Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 03:05 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Another post by someone who is convinced that living in NH is the key to "personal liberty" & "freedom". You mention Maine--another beautiful state-- I'm pretty sure they have "liberty" & "freedom" there too, don't they? Also VT. And they are all "free states"--whatever that means???

But whatever, much of NH is beautiful. BTW, I lived in Bloomington IN for a couple of years in the early 80's, getting a Master's degree. It is a pretty part of the state--by Indiana standards. I remember going to Brown Co. State Park in the Fall--& I always thought--this is not nearly as pretty as Autumn in New England. (I had gone to college in Boston).

So NH might "do it for you". Personally, I can't tell that I have any more "personal liberty" here than any other state I've lived in; but people seem to flock here for that.....

PS--getting out of Indiana is almost always a good idea, IMO, unless you have a great job or something there. That whole "Hoosier" thing gets old, really fast.....
Agree 100% about Indiana, live here right now unfortunately and it ranks low in the quality of life department overall- regardless of how low the cost of living is. The level of dysfunction of getting most things done correctly is unbelievable in many areas of the state. I am trying to move north to the Upper Midwest, would gladly pay more in taxes to live in a much higher quality of life area. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, but not always. Yes, I have a very good paying job in Indiana given the cost of living, been here over three years- too long already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 08:41 AM

500 posts, read 636,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Another post by someone who is convinced that living in NH is the key to "personal liberty" & "freedom".
Yeah, him, me and scores of others. NH is one of the most free states.

Quote:
You mention Maine--another beautiful state-- I'm pretty sure they have "liberty" & "freedom" there too, don't they? Also VT. And they are all "free states"--whatever that means???
Maine and Vermont are not as free as NH. If you don't know what a "free state" is, then I suggest reading John Stuart Mill's "On Liberty." If you don't like to read, on YouTube there is a rudimentary video called "Philosophy of Liberty" that breaks down liberty.

Quote:
So NH might "do it for you". Personally, I can't tell that I have any more "personal liberty" here than any other state I've lived in; but people seem to flock here for that.....
Yes, me and scores of others did flock to NH for more freedom. I feel more free here than I did living in four other states.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:16 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,233,195 times
I've been in VT for 15 yrs, having moved here from CA. We came out on several scouting trips (went through Maine, NH, and VT before deciding on VT, for job reasons for me. Hubby was a (young) retiree - and still is).
The beauty is undeniable, even winter (we both knew what we were getting in to and had lived in snow) but the work/employment scene and the social environment can be difficult. Here in VT, many things revolve around the school and children. We don't have any. It is very liberal, so that has to be taken in to consideration. I used to just think I could 'ignore' the political differences, and just 'never talk about it,' but frankly, when some of the most interesting and noteworthy things are happening with our politics, not being able to have a decent, friendly dialogue about it is very stifling. Yes, people will tell you you don't have to talk about these things, but I find that 'narrow.' As a general rule, if you are a conservative, you don't say anything in public. Just how it is, in my neck of the woods. It could be just the geography you choose, too, so you must choose wisely. (There's been criticisms on the VT thread about people expecting the new place to be the same as the old place they left, or want to be publicly critical of the new place - that is not my situation). I love the landscape and rural nature of the state. And I am lucky to have a good job. I'm afraid to retire, though, because I think it's gonna hurt Am working on that plan now. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Thumbs up With my job, I could live anywhere, but I choose to live in New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Here in VT, .... It is very liberal, so that has to be taken in to consideration. I used to just think I could 'ignore' the political differences, and just 'never talk about it,' but frankly, when some of the most interesting and noteworthy things are happening with our politics, not being able to have a decent, friendly dialogue about it is very stifling. Yes, people will tell you you don't have to talk about these things, but I find that 'narrow.' As a general rule, if you are a conservative, you don't say anything in public. Just how it is, in my neck of the woods.
That's why I moved from the Midwest to New Hampshire. In the greater Chicago metro area, "conservative" is unacceptable, anything less than wholehearted support of Obama was a career-limiting move at best. To not be despised (and to have your vote count at all) you had to move downstate. I left because of the talk of doubling the state income tax for top earners... a move that is again being seriously considered.

Here in NH the political atmosphere is mixed, even the most progressive of Democrats is willing to have a reasonable conversation with a Republican about at least local politics once they're sure they're not talking to one of those evil freestaters here to take things over and force us all to "live free".

Old 10-24-2018, 02:29 PM

13,618 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Free of income tax? sales tax?
Free of eminent domain takings for private development (Forbidden by NH state constitution under the 2006 amendment)?

For many, "free states" means "free from restrictive gun laws", [/url].
I get the low taxes thing, although the extremely high property taxes here substantially make up for no income tax. As for gun laws, I don't have any desire to walk around town with a loaded handgun so its not a big issue for me. I did just find out that I need to get a permit from the town and inform the fire department every time i want to start a fire in my backyard, so not all that free.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:12 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Post When the ground where you are burning is completely covered with snow, no fire permit is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I did just find out that I need to get a permit from the town and inform the fire department every time i want to start a fire in my backyard, so not all that free.
RSA 227-L:17(II) is how we balance "freedom" and "our state is 85% highly flammable forest".

Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 PM

500 posts, read 636,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I get the low taxes thing, although the extremely high property taxes here substantially make up for no income tax.
Even including property taxes, you still pay less state and local taxes in NH than 45 other states. NH ranks #46 for overall tax burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire