Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times

Advertisements

GH - you are absolutely correct about foreign big money interests stealing anything they can get. They always have and they always will. They effectively own the government and the law. The Mill owners once ruled the roost and now it is foreign financiers. There is no real difference.

This project will get built weather we want it or not. Our needs and desires are irrelevant.

BTW - I have stopped and looked at the "Old Man" for over 45 years. I stopped a week after it fell off the Mountain. If there is any symbolism that meant the "Old New Hampshire" (that never really was) also fell off its special mountain. We are just another state not all that different from our neighbors to the East or West. Big money buys big privlege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM

81 posts, read 116,373 times
Everyone will determine for himself the symbolism of the Old Man's fall. I see it like he just couldn't stand to watch such a beautiful state desecrated. I don't share your fatalistic view about this proposed project and I'm not alone but I do agree about not being all that different from other states. Maine told HQ to keep their power, we can too. NY said bury it, we can too. We don't have to just grab our ankles because some fat cat says to. If they want to do business here, they have to treat us with respect, just like everyone else. We aren't talking about needs or desires, we're talking about rights guaranteed by the State Constitution. Just meaningless blather to corporate profiteers but we happen to hold them near and dear.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
I have seen the Old Man many times, as well as that cannon. I have been up on Lafayette, and all around on Kinsman Ridge.

The Old Man got overly discouraged and flew the coop in a Fog as you likely well know. The Indian Head is left as is the mamoth over in Crawfords.

I say bury it, or forget it. I don't like the cell towers or the police radio tower on Mt Nickerson, which is refered to as Mt Whittier. The blasted things are ugly.

A cell tower in Moultonboro was dressed to look like a tree, but even that isn't enough to stop ugly. That fool tower looks out of place sine no tree around here is close to 300 feet tall, and I have no idea how tall the tower is, but it's an eye sore.

As I first stated in this thread, I saw the crushed towers in the summer after the ice storm of the later 90's in Montreal.

That was some 5 months after the storm about. So these things get built and get crushed easy since ice storms aren't going anywhere. No one cleans up the mess for a long time, perhaps never.

I don't think so.
Man is messing up around the world, and Nature will only take so much before nature stops silly man. I believe there is a balance, and man must bend to meet it.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:02 AM

My ignorant take is this is hydro power from CDN, and probably from a dammed river in Labrador, where no salmon go anymore. Where there are roads and parking meter posts still, but no town. No road to go to get there either. Just useless roads in the middle of no where, and a train goes there for one and only one reason.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 AM

4/9/11 Bass and Ayotte come out against the northern pass! It took a while, but they finally hear what we are saying. It isn't over but at least they're listening. They not only asked the DOE to extend the comment period but actually came out against the project "as proposed" meaning they're looking at other ways. Just so it isn't stealing private property or trashing the National Forest. Thanks to these two for finally stepping forward and representing us. For those who think of Hydro as clean and green: http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Hydro+power+dirty+side/4585899/story.html (broken link)

Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Best news I have heard in a while. Maybe this and the Castle Doc, can restore a little confidence in Govt...maybe.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:44 PM

I don't think I'd go so far as "confidence", but when something is so wrong that even politicians are against it, you know it's rotten. Score it, NH 1 - Big Money 0, but it's only the first inning and it isn't over by a long shot. I think the success comes more from a determined public than a diligent political representation but at least they heard us and stood up for us when we asked them to. One by one, people with clout are joining the ranks of the citizen advocates for the NH way of life. Email your state senator and tell them what you think about some foreign company who formed a partnership with an out of state company and together they want to use eminent domain to steal private property and rape the National Forest for their own financial gain. The billion dollars a year profit that this line is supposed to generate is enough to blurr people's vision to what's right. Tell them not to sell us out. You can't buy a new NH. Once it's gone, it's gone. This is way more important than money.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,331 times
New Hampshire blocks Hydro-Québec plan (http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Hampshire+blocks+Hydro+Qu%C3%A9bec+plan/4546549/story.html#ixzz1IYEk5oD6 - broken link)

"MONTREAL - Hydro-Québec’s plan to export hydroelectricity through New Hampshire to boost its New England power sales has hit a solid wall of opposition in the Live-Free-or-Die state.

The proposed $1.1-billion U.S. power line, in partnership with Northeast Utilities Service Co. and Boston-based NSTAR Electric Co., has been rejected by citizens in more than 25 town hall meetings and hotly denounced in a letter-writing campaign to the governor, on social media sites and in packed public meetings.

“I don’t think I have seen such unified opposition right across the board ... in 30 years,” said Kenneth Kimball director of research for the Appalachian Mountain Club."

<snip>

"The opponents of Northern Pass were energized by a vote taken in the State House of Representatives this week.

In a 317-51 vote, Republicans and Democrats supported a bill that many see as aimed directly at the Northern Pass.

The bill blocks utilities from expropriating property to build power lines unless those lines are needed for system reliability.

Currently, Northern Pass is classified as a “merchant project” and, should the bill pass the Senate, would not have powers of expropriation.
Republican Representative Larry Rappaport was the prime sponsor of the “eminent domain” bill."

(more at link)

You know, I really love New Hampshire more and more.

Make sure your Senators know how you feel!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:51 AM

I read the linked artical, and was surprised to find how 'Dirty' hydro power can be, with released toxins, from flooding a green area. I was surprised since I had never pondered what happens before.

Anything for a fast buck. No wonder our green backs have become in shades of pastel.

Let Ct build windmills on their coast. Ct is pretty ugly anyway.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Why I changed my mind on Northern Pass | Concord Monitor

Another take on the proposal by Rebecca Brown, Executive Director of the Ammanoosuc Conservation Trust - the regional land conservancy of the north country. I've never met her but it sounds like she's done her homework. Another prominent show of support for the opposition. Well said, Mac & BeFree - We're on a roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire