Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 05:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Well, you'd need to store power in some form of battery for night time use, which would likely cost a lot unless you designed your whole house for off-grid use (low power appliances, etc.). The only reason net metering of solar is cost effective is because you are allowed to use power from the grid at night. The cost of going fully off grid only makes sense when you're in the sticks and the cost of running power lines to your location is expensive.

I've been told that here in Clark County, it's not an option to go fully off grid. In order to get a certificate of occupancy and legally be able to live in the building, you need to be connected to the power grid.
There are places in Clark County where people are off grid. Cold Creek and the Sandy Valley come to mind. I expect there are many others. May be a need to hook up if you are near power lines but I doubt it.

Fully off grid is not economically viable if you have access to the grid. The Tesla wall (a battery system) changes it a bit but not enough. According to the solar guys NV Energy's proposition would put roof top solar out of business in Southern NV.

Rooftop-solar official: NV Energy proposal spells death of industry | Las Vegas Review-Journal

I would think that roof top solar is inevitable. But the schedule is not nearly as clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 06:56 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Well, you'd need to store power in some form of battery for night time use, which would likely cost a lot unless you designed your whole house for off-grid use (low power appliances, etc.). The only reason net metering of solar is cost effective is because you are allowed to use power from the grid at night. The cost of going fully off grid only makes sense when you're in the sticks and the cost of running power lines to your location is expensive.

I've been told that here in Clark County, it's not an option to go fully off grid. In order to get a certificate of occupancy and legally be able to live in the building, you need to be connected to the power grid.

I was in Kauai a few years ago and I was talking to our tour guide (local guy). He told me his house is off the grid because electricity in Kauai is very expensive. He uses a series of lead acid batteries that charge during the daytime and he is also installing a windmill on his property to produce power. His house is fully LED and uses propane for cooking. I guess this would be not cost effective if you live in Las Vegas since our electric rates are not that expensive. I just thought it was interesting that you would be able to not get a power bill from the local power company ever again.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
How do people completely go off the grid? Just say you disconnect your power from NV energy and you just use what you produce running your solar etc... (just saying if you produce enough power for yourself). Could you actually do this?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...see-story.html

Old 08-03-2015, 10:13 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I was in Kauai a few years ago and I was talking to our tour guide (local guy). He told me his house is off the grid because electricity in Kauai is very expensive. He uses a series of lead acid batteries that charge during the daytime and he is also installing a windmill on his property to produce power. His house is fully LED and uses propane for cooking. I guess this would be not cost effective if you live in Las Vegas since our electric rates are not that expensive. I just thought it was interesting that you would be able to not get a power bill from the local power company ever again.
Actually very easy there. No heat or AC. That leads you with perhaps 10 or 20% of the load you deal with in Las Vegas.

And the electric rates are way higher. So I would think most of none urban Hawaii goes solar over a short span of years.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:45 AM

635 posts, read 745,914 times
Here in Las Vegas, where every home should have solar due to the almost unlimited amount of sunshine we get, NV Energy doesn't want you to have solar energy. As with many companies in Las Vegas all NV Energy wants is your money...who cares about saving you money or the environment.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:10 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
In point of fact, solar still cannot replace the grid. Until it does, the grid is necessary, and needs to be supported. Would any of you like to try to live out there without air conditioning? I really doubt solar is going to be able to support 24/7 AC any time soon.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:08 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
People have been paying for the grid upkeep for as long as there has been an electric company, 'we' paid to build it, 'we' paid to maintain it, now we pay for there shareholders to make profits, I UNDERSTAND WE NEED THE GRID
but the attitude of "Oh people with solar are making NONE SOLAR HOUSES pay for the grid" is RIDICULOUS

Charge solar people a monthly Maintenance fee, but this Charge 12 cents to use, but we pay you 5 cents to manufacture is RIDICULOUS AND GREEDY (and that's all it is, GREED)

Jonathan

Old 08-04-2015, 01:19 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
And this surprises you, why?

Old 08-04-2015, 01:22 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
What we're talking here is about reverse metering, no? No one is saying that you can't put solar panels on your house. There just saying they may not buy back your excess electricity. Why should they have to?

This is the current problem with solar, and other renewables. Without implicit and explicit subsidies, they're not economically viable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
People have been paying for the grid upkeep for as long as there has been an electric company, 'we' paid to build it, 'we' paid to maintain it, now we pay for there shareholders to make profits, I UNDERSTAND WE NEED THE GRID
but the attitude of "Oh people with solar are making NONE SOLAR HOUSES pay for the grid" is RIDICULOUS

Charge solar people a monthly Maintenance fee, but this Charge 12 cents to use, but we pay you 5 cents to manufacture is RIDICULOUS AND GREEDY (and that's all it is, GREED)

Jonathan

Old 08-04-2015, 01:33 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
What I am saying is, that If I generate 10,000KW of power, and USE 10,000KW of power My bill should be $20 a month for the Line maintenance charge -- NV energy wants to make it that if I generate 10,000KW of power, and use 6000 KW during the day and 4000KW at night they can charge me $240 a month.

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada