Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 PM

7 posts, read 17,248 times

Advertisements

hey... been reading the forum the last few weeks. Very informative. Thank you all for your help. Looking to possibly make the move when the wife finishes school, which will still be a year and half. Looking to prob move to the manchester area. I assume, the biggest city should have the most jobs? Right?

My wife will be an RN, and was wondering if anyone knew which hospital(s) are better in the area, and what hospitals do more hiring? Prob a tough question, unless you work in that field? Would also like to be not too far from the airport in manchester, since i currently work p/t for the airlines. Been trying to find some close areas that have lower taxes. Dunbarton and Hudson are looking like the lowest taxed towns in these areas?

How is the real estate market in the southern part of NH? I've heard it's been slow, but was wondering from those that actually live there? I'm also a realtor, and would like to continue and get my license, if we make the move. The company Bean Group sounds like a neat place. Has anyone had any experiences with that brokerage?

Another random question, but why so many toll roads? Ha. j/k. Are there any other convenient ways around the nashua, manchester, concord areas, without shelling the money for tolls? Or is it a hassle taking the side roads? Well thanks for listening.. I'll prob think of a bunch more questions as I continue researching the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 03:09 AM
SFT

79 posts, read 207,555 times
I can answer a few of your questions.

A fair amount of people who live in New Hampshire commute to Massachusetts for work. This is mostly Manchester and south, but I'm sure a few make the trip from Concord.

Nashua to Manchester you can take Route 3 instead of the Everett Turnpike. It takes a little longer, but you avoid the toll. The same goes for Manchester to Concord, Route 3 instead of Route 93. The tolls are pretty insignificant unless you are going to be traveling these routes frequently and in that case you can get Easy Pass and it gives you a discount. Manchester will have most of what you need so if you're traveling to Concord-area it will probably be to go to the lakes or mountains, unless you had a specific place you wanted to visit there. The same goes for Nashua as well.

Dunbarton is a nice rural area, but it's a bit of a drive from Manchester. Google maps says 37 minutes to the airport. Most of the route is considered back roads, you don't really hit any of the faster moving highways.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:57 AM

680 posts, read 2,442,379 times
When I'm driving north it takes me an extra 30 minutes to take Rte 3 - not worth it to save $1.

When we were looking at houses on the Seacoast we used a realtor from Bean Group. She was great, the office was nice, and they also had realtors licensed in ME to sell houses in Kittery, York, etc.

I have seen sold signs but many more for sale signs, and some houses have been sitting 2+ years. Like anything, I think it depends how realistic the sellers are willing to be. Buyers definitely have their pick of houses now and can negotiate like crazy. I think it would be a really hard time to be a realtor.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
I suggest looking for an apartment in West Manchester for a year or so to give you time to learn the area. It is mostly three deck city apt buildings but it is relatively cheap. W. Manchester is about 10 min from MHT.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:19 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,181,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoneg77 View Post
hey... been reading the forum the last few weeks. Very informative. Thank you all for your help. Looking to possibly make the move when the wife finishes school, which will still be a year and half. Looking to prob move to the manchester area. I assume, the biggest city should have the most jobs? Right?

My wife will be an RN, and was wondering if anyone knew which hospital(s) are better in the area, and what hospitals do more hiring? Prob a tough question, unless you work in that field? Would also like to be not too far from the airport in manchester, since i currently work p/t for the airlines. Been trying to find some close areas that have lower taxes. Dunbarton and Hudson are looking like the lowest taxed towns in these areas?

How is the real estate market in the southern part of NH? I've heard it's been slow, but was wondering from those that actually live there? I'm also a realtor, and would like to continue and get my license, if we make the move. The company Bean Group sounds like a neat place. Has anyone had any experiences with that brokerage?

Another random question, but why so many toll roads? Ha. j/k. Are there any other convenient ways around the nashua, manchester, concord areas, without shelling the money for tolls? Or is it a hassle taking the side roads? Well thanks for listening.. I'll prob think of a bunch more questions as I continue researching the area.
Another Lone Star Stater! Welcome ya'll!
I'll let the NH professionals answer your big questions...and I'll just chime in here for the little things

Bring your cans of Wolf Brand chili with you. You'll miss the flavor in the wintertime, and it will be a taste of home you will be eager to have.

Bring your cans of Ranch Style beans! You can find it sometimes up here, but I wouldn't trust the dates on them. LOL Can't go a winter without Ranch Style beans!

Eat your share of mexican food, BBq, pulled pork, and all that jazz plenty before you settle up here. You'll thank me later. LOL

Invest in some thermal undies. Find boots with good lining and water proof. Make sure you have AWD or 4x4 if you live near windy hills.

Up here you have to register your dogs each year with the city/town you live in. Something I had to get used to. They don't have to have auto insurance up here, it is not a law or mandatory, so that means lots of people on the road are uninsured. If you're smart, you will keep yourself insured and add on that "insured against all drivers" policy part. It could really save you.

In Texas, lots of houses have fire places, but they hardly use them. Up here, you'll see chimney stacks smoking, wood stoves burnin, and there is something wonderful about that aroma when the air is cold and crisp...and you catch just a whiff as you drive by and your window is cracked.

I can't wait for you to experience this place. Just don't holler "Go COWBOYS" around some towns, Salem isn't too far and there may be lynch mobs and hanging gallows still up and in use!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,044,516 times
I only know the Bean Group's website. Another big one is Masiello. My agent was a small, independent group (maybe 2 or 3 people). Hey, if your wife is a nurse, she can likely get a job anywhere! Manchester has hospitals, Nashua has St Joseph's, Peterborough has Monadnock Regional, and Hanover has the Dartmouth Hospital. all good ones. Any particular 'flavor' you're looking for in a town?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks for all the valuable info. I didn't realize Dunbarton, was such a far drive to MHT. How is the area in West Manchester, GregW? 3 deck city apt building? What would a 2 bedroom rent out? any links to these apts? Yea, we'll def want to rent first. Have family that just moved to ME, and they are planning on meeting up in the Manchester area. So who knows?

I'm not real texan! ha..... just lived here for the last 6 years. Grew up in FL, and born on Long Island. So I won't be missing any chili and beans, but def the tex mex food! I love fajita's!!! Any mexican food that is decent that way? or is it more bland? what about some good NY style pizza? any good Indian restaurants? Oh, yea... not a Cowboys fan, either!!! sorry... hehe. Yes, but look forward to actually using a fireplace!

Yea, real estate is actually still pretty strong in the panhandle of texas. I figured things are slower in the NE area. Does anyone know how to figure out the way NH comes up w/ the property taxes? A realtor gave me certain #'s for each town per $1,000, but that doesn't seem to add up w/ the taxes shown for each property? If that makes any sense.

How is Hudson, NH? it seems to be real close to Nashua. I heard they were building a large mall or some sort in the area? They seemed to have low taxes also? It's prob much more crowded there? Is Nashua very expensive? Well thanks for all the good info and help.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
I have a friend that owns and lives in the top appartment in a W. Manchester 3 decker. I think the first floor 2 br rents for around $1000.mo and the 2nd floor $800 or so. These are not wealthy neighborhoods but slums either.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,959,286 times
Welcome Jason First of all, if your wife likes Circle E candles, be sure she brings some along... Up here Yankee Candles are THE ONE, (and don't even come close to the , IMO)

Like everywhere, the market is still challenging up here, but not as badly hit as some areas of the country. Lower prices and the 8K tax credit has helped the 1st timers get into home ownership. The busiest agents are heavily involved with the foreclosure/investor market, and it'll be interesting to see how many more agents we lose in December when we pay dues... (NH has lost several hundred agents in the last few years, mainly 'part timers' and folks who just had a toe in the door, but also some seasoned agents who just couldn't make a living in the current market...

I can't comment on Bean Group, but their website and property search feature is unlike any other in New Hampshire. Wish I had one that was as user-friendly...

For hospitals in southern NH, each has their niche. Elliot in Manchester has the best NICU in the area. New England Heart Institute is at CMC in West Manchester, etc. I think it depends on where she would prefer to focus...

OK, back to work for me!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Yea, I know she'd prefer working with newborns, but just starting out, I'm sure she'll take what she can get? Thanks for the info on the hospitals. I've heard RN's make better money in MA? Are there any nearby hospitals to say Hudson NH, in MA? We'd hate to commute to work, but you never know? Amarillo TX is so convenient with everything being 5-10 min away. Still a good size city of almost 200k, but everything so close. The downside is there is nothing to do outside of town for say 4 hrs away, so you're basically stuck! ha.

In regards to real estate, who do you work for? what area do you focus on? how much are the dues at the end of the year? monthly dues for mls and ekey? just curious. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire