Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,143 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are getting close to relocating to New Hampshire from southern New England. We're probably a couple of years away.

We want to relocate anywhere between Littleton and Plymouth. Being on I-93 is appealing. We like the Lincoln/North Woodstock area but condos look like the best living option in that area and I feel a modest home with a two car garage would work best for us long term. We are open to some peace and quiet (home with a couple of acres) but would consider a quality home in a good neighborhood in town.

At present, Littleton and Plymouth lead for the option of owning a home. We have been to both towns numerous times. Admittedly I have a soft spot for Littleton. I think it's a more quaint community and offers more shopping options. However, Plymouth isn't bad either and its proximity to Concord and Manchester is a plus. However, in Littleton you can hop on I-91 and you can be in Lebanon/Hanover in a decent amount of time. St. Johnsbury is a short ride away as well.

Both communities offer a local hospital. Both have good options for restaurants. Both have what appears to be low crime rates. Plymouth has the university (there's good and bad with that). We are avid hikers and kayakers. Plymouth is near the mountains and the Lakes Region but being north of the notch gives us access to venues as well.

I am hoping people who know one (or both) towns could give me and my wife some additional insight. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,048 times
Hey! So I realize my post is comin in over a year too late but hopefully you or someone else will find this helpful regardless. I live in a town between Littleton and Plymouth. Just get off Exit 28 on I-93 and that's where I am. Littleton is a great town. I love it. My family has decades of history there and I have memories from my young childhood of spending time in Chutters Candy Shop and The Littleton Bookstore (Since closed/reowned). It has lots of restaurants ranging from the Beal House (a small inn style restaurant with phenominally orginal meals) to the Ninety-Nine Restaurant. It truly has lots of variety. However, it does lack several things. It's relatively far from any sort of suburban area. There are no high level athletics nearby, apart from the Franconia Ski Club, a very prestigous team known for producing the Olympian Bode Miller. Finally, Littleton lacks a strong school system. It's small so it's funding is also small.

Plymouth, on the other hand, is exactly what one might expect of a college town: bustling, energetic, and fun. The Plymouth State University has many facilities in the towns heart such as the huge ice arena (used for youth and high school games alike), several soccer, lacrosse, and football fields, and a few baseball/softball fields. All of which are utilized by the area's youth. There is currently a Walmart and Hannafords in town as well as an Olympia Sports, Marshalls, a hardware store, several gas stations, and dozens of restaurants and cafes. Plymouth's area education is good, as well. Seven towns from around the area all feed into Plymouth Regional High School, pop. 760(ish) students. While Plymouth is a very traditional school, still struggling to incorporate technology into it's curriculum. Thornton Central School, an elementary and middle school that feeds into PRHS, is known for its advanced curriculum. All 7th & 8th grade students receive iPads that they are responsible for and have the option to purchase for a vastly discounted price by the end of their 8th grade year. These iPads are mandatory for all classes. They're extremely useful for research, writing, and presenting information. PRHS, however, has strict no-personal device policies in place and do not incorporate tech as they do not see the value. Despite that, it's students are still achieving highly and the school was even honor by US News as one of the Top 10 schools in New Hampshire.

When it comes down to it, I prefer Plymouth but only because I have high goals for my soccer career in college and I need access to the higher level training that Littleton does not offer. If you and your wife have/are planning on having children, then Plymouth is the smarter option educationally. However, if you're simply retiring, dont have kids, or they've grown up, the Littleton would be the better place. While Plymouth does offer some hiking/kayaking in the area, Littleton is right in the middle of one of the best outdoors areas in the region. It's north of the notch that the best mountains and rivers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire