Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best town to live with young kids in Nevada ?
Las Vegas 11 10.78%
Boulder City 15 14.71%
Reno 13 12.75%
Henderson 21 20.59%
Other town not listed 18 17.65%
No place in Nevada - some other state 32 31.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,243 times

Advertisements

Vegas is not the place to raise kids. Period! The school system is the worst in the country. Recently the school board was considering cutting out sports or having pay to play sports in public schools. Everything revolves around the gaming industry. Kids are just an overlooked by-product of gaming employees. There are so many beautiful parts of America that are family friendly, so why choose Las Vegas? There is absolutly no culture and no history, this place was a dirt hole 50 or 60 years ago. This city is for adults. It advertizes itself as Sin City and thats what it is. "What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas" that is this city's motto. Do yourself a favor and raise you kids somewhere else, and please feel free to visit Vegas anytime you like. We love tourist. I'm a Las Vegas resident since 1972. Word to the wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,276,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis29 View Post
Vegas is not the place to raise kids. Period! The school system is the worst in the country. Recently the school board was considering cutting out sports or having pay to play sports in public schools. Everything revolves around the gaming industry. Kids are just an overlooked by-product of gaming employees. There are so many beautiful parts of America that are family friendly, so why choose Las Vegas? There is absolutly no culture and no history, this place was a dirt hole 50 or 60 years ago. This city is for adults. It advertizes itself as Sin City and thats what it is. "What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas" that is this city's motto. Do yourself a favor and raise you kids somewhere else, and please feel free to visit Vegas anytime you like. We love tourist. I'm a Las Vegas resident since 1972. Word to the wise.
Been here since 1972 but don't know a lot about Las Vegas. Not been paying attention?

CCSD is a large schools system. As such go it is relatively good. Better than NYC and Los Angeles for example. Better than any of the cities of the rust belt.

There are huge portions of the city that are as family friendly as anywhere in the US. I don't think I would raise children on the Strip either. But no one does. However Henderson or Summerlin or the NW or SW or...well you get the idea.

Some people don't do well in Las Vegas...and that is too bad. But most of us like it for ourselves and our families just fine.

It is a blue collar city with all that entails...but it is a very nice blue collar city. And with the reduction in housing costs it is even better suited to the role.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:28 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,961,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
But most of us like it for ourselves and our families just fine.

It is a blue collar city with all that entails...but it is a very nice blue collar city. And with the reduction in housing costs it is even better suited to the role.

Well I'm glad this thread was revived! I just came to the NV forum to check something out & there are so many threads about this subject that it was confusing to pick one to start with.

I just saw an article on one of the major dot com new sites. It's called Peter Greenburg's Guide to the Must-Miss Places of the World. He lists NV as a place to stay away from.

Some close family members of mine moved out there last year & this guy's report worries me. I hope he's just sensationalizing. My relatives are going to be there for a while & I can't help being concerned. So I was glad to read some of the things you had to say; & I'm trying to keep it in perspective.

I've visited a few times & found it to be very nice. So if any of you have read or heard about this article; I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 28,771 times
Las Vegas is not a place to raise kids. Worst schools in the nation.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,276,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebabe View Post
Quite untrue. Better than NYC and LA to start and many other places if you compare good Las Vegas to wherever.

Surburban schools in much of the US are interchangable and Las Vegas is no exception.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM

357 posts, read 1,617,296 times
Default Absolutely not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebabe View Post
I'm sorry, but the single worst city in the US from the standpoint of school achievement, safety, etc is Washington DC. In no other place in the US are the taxpayers spending more per pupil and getting less in achievement.

Mind you, the Las Vegas schools can use some real improvement. The first thing that has to happen is that the school district should be broken up. These large sprawling city school districts (like LV, or Los Angeles, or any of 'em) become far too entrenched for the good of the taxpayers or the kids.

That said, there are neighborhoods in LV with some very good schools, as measured by achievement.

Washington DC, however, is a uniform disaster. Ever wonder why our esteemed Congressional representatives, senators, US Presidents, etc all send their kids to private schools? Because the DC schools are a disaster.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 30,704 times
hendeson is a great area to live ......green valley ....i have a great experience with schools .....the area is not expensive ....many thing to do for kids .....come to green valley best area in nevada

Old 04-20-2009, 01:35 AM

3 posts, read 8,593 times
Why do so many people put there kids in the hands of a public school system and then ***** about it? Oh yes we pay for it with our taxes and we are entitled to it. By the way we are Americans aren't we. They are YOUR kids. Teach them yourselves. Do you really want them in a school learning how to build solar panels and wind turbines for OBAMA from some leftist 60's hippy freak?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,282,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXCALIBER12 View Post
Do you really want them in a school learning how to build solar panels and wind turbines for OBAMA from some leftist 60's hippy freak?
If you can find a public school that actually teaches SKILLS like that...skills that a young person can create a business and livelhihood with such as that...please let me know!

I personally think learning how to build solar panels or wind turbines would be an extremely marketable skill in today's world.

I realize you said it as a joke though (preferring the failed status quo, I guess?)...sadly no school exists like that that I've heard of, but a skills-based education that can immediately teach a person how to make money immediately and market himself or herself would be a great thing to see.

Nothing wrong with people learning marketable skills in this world.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:51 PM

430 posts, read 1,314,145 times
Default Vegas should not be first choice for school kids

I haven't lived in Vegas yet. Have to relocate there soon. I have done research, primarily on the school system. I have talked to 2 different district employees and 3 different elementary schools staff trying to get a feel for the schools in the area we are looking at houses. Ugh! Just from talking to people on the phone I dread having to raise my children in Vegas. We can't afford the private schools, I checked and I wasn't real impressed in talking to them either.

If I had a choice as to where to live in a beautiful climate, it would be Tucson, Arizona where I currently reside. I was educated and lived over 30 years East of the Mississippi; Massachusetts, New York State, South Carolina and Mississippi. Overall the schools in Arizona are not the best, but there are suburbs that have very good schools. After living in Tucson for 8 years, we moved to a suburb to get into a good school district, Vail. So live in Vail, good schools. You can get beautiful homes for $90-100/sq ft. There are jobs to, not as good as it used to be, but businesses are still hiring.

Maybe once we move to Vegas and get entrenched we will be pleasantly surprised. I'll keep you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada