Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2021, 07:49 AM

4 posts, read 5,482 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice concerning moving to Pa vs NJ for a commute to New Brunswick. . My husband and I have three kids and rent in Monmouth County but am planning to buy a house and am having a hard time deciding where to do so. We don’t have friends and family close to where we currently live, it’s a stonger NYC vibe than I prefer, and homes are quite expensive for what you get. While it’s an option to stay in the area, I want to consider other options that may improve our quality of life.

My husband commutes to new Brunswick three days a week, often during off hours for traffic and even in the middle of the night. We are considering a move to Yardley/ Langhorne Pa or Mount Laurel. We have family and friends in both towns and hear that they would be just as good for our family as where we currently live.

Looking at a map Mount Laurel is obviously a longer distance but might not take much longer due to the high speed of the turnpike. I’m wondering if anyone has experience commuting from either of these places in to the new Brunswick area? I don’t want him to spend so long on the commute and stuck in traffic that he dreads it, but I feel like we may be happier in the long run being closer to family and friends in either of these other towns. Taxes appear to be worse in Mount Laurel but the price of a home seems to be better than Yardley.

We have done a lot of moving over the past several years and I really want this to be our forever home/ town. I appreciate any insight you can offer to help make this decision easier. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 08:30 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,965 times
Google Maps says Yardley is 41 minutes, while Mount Laurel is 56 minutes. Choose Yardley.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:51 AM

4 posts, read 5,482 times
That’s exactly what I was finding on Google maps as well, thank you. The realtor I reached out to in the Mount Laurel area insisted it would be a much shorter drive. I initially thought it was too good to believe, which is why I was hoping to hear from someone who has made the commute. I realize both roads from either mount Lauren or buck county ( turnpike vs rt.1 ) will have different traffic issues, but i’m wondering if one will still come out better than the other...

Old 01-23-2021, 08:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,965 times
If the commute is often during off hours as you said, then traffic shouldn’t be so bad on either road. So Yardley being closer wins.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:32 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I would definitely choose Yardley. It's a shorter drive and a beautiful area. Mount Laurel is very nice but I w0uldn't choose a longer commute to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia