Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,026 times

Advertisements

Hi All.

I searched these forums but didn't find answers I was looking for.

I will be finishing up pharmacy school soon (May 2010) and I am looking for a place to settle down and start a career and (eventually) a family. I am male and 39. I will be 40 or 41 by the time I move.

I am looking very closely at Mancester. I started looking at NH because of the zero sales and income tax(other than dividends) and I thought Manchester looked really good for several reasons.

My questions are:
How is the cost of living in Mancester/NH?
With no sales or income tax, how does NH obtain needed revenue?
Are the property and use taxes out of control?
How is the dating scene for someone who is single and almost 40?

I was considering staying where I am (Madison, WI), but income tax here is pretty steep and there are literally ZERO people over 30 and single. I, for one, feel a bit odd socializing when everyone else is basically under 25.

I have had friends and family tell me that I am not going to find a late 30s/early 40s singles/dating scene anywhere outside of a very large city, but I don't really want to live in a big city. (I have lived in both Manhattan and Chicago and although both were really neat, I just don't have it in me to live like that any more).

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 07:44 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
two bedroom apartments range from $650 and up....the $650 price most likely would not include heat and utilities

NH obtains revenue through property taxes - the homeowners take the hit

almost 40? there's a good bar scene in Manchester with quite a few hot spots

Manchester is small when compared to Chicago or Manhattan, so you should like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire