Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:49 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,201,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I know Omaha had a "booming economy" in the early 1990's, but like Detroit those days are long gone. I guess after looking at the numbers the good thing about Omaha's job growth is at least about equal to the population growth. Omaha job growth between December 2005-2006 was 1.4 percent according to the Bureau of Labor statistics. 1.4% is decent, but hardly a booming economy. However, I am sure those sitting in Omaha corperate board rooms consider it a booming economy, but they are obviously not stepping up on the hiring process as those job numbers indicate.

Omaha area ranks very high on dividens per-capita but that mainly goes to all the old money that sits on corperate boards in Omaha. So that is more then likely what causes per-capita income to be higher then the national average as you said earlier.

For the average Joe=wage per job, The average wage is that 36,000 dollars per job in the Omaha CSA as opposed to 40,000 dollars which is the national average.

Link to the per job wage numbers: www.bea.gov/bea/regional/reis/
go to: local area personal income
then: select ca-34 (average wage per job for 2005)

What what a pile of dog ****e... I've never heard such biased garbage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:48 PM

475 posts, read 2,235,974 times
I guess low unemployment and cost of living reign relatively supreme in the estimation of some... such as Forbe's consideration in their Best Cities for Jobs rank... just released...

http://204.26.90.252/eomaha/forbesjobs.jpg (broken link)

Let's see... MattDen? Forbes? ... MattDen? Forbes?? I think we'll go with Forbes.

Full article: http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/15/bes...ml&partner=rss

Old 10-11-2009, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,059 times
Haha. Great schools?? Where? Maybe in the outlying parts of Nebraska. OPS stinks. And, sadly, they outright refuse to hire older teachers of color...a matter for another discussion. There is absolutely no justification for the high property taxes in inner city Omaha. The entire infrastructure is crumbling and has been for years. Take a look at the streets with no curbs and all the crumbling sidewalks-- so that pedestrians are forced to walk in the streets-- and let's not even talk about some of the shabby little houses. A property owning Omahan receives virtually no services for his/her property tax dollar.

I tried to organize a property tax protest a few years ago, subsequent to receiving a bill which effectively increased my tax bill by some 110% and some racist excuse was given by the tax assessor-- something about everyone being required to pay his/her "fair share." Hahaha-- fair share? Until I see my fair share of a job, and know that I am going to be given "fair" consideration in all the applications I submit for employment-- later for that garbage.

Sorry, my short reply has turned into a rant.

Last edited by canada wry; 10-11-2009 at 12:18 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 02:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,702,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada wry View Post
Haha. Great schools?? Where? Maybe in the outlying parts of Nebraska. OPS stinks. And, sadly, they outright refuse to hire older teachers of color...a matter for another discussion. There is absolutely no justification for the high property taxes in inner city Omaha. The entire infrastructure is crumbling and has been for years. Take a look at the streets with no curbs and all the crumbling sidewalks-- so that pedestrians are forced to walk in the streets-- and let's not even talk about some of the shabby little houses. A property owning Omahan receives virtually no services for his/her property tax dollar.

I tried to organize a property tax protest a few years ago, subsequent to receiving a bill which effectively increased my tax bill by some 110% and some racist excuse was given by the tax assessor-- something about everyone being required to pay his/her "fair share." Hahaha-- fair share? Until I see my fair share of a job, and know that I am going to be given "fair" consideration in all the applications I submit for employment-- later for that garbage.

Sorry, my short reply has turned into a rant.
Sorry, but your short reply didn't turn into a rant. The truth is, you're just using this forum as a microphone for your own flagrant racism.

Heads up here, Reverend Sharpton/Senator Chambers, your racist underwear is showing!

Old 10-11-2009, 02:45 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,697,287 times
Well, when we got our property assessments here this year,e veryone was grumbling at how much it had gone up. So I did what I was used to doing - I got the paperwork from the courthouse, filled it out, took pictures and gave multiple examples in several pages of attachments to prove my points about the assessment of not only my own property but the referenced area - and at the hearing, got my tax assessment lowered by thousands of dollars. Even though I encouraged some of my grumbling neighbors to do the same, no one did.

Taxes here on property are lower than what I am used to back east, but I just naturally have to protest them. Point is that you have to do it the right way. Ranting and raving about it does no good - you have to have proof and take the time to do research and present it in a reasonable and forthright manner. Like with elections - if you don't take the time to research candidates and make an informed vote at every single one, then you really don't have the right to complain...

Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM

370 posts, read 1,358,619 times
Wow, nothing like resurrecting a 2.5 year old thread!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
WCM

2 posts, read 2,742 times
I have a brother-in-law who lives in one of those "low property tax" states. However, in addition to his taxes, he also is asked to pay about $2,000 a year in addition for fire protection services... That's not the case everywhere, but in NE, fire protection generally is included in a city's tax levy... So we always can't just compare tax levies, we need to see what the total cost is...

Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,326,084 times
Whenever I hear that they are raising my property taxes I do the work to document and then to protest the increase. The property taxes here are really bad. Every year, I have to come up with $3800 just for taxes on my house. I would buy a new car except for property and sales tax on a new car. The last time a purchased a new car, (2005) all together it cost me about $3000 to put plates on it. So now I just drive old cars and trucks.

If I had just one more reason to move out of the state I would!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 AM

11 posts, read 25,416 times
We don't really LIKE our high property taxes, but we live with it all things considered. We have lower population than some of those other states, don't want to have gambling in every other establishment like South Dakota, but we like decent state and city services and they are well run unlike some states. That takes taxes and a little higher considering our smaller population base.

That said I DO know people who move to other states citing taxes. Now whether this is short term thinking and they run into higher cost of living in other ways I don't know. But in general taxes are part of a balance we have struck. We grumble about it but don't overthrow it because we can't don't want our way of life to erode.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 PM

370 posts, read 1,358,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
Wow, nothing like resurrecting a 2.5 year old thread!
And bringing it back up another three and a half years later...

A better measure of tax burden calculates property tax, income tax, and others. Kind of like the tables these folks put together:

Tax Institute - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska