Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:03 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,778,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
It can exist all over the country.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a chunk of land in NH, (haven't been there in a long time), and there is a small parcel I didn't own that is entirely surrounded by my land, and a person bought it, well knowing it was essentially 'land-locked'. I will only grant an easement for a really big sum of money. Caveat Emptor. I keep the lawyers well employed. But I will give him $10 for the property (he only paid 100 times that for it ). When the deed states 'no direct road access', and 'easement required', it is sort of an IQ test.
On another house, I have a boat ramp, but the easement is written so that only one of my properties, and the direct neighbor can use it.
Worked hard to earn the lands.... my right is to restrict who may be on it, when properly posted. Simple enough. Just told the caretakers to call the police when hunters are on it.
I agree with you about working hard to earn the land and the right to restrict who is on it. But, at the risk of derailing my own thread, doesn't it bother you that you can never really own land?

Think about it for a while... you never truly own your land. Want to find out who REALLY owns your land? Stop paying your property taxes. Then you'll find out.

If you have to effectively rent the land from the government through the required payment of property taxes, you don't truly own it. And of course there's also stuff like code enforcement... if you're doing something on your own property that doesn't harm anyone nor put anyone at risk, and code enforcement officers can still cite you for violations of some laws they have in place to regulate what can and cannot be done on a piece of private property, you really don't own it to the extent that you have complete dominion over it. You are but its caretaker.

Did you know that the term "real estate" has a Latin/Spanish origin? In Spanish, "real" is pronounced "ray-all" and means "royal". The original term which has been translated into "real estate" meant "the royal's estate"... effectively, it all belongs to the king, but this piece has been assigned to you for now because you bought the rights to it.

Some things never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
It happened in the Land of Oz.

What town is that in? I would love to drive by it and check it out

Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I agree with you about working hard to earn the land and the right to restrict who is on it. But, at the risk of derailing my own thread, doesn't it bother you that you can never really own land?

Think about it for a while... you never truly own your land. Want to find out who REALLY owns your land? Stop paying your property taxes. Then you'll find out.

I see... so if I pay a 'tax' on something, I don't really own it.
That applies to almost everything.... Stop paying your income tax, or your excise tax, or medical premiums, etc... Let's see where that lands you. This discussion is ridiculous. In your definition, I may not 'own' it, but I do have much control over it if I obey the laws. If you read some of the other threads of how to place the land into a conservancy, and set up a trust to fund the taxes, simple enough. Then only way the government can claim the land is through eminent domain (or if there is an overthrow of the government).

If you have to effectively rent the land from the government through the required payment of property taxes, you don't truly own it. And of course there's also stuff like code enforcement... if you're doing something on your own property that doesn't harm anyone nor put anyone at risk, and code enforcement officers can still cite you for violations of some laws they have in place to regulate what can and cannot be done on a piece of private property, you really don't own it to the extent that you have complete dominion over it. You are but its caretaker.

This is non sequitur. Never stated anything about what I do on MY land (as long as it is legal), but what others do, on MY land, when I had it posted (legally, with owner's name and signed), that "No Trespassing" is exactly what it means.

Did you know that the term "real estate" has a Latin/Spanish origin? In Spanish, "real" is pronounced "ray-all" and means "royal". The original term which has been translated into "real estate" meant "the royal's estate"... effectively, it all belongs to the king, but this piece has been assigned to you for now because you bought the rights to it.

Could you please explain the relevancy of this statement to this thread?

Some things never change.
You are correct. There are clueless people everywhere. (hint).

Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
It happened in the Land of Oz.
Ha ha ha Ho ho ho And a couple of tra la las That's how you laugh the day away In the merry old land of NH....
What's with the animosity? Geez.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Not even close. I'm just the head of a pin here compared to real land owners. Less than 1K acres between the NH and NY properties... we won't count the other states. I am just nickels and dimes, and I will be the first to admit it.
Did you marry your horse yet?
So what town is property in?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
So what town is property in?
Yeah, right, like I am going to reveal that.

สิ่งที่คุณคิดว่าฉันโง่?

Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
A landlocked property owner can sue the neighbor to force them to grant an easement. It happens all the time, when the owner of a landlocked property really wants to push the issue. The rule of thumb is the shortest/easiest/most direct route is where the easement will be granted of it goes to court.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:13 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,778,654 times

I see... so if I pay a 'tax' on something, I don't really own it.

If you must pay a periodic tax or fee on something in order to maintain possession of it, you don't truly own it. You could keep a vehicle without registering it... okay, you can't DRIVE it without registering it, but you can OWN it. Think about how many people have vehicles in their barns that have been sitting there for decades. You think they've registered them every year? Nope... but that doesn't mean the government has come around to forcibly remove it from their possession. I'd bet nobody has ever sat on real property for 30 years, not paying the property taxes, and still been in possession of it. Sheriff's sales due to nonpayment of property taxes happen all the time... but only with real property.

That applies to almost everything.... Stop paying your income tax

It can happen. Work for cash and don't report it (plenty of people do)... but of course that can get you in trouble. Or, you can set up a system of income where you can deduct enough so you have a zero income tax liability. In this country, ~40% of households pay zero income tax. They still get to keep their income.

, or your excise tax,

Excise tax on what?

or medical premiums, etc...

I don't pay medical premiums. I'm a perfectly healthy young man. If I had paid for medical insurance for all of the years I've so far gone without it, I would still be who knows how many tens of thousands of dollars in debt. But, I'm going to pay off all of my family's debt, down to the very last penny, this coming month. Not buying health insurance did not cause me to lose any property nor to be any healthier. I've paid for all of my health expenses out of pocket.

Let's see where that lands you. This discussion is ridiculous. In your definition, I may not 'own' it, but I do have much control over it if I obey the laws.

I will grant you that. That is something I could never dispute. But to give you an idea, if I owned the house in which I live right now, the city could still come by and hassle me if I park a vehicle on the grass. How much control do I really have, if I can't park a vehicle on the grass without getting fined?

If you read some of the other threads of how to place the land into a conservancy, and set up a trust to fund the taxes, simple enough. Then only way the government can claim the land is through eminent domain (or if there is an overthrow of the government).

Eminent domain happens all the time and ALWAYS, without fail, screws the property "owner". I'd say, though, that you're more likely to become the true owner of your property if there is an overthrow of the government. If you are armed well enough to defend your property against trespassers and intruders, and no government exists to legally rob you of your money through taxation, then maybe you truly will own your real property.

This is non sequitur. Never stated anything about what I do on MY land (as long as it is legal), but what others do, on MY land, when I had it posted (legally, with owner's name and signed), that "No Trespassing" is exactly what it means.

The key phrase is "as long as it is legal"... and the definition of "legal" varies widely by location. Some areas, like the town I live in right now, are heavily regulated. When I lived in northwest PA, you could burn trash in a barrel in your back yard, put up as many signs on your property as you wish, etc... and nobody would say a word about it.

Maybe so, but I just wanted to clarify what I mean by property ownership, since we're talking about property ownership.

Is property cheap because it's hard to get a septic permit? Is it difficult to grow things on property like this? After all, I see the pictures and it looks like these properties are full of trees and grass... stands to reason the land is arable...?

Last edited by RomaniGypsy; 07-29-2012 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, right, like I am going to reveal that.

สิ่งที่คุณคิดว่าฉันโง่?

Im guessing Land of Oz

Old 07-30-2012, 05:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
IMHO - Given the nature of you work and your desire to travel for that work I suggest you look into buying an existing house in a small town. There are many properties with the house on the "main" road with a fair amount of land behind the barn. Obviously avoid the "back lot" or "landlocked" situation. There is a lot available without those problems.

I also suggest ignoring the infantile anti tax whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire