Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 08:35 PM

8 posts, read 11,826 times

Advertisements

I'm a mother of two with a job at Rugers Camden campus and my spouse works from home. $290k budget for a house. Prefer a sizeable backyard, single family home not rowhome.

Living in Philly seems great, except the public schools are ranked poorly. Maybe an NJ or PA suburb. It appears that NJ is less built up but cheaper than PA. For proximity though, places like Cherry Hill seem decent. Most websites advise against living on the NJ side of the river. This seems like it may be more perception, like how people in Chicago look down on the Indiana suburbs, or Charlotte with South Carolina, etc.

When we visited the area we really liked Woodbury and Pitman! Cherry Hill seems nice too. Liked parts of Pennsauken but school district seems poor. Any thoughts on where we should move? Is NJ really as different from PA as people say? Does the lower cost of living make up for the much higher taxes? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 10:53 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacoscoob View Post
I'm a mother of two with a job at Rugers Camden campus and my spouse works from home. $290k budget for a house. Prefer a sizeable backyard, single family home not rowhome.

Living in Philly seems great, except the public schools are ranked poorly. Maybe an NJ or PA suburb. It appears that NJ is less built up but cheaper than PA. For proximity though, places like Cherry Hill seem decent. Most websites advise against living on the NJ side of the river. This seems like it may be more perception, like how people in Chicago look down on the Indiana suburbs, or Charlotte with South Carolina, etc.

When we visited the area we really liked Woodbury and Pitman! Cherry Hill seems nice too. Liked parts of Pennsauken but school district seems poor. Any thoughts on where we should move? Is NJ really as different from PA as people say? Does the lower cost of living make up for the much higher taxes? Thanks.
It's after midnight, the Eagles lost, I'm tired, so I'm just posting to bump your post.

Figuring out the Philly schools is beyond me. I wouldn't choose to live there with a kid in school. Cherry Hill would be great but I'm not sure what that buys there these days. Pass on Pennsauken. Camden erased that border years ago. Maybe Haddon Township. Someone on here recently suggested Barrington. I used to know someone from there but his daughter is in her 30s. I have no Idea how the schools are now. Pitman is too far away. Crunch your driving choices on online maps.

Last edited by Gerania; 01-03-2021 at 11:20 PM..

Old 01-05-2021, 02:17 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
I grew up in Cherry Hill in the 1970s, then visited my mom in the 1990s and 2000s once my parents returned there after 12 years in the New York City suburbs. I've been in Boston since I left for college back then. I always liked Cherry Hill, and I trust and hope that the schools are still well regarded?

But yes, maybe some or most Pennsylvanians do look down on south Jersey, then and now?

I assume Haddonfield and Moorestown near Cherry Hill are too pricey. Maybe Collingswood near the hi-speed line is still improving and more value? I recall discovering a burgeoning restaurant scene there twenty years ago.... hopefully it's kept expanding. Not sure about the reputation of their schools vs. Haddonfield and Cherry Hill.

But for those looking down at anywhere in South Jersey, I always wonder why, as some or many Philadelphia pro athletes have lived there over the years? Anyone know if that's still the case to a degree?

Yes, it's understandable with some or many of the Flyers players, as their practice rink has been in Voorhees for years, but don't the other teams also have personnel living in south Jersey? I remember a former Phillies manager lived in desirable Haddonfield. And didn't an Eagle live in Moorestown, and Muhammed (sp?) Ali briefly live in Cherry Hill when starting his career?

Old 01-05-2021, 08:13 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I grew up in Cherry Hill in the 1970s, then visited my mom in the 1990s and 2000s once my parents returned there after 12 years in the New York City suburbs. I've been in Boston since I left for college back then. I always liked Cherry Hill, and I trust and hope that the schools are still well regarded?

But yes, maybe some or most Pennsylvanians do look down on south Jersey, then and now?

I assume Haddonfield and Moorestown near Cherry Hill are too pricey. Maybe Collingswood near the hi-speed line is still improving and more value? I recall discovering a burgeoning restaurant scene there twenty years ago.... hopefully it's kept expanding. Not sure about the reputation of their schools vs. Haddonfield and Cherry Hill.

But for those looking down at anywhere in South Jersey, I always wonder why, as some or many Philadelphia pro athletes have lived there over the years? Anyone know if that's still the case to a degree?

Yes, it's understandable with some or many of the Flyers players, as their practice rink has been in Voorhees for years, but don't the other teams also have personnel living in south Jersey? I remember a former Phillies manager lived in desirable Haddonfield. And didn't an Eagle live in Moorestown, and Muhammed (sp?) Ali briefly live in Cherry Hill when starting his career?
You are right about your assumptions with towns. Interesting about the athletes. Yes, many Philly athletes do continue to live in South Jersey. Now that the 76ers have their offices and practice facility in Camden, probably even more of them live there now than before, for the same reason as the Flyers. As for the Eagles and Phillies, I think the other reason could be that South Jersey arguably has easier access to the South Philadelphia Sports Complex where all of the stadiums are. It’s a hop, skip, and a jump from the Walt Whitman Bridge. I also think it may have something to do with lower property values. These athletes know that they may not be in the area for a long time. They play for a few seasons and ultimately get traded. So they don’t want to make such a large investment in what is a temporary housing arrangement.

Back to OP. Since the job is in Camden, I like to say it’s best to live in South Jersey. If schools are a concern, Philly won’t cut it, and you don’t want to commute from a PA suburb through Philly and into Camden. Too much of a headache.

The reasons why PA suburbs are encouraged and NJ suburbs are discouraged usually boils down to property taxes and that the PA suburbs are perceived as having more character and charm, while the NJ suburbs are viewed as Anytown USA generic suburban hell. Think walkable downtowns and a more historical feel vs. endless strip malls and cookie cutter housing developments. Also much more options for rail commute in PA vs. NJ. But because your job is in South Jersey instead of Philly, that kind of trumps everything else.

My suggestion would be Westmont/Haddon Township. You could either drive or take PATCO to work in Camden. It’s a quick trip, but not close enough to Camden that the negative parts spill over. Schools are a little better than Collingswood, which is also an option. Housing stock is generally older there, but your budget should be able to find you something. For what it’s worth, Westmont puts you smack dab in the middle of the only part of South Jersey that people would say has character and is comparable to those PA suburbs, as it, Collingswood to the west, and Haddonfield to the east all have train stations (PATCO, though limited in its extent, is better than anything SEPTA offers, both in run frequency and that it runs 24/7) and walkable downtowns and not so much of that generic suburban feel. Pitman is too far away. Woodbury’s schools aren’t that good either.

Last edited by Leps12; 01-05-2021 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-05-2021, 08:39 AM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacoscoob View Post

I worked in Pitman for a decade, I thought it was a wonderful town. One of these places people have lived for generations, lots of community involvement. I loved the downtown area.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:44 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,681,266 times
In PA, your tax dollars are eligible for cyber school which is included. So, if you have self-motivated kids, cyber school may be a great option. If you have a young motivated kid but if you can afford to help him at home or have a guardian do so, cyber school works excellent as well.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:50 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
OP was kicked out already. Check out his/her "posts" before Mods caught on. Gotta wonder what the point was .

Old 01-05-2021, 02:10 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah5555 View Post
op was kicked out already. Check out his/her "posts" before mods caught on. Gotta wonder what the point was .
lol

Old 01-05-2021, 10:22 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
OP was kicked out already. Check out his/her "posts" before Mods caught on. Gotta wonder what the point was .
She had a lot of job offers!

Old 01-06-2021, 08:42 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
She had a lot of job offers!
Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia