Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,729,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STICKEY View Post
I've read posts where people ask why 40 or so acres. That you will be out in the middle of nowhere. Well, to me, 15 miles is quite close to be able to have such a large parcel. I'll say the average time for the people that I work with to travel from home to the job is 45 to 60 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I heard what was said about the wet seasons and barren land and alkali and the drinking of large quantities of alcohol. However, if I am only 15 miles from Winnemucca, how bad can it be? I'm not speaking about life or death situations, just everyday life. So that is why IMO so many ask for your responses and disagree with you when you give them. Let me say that I mean no harm or insult when I use the term pov.... flats. One mans feast is another mans famine. In the opening thread I used Street names so the area would/could be known. So if you live on or around those streets; I'ld like your view also. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks. S
I say go for it if this is what you want. 15 miles into town isn't bad. Traffic on Hwy 95 is light and some people do 70 mph (but I think 55 is the limit). I don't know why you need 40 acres. You will never use it for anything. You would pay less property tax for a 10 acre lot. I wonder how you will enjoy the winter months. It could get lonely out there.

Have you ever been to Winnemucca? Since you live on the east coast, you should plan a trip out here and to see if you like it (and I think you will). I wish you luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 02:55 PM

45 posts, read 91,004 times
That is why I mentioned the movable dwelling. I may not want to be there all year long and I can't afford two mortgages. My biggest concern would be what is happening to my things that are on the property while I am away for 2 or 3 or 4 months. I think I can handle everything else, for the most part. Since you asked (I think) and have been kind enough to be one of the responders I will say this: If the laws allowed it, I would have enough space to construct a safe IMO 1 or 2 hundred yard gun range booth or two. The listed value for a 100'x50' lot is easily $40,000 where I live. So some of us look at 1320'x1320' to good to pass up (even if I can't build a mini range). Thanks for the encouragement; and I'm still listening. S

Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Bing Maps (scroll in)
Do you or anyone else know of a site or way to put in all 4 of the long. and lat. so you can look at the exact (almost) parcel? This would give me area with the boundaries. Thanks. S

Old 08-18-2011, 04:04 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,729,028 times
Quote:
Do you or anyone else know of a site or way to put in all 4 of the long. and lat. so you can look at the exact (almost) parcel? This would give me area with the boundaries. Thanks. S
The intersection of Dutch Flat and Maggie Ln is 41.1634N, -117.6290W

Look at Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! and www.msrmaps.com

Google street view works part way down Dutch Flat Rd - then it stops. Good news is that there are power poles along the road towards your property.

Last edited by humboldtrat; 08-18-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
Quote:
Get the APN, look it up on parcel maps online if Humboldt County has progressed that far, or order the parcel map on the property from the county recorder.

Buy this book, give it a good read; http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-True-St.../dp/0688041655

Old 08-19-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
The intersection of Dutch Flat and Maggie Ln is 41.1634N, -117.6290W

Look at Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! and www.msrmaps.com

Google street view works part way down Dutch Flat Rd - then it stops. Good news is that there are power poles along the road towards your property.
Thanks again humboldtrat. I've seen houses or factories on that road via google maps so I was wondering how bad can it be? The more I see and hear, the more I like.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Get the APN, look it up on parcel maps online if Humboldt County has progressed that far, or order the parcel map on the property from the county recorder.

Buy this book, give it a good read; Amazon.com: Outlaw: The True Story of Claude Dallas (9780688041656): Jeff Long: Books
Humboldt County has their database but it can't be viewed by the public yet. I'll call about the parcel map. You are not the first person to mention this book. I may have to go to the library to see if they have it. Thanks. S

Old 08-19-2011, 08:49 AM

It will give you a good insight to your possible new neighbors, in addition to be a heck of a story.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
It will give you a good insight to your possible new neighbors, in addition to be a heck of a story.
Have you ever been to Newark, NJ, above 110th St., NYC or been around 100-125 inmates with the door locked behind you, and you don't have the key; and when they turned off the one light switch it was completely dark? I'm not looking to hasten it, but I realize one way or another, I am going to die. Push come to shove you take your losses and move on to live or stand your ground, knowing that someone may have to pay a price. How many spouses kill each other or their children? With a neighbor at least there is some distance.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:31 PM

I am not concerned about you dieing or getting killed by some deranged neighbor. More that you will get to know them.

We own land in Northern Nevada, one small ranch and one parcel in a defunct town. My wife grew up in Elko and taught school 60 miles from asphalt in a two room school house on the east side of the Rubies. We know Nevada pretty well, and love it. It really is the greatest state, for those who like their landscapes wild and their landscapes empty.

We know of many great places to live in Nevada, but allow me if you will to give you a quick geology lesson. Nevada geologically is a landscape of horsts and grabens. In Nevada the horst and graben complex is sliced by the Humboldt River, which is why the railroad and I80 run along it. The horsts (I will let you look the terms up, it will help you put the puzzle together) erode into the grabens, the result is sharp steep mountains cut by often surprisingly wet canyons. The detritus accumulates in the grabens, which also receive the run off from the surprisingly wet canyons. Today there are ephemeral lakes which in times past were year round lakes. The silt from these lakes form the soil such as it is along the flats or playas. Very fine and unpleasant silt.

When a vehicle gets stuck in this stuff it sinks to the frame, which isn't a huge problem if you have a winch and a tree, problem is, the flats are a bit short on trees. So here is what you do. You take your spare tire, put it out front, dig a hole deep enough to buried the tire, the winch cable is attached to the tire, winch forward, dig up the tire, walk out the length of your winch wire rope, and dig another hole... etc etc.

You have heard of burning man I reckon. During burning man if you are up on one of the ridges surrounding the Black Rock desert the dust column from this fine silty dust rises and if there is no wind it looks like a mushroom cloud, if there is a wind, it looks more like a forest fire, the dust column can rise 10,000 feet into the air from all the bare feet walking and vehicles driving about in the compound.

My point? Do not live in a flat or playa, yes, 40 acres seems like a lot, but in an eastern forest 10 acres is more private and feels more isolated than 40 acres out on a flat.

Look to the horsts, the canyons in the horsts. or at least the uplands. where the heavier detritus settled. Winnemucca is built on the uplands. As is Elko.

When the wind blows you will be glad to be out of the flats.

I could take you to a fine plateau, with grasslands and aspen forests, full of elk, cut with trout streams. Just one of my favorite places in Nevada.

My boy did get to spend some time in the Patterson New Jersey jail. He has some stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada