Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,171 times

Advertisements

My grandpa was stationed in Fort Dix about 40 years ago and he said he used to go to a sub place right off the base that had the most amazing subs....anybody have any idea what the name of this place could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavajuju View Post
My grandpa was stationed in Fort Dix about 40 years ago and he said he used to go to a sub place right off the base that had the most amazing subs....anybody have any idea what the name of this place could be?
The "subs" were probably hoagies. (A good hoagie is hard to beat.) It could have been a deli, or a pizza place.

If it was 40 years ago, this was during the Vietnam War. Dix was really jam-packed at the time. It's possible that the place still exists. Does your grandpa remember if they ever got other food items besides the sandwiches at the place? That might help to narrow it down.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
I do know where to get a New Jersey Italian Hot Dog. Check out Jersey Dogs in Wrightstown:

Jersey Dogs Wrightstown at HollyEats.com

Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 AM

633 posts, read 1,950,961 times
Default I stand corrected

At breakfast I mentioned your post to my wife and with out hesitation she said sure Glory's Market

Glory s Market and Coupons Best butcher shop in Jackson NJ

Here is their "current" ad

https://uwc.webmail.optimum.net/attach/Glorys.pdf?sid=&mbox=INBOX&uid=24284&number=4&file name=Glorys.pdf (broken link)

Now that I have seen their web page I have even stopped there in the past.

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:25 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
I wonder if lavajuju forgot about this post.

Fort Dix and "right off base" say Wrightstown to me. Browns Mills would be a distant second and maybe, though not likely, Pemberton. Wrightstown was always the 'go to' place.

I DMed a link to ALLMILITARY.com because I saw a few Fort Dix hits on the site.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:04 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
I think that the time period was when Dix was getting a constant stream of bodies in & out, getting them ready to ship off to 'Nam.

I remember seeing convoys of tanks coming westbound on 70 in Cherry Hill, when walking back from the Ellisburg area to my parents house (You could actually walk across 70 without a strong possibility of being killed.) & the military helicopters overhead.

I remember riding with friends along, I think 72, going towards the shore & seeing flashes from something exploding in the woods, as we approached the area near Dix.

I could be wrong, but I think that Dix was larger than it is today, which would expand the area in question.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 AM

5 posts, read 8,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavajuju View Post
I know this is an old thread, but since I didn't see an answer to your question, and I am not totally sure myself, but I use to eat at those restaurants during the same time period. May have been Angelo's restaurant , which sold subs and pizza. It was across from the school, Hill Top dinner, maybe, which was I believe west outside of town towards another restaurant which sold Chinese food and is still there, called the Jade Inn. I wish I could remember all the names of the restaurants, but I can't. I might be able to find out. My brother remembers most of Wrightstown more than I do. Wrightstown had a lot of good restaurants. Mostly owned by Greeks. They would come down from Greece and make a killing selling good food in those restaurants and go home to there families with a small fortune. The Pizza and Hoagies, now called subs mostly, were Wrightstown's number one attraction, besides the bars and sometimes Whores you could get for a night or two. If I remember more restaurants I'll post them, but there was more than just one restaurant that sold good subs, or Hoagies as they were called back then in Wrightstown. .

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porg n poot View Post
I know this is an old thread, but since I didn't see an answer to your question, and I am not totally sure myself, but I use to eat at those restaurants during the same time period. May have been Angelo's restaurant , which sold subs and pizza. It was across from the school, Hill Top dinner, maybe, which was I believe west outside of town towards another restaurant which sold Chinese food and is still there, called the Jade Inn. I wish I could remember all the names of the restaurants, but I can't. I might be able to find out. My brother remembers most of Wrightstown more than I do. Wrightstown had a lot of good restaurants. Mostly owned by Greeks. They would come down from Greece and make a killing selling good food in those restaurants and go home to there families with a small fortune. The Pizza and Hoagies, now called subs mostly, were Wrightstown's number one attraction, besides the bars and sometimes Whores you could get for a night or two. If I remember more restaurants I'll post them, but there was more than just one restaurant that sold good subs, or Hoagies as they were called back then in Wrightstown. .
They're still called hoagies pretty much everywhere in South Jersey and Philly. If you say "sub" people will know what you mean, but no one who grew up locally calls it anything but a hoagie.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
They're still called hoagies pretty much everywhere in South Jersey and Philly. If you say "sub" people will know what you mean, but no one who grew up locally calls it anything but a hoagie.
The Atlantic City area seeming to be the primary exception for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia