related then he came back & had his so called "property manager" make my mom sign a lease for 200 dollars more a month then the agreement was. but unfornately we never had an orignal lease/written agreement. & def the house is illegal.. no smoke alarms. we dont even have a key to our front door, several broken windows & I'm wondering what our first steps should be? call the fire inspector? also we are behind dec n januarys rent I think his "cousin the property manager filed for enviction so I stopped sending the checks.. but we only paid checks maybe this last yr we've been there almost 3 and paid cash.........

Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,456 times
Default I got evey dollar back!

Back in 2007 I lived in an illegal apt in Fair Lawn Nj and my landlord had to give me back every dolar i paid her in rent. I was there for a year at 900 per month. So whats the deal with 6 times the monthly rent? I used NorthEast Legal Services and they were great.My Mom is now being asked to leave an illegal basement apt in Lyndhurst Nj and I am about to call the service I used. I am proof they you can get every dollar you gave in rent back. So I guess it depends on the town you live in. Don't you think?If you know anything that could help with my elderly,disabled Moms case please I am open. Thanks Your reply then was "urban legend" i was juleluvs john.

Last edited by Julie Ann Matthews; 09-20-2012 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,327 times
I am a neighbor of someone who rents an illegal apartment. I am struggling financially and could easier rent a mother in law space i have above the garage but i dont have to money make it pass zoning and make it legal so I dont. I dont see why someone should get away with this while some of us law-abiding citizens suffer. Can you point in the right direction to report an illegal apartment in bergen county nj. Thank you

Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,071 times
Hello, A "roommate" and I were recently renting a commercial space and occupying it as residential. This was a verbal agreement from the landlord to us. The town since found out; we moved within 24 hours of the inspector visiting the property so there were no fines or public record documents. They are now suing us for 13.5K for the remainder of the rent and claiming they were unaware of us living there. One clause in the lease states " The tenant may live in and use the space without interference subject to this lease" but also goes on to say "If a clause or provision of this lease is legally invalid, the rest of this lease remains in effect." My "roommate" and I are not considered poverty but do live paycheck to paycheck due to other expenses such as rent for our new apartment. The inspector is willing to testify on our behalf along with a number of other witnesses but cannot provide anything else. What is our best bet?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,746 times
Hello, I live in Paterson, nj. I rented my first apartment and have been here almost a year after some time I gathered that it was illegal and have been looking for a new place but have not had any luck. The last week my apartment started flooding where my laptops were damaged; I may have found a new apartment but was told that my landlord has to pay for my relocation fees. What do I do, what steps should I take?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,746 times
Default What did you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Ann Matthews View Post
Back in 2007 I lived in an illegal apt in Fair Lawn Nj and my landlord had to give me back every dolar i paid her in rent. I was there for a year at 900 per month. So whats the deal with 6 times the monthly rent? I used NorthEast Legal Services and they were great.My Mom is now being asked to leave an illegal basement apt in Lyndhurst Nj and I am about to call the service I used. I am proof they you can get every dollar you gave in rent back. So I guess it depends on the town you live in. Don't you think?If you know anything that could help with my elderly,disabled Moms case please I am open. Thanks Your reply then was "urban legend" i was juleluvs john.
Hi I am renting an illegal apartment in Paterson, nj. How king did it take to receive your money back, what steps did you take?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,736 times
i am a landlord and i has a contract with the second floor to rent the basement and second floor together and i was aware of the tenant in the attic when he came and now that the seconf floor left and now theres a new tenant there the attic wont move out is there a legal way to take him out

Old 09-29-2014, 12:05 AM

4 posts, read 9,643 times
To JCPARALEGAL...Thank you for this wealth of information regarding "Illegal" apartments. I am presently embroiled in this very situation. I could use some input on this. The homeowners I've been "renting" from for almost 8 years were recently convicted of renting an illegal apt. (mine). I stopped paying the rent quite a ways back, and have NEVER been issued ANY official court papers in reference to an eviction. The day of the court hearing when they got nailed, they were levied a fine. I appeared with the Construction Official who issued the summons...All I got was a verbal order to vacate the apt. within 7 days, along with NO mention of the Relocation Assistance Funding, which I am fully eligible for..I'm fully aware of the NJ State statute that's on the books.....Where do I stand? I'm in touch with an atty. versed in L/T matters...I'm just wondering in the meantime. How can a municipal court judge ignore a state mandated law? AND verbally order me to vacate within 7 days when there has been NO formal Court papers issued? They're talkin' about a lockout..How can this happen in such a short time? Thanks for readin' this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey