Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2006, 08:12 AM

17 posts, read 62,519 times

Advertisements

HI - does anyone nkow about this city? I know the area and all the stuff to do and my sister lives there - but she has a baby my daughters age so she doesn't know anything about teh school system either since her baby isn't quite old enough .

Just wondering if its a decent place to raise kids (north side) and how the school system is and the people - and parks and recreation type stuff. I know where all the shopping and stores and placs to go in the area as I grew up 45 mins away - but now that I have a family i am looking for a place we could stay in for at least 10-15 years.

i'm part of an interracial couple (I'm white, DH is black) so I like that Manchester is one of the more diverse areas of NH compared to Rochester area which is the other town we're looking into.

I do realize there is a jail there, but I don't think it's on that side of town and I've lived in cities in CT for a while now and DH grew up in south Chicago so that doesn't really deter us that much.

Any info is appreciated.

Thx
Rae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 04:15 PM

19 posts, read 66,775 times
Hi usone123, I wish I could help you with Manchester, but I don't know much about it. You should visit the schools there, and talk to some of the kids and the teachers and get a feel for the area. Hope this helps you a little.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:05 AM

14 posts, read 37,203 times
Hi there!
I currently live on the West Side of Manchester and can say it is a very nice city. The jail that is here is only a county jail, so you’re not going to see life sentence prisoners there. Sorry I cannot give you opinions on schools, no kids. As for the North side of town, very nice area, just make sure you look at the properties any realtor wants to show you. When I was house shopping my opinion of what North side was seemed VERY different of what I was shown. I’d say the ‘expensive’ north side would be anywhere north of Webster St.

Also, don’t be afraid to make a under bid on any house, a friend recently purchased a home and made a low bid and it was accepted! Surprising, but the market here is coming down some and you may find folks willing to deal a little. ‘

GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-28-2006, 08:19 AM

17 posts, read 62,519 times
Great, thank you for your help

Old 10-18-2006, 04:39 AM

8 posts, read 39,484 times
Hi!

We're an interracial couple too! I have great advice on Manchester Schools if you're still interested. I live in the "true" north end and my kids went to Webster School (A+), Mount St. Mary Academy (A++) and Hillside Middle School (C). What ages are your kids?
Hope this helps, I also have knowledge on other NH schools. Give me a call if I can help....

Ty
OwnInNH.com
MiCasaNH.com

Old 10-24-2006, 12:27 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,477,032 times
if your smart you would want a house by the jail (lol) when is the last time you saw a drug dealer, prostatute, gangs,or crime of any kind outside a jail and if someone manages to break out its not like they are going to stick around and check out the realestate whoosh they are outa there. but know the jail is fairly new very high security for a county jail no chance of escape. even the windows are like 2 inches wide. manchester is having a hard time with crime right now but the local paper is good the web site is www.unionleader.com and www.wmur.com is the local t.v. stations link stay away from the downtown area and the west high school area. as far as places to live though

Old 12-08-2006, 08:41 PM

211 posts, read 290,842 times
Manchester never had any crime when I grew up there. Now thanks to illegals and other groups coming in violence and crime is on the rise as well as total decline in the city and quality of life. Is this diversity? Is this a benefit? No -- I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire