Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,552,733 times

Advertisements

Yea looking at weather I think its going to be more north of us SC. And by sunday if we do get anything out of this, she will run into good roads.

I have always been pretty proud of how our state does on roads. But its tough if the wind is blowing.

YOu give your daughter a big ole Nebraska welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 07:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,705,235 times
Thanks, tpabes, and Guru!

She was with me in March when we came out to look at the property, but we drove down from the airport in Rapid. When Hubby and I moved here in April we drove across from I-29 and I've gotten a good look at I-80 and 83. I've already told her the reasons for the gates on the on-ramps! LOL

She liked it here (even ate Rocky Mountain Oysters!) but being in her 20s with a Bio degree she couldn't live where we do. I'd like her to meet a young cowboy (sigh) rather than the bar wasps and yuppie puppies she is used to; but her finding a young man who can tolerate her natcheral cussedness and independence is difficult! (Don't know where that comes from - must be her dad.) I'm not too terribly worried - she can fix a pickup engine or a flat quicker than most men her age, and has a lot of common sense, not to mention emergency supplies. But - she has never driven in snow before. I assumed the interstates would be cleared quickly, but was worried about black ice and snow on the smaller roads. I've been thru states that had excellent and constant plowing - and others, not so much. We got caught in a sudden blowing snowstorm in the Black Hills; three inches in as many hours with drifts, but only one plow - going the opposite direction! - the whole time. So I was nervous...Thanks for the advice!

We did get a LOT of fluffy windblown snow(about two hours' worth) this afternoon and some of it stuck briefly, but it all turned to slush then melted by dark. We've got winds of 28 with gusts to 48 right now, and it feels like more weather moving in. If the roads are icy and the winds are still high, we may call off school tomorrow! Some of our kids live pretty far off the roads and it might be bad for them to try to drive in. Weather Underground is saying three inches tonight; if it is on top of this melted-snow-freezing, it might be a good idea to just sit home and stoke the woodstove!

Last edited by SCGranny; 11-05-2008 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: added snow report

Old 11-06-2008, 01:26 AM

300 posts, read 1,181,312 times
Dang, here it's just windy and chilly. It was BEAUTIFUL on my birthday (yesterday) but windy. Today was pretty nice, I think it was in the 60's. It's 47 now.
There's been some rain, but no snow yet. Thank goodness. I know it's November and all and we've normally had our first snow by this time, but darn it! I'm not ready for cold weather just yet!
I hope your daughter gets in safe SCGranny!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:39 AM

HOLY COW WE HAVE A BLIZZARD GOIN ON!!! ROFLMAO
OK the wind still hasn't died down and the snow is really ripping - totallly AWESOME. We did cancel school. Here is a pic of the house from the end of our garden...

Can you see the house?? LOL

Old 11-06-2008, 09:41 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,204,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
HOLY COW WE HAVE A BLIZZARD GOIN ON!!! ROFLMAO
OK the wind still hasn't died down and the snow is really ripping - totallly AWESOME. We did cancel school. Here is a pic of the house from the end of our garden...

Can you see the house?? LOL

That's awesome SCGranny! I cannot wait until our first snowstorm of the year! (even though we are in the same state, our weather here is slightly less bipolar than yours!)

Old 11-06-2008, 01:07 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,155,767 times
LOL, I always hated the first snowstorm when I lived in Omaha because it seems like everyone forgets thier winter driving skills and there are so many accidents. Its the same in my area but to a lesser extent.

The wind sure is howling, we had a small bit of heavy snow here and it looked like SCgranny's pic for a couple minutes. Although the weather service says your in a Winter Storm warning, looks like a blizzard to me SC. You probably need more snowfall to get the "blizzard" warning. Be careful up there! Should be some nice sized drifts out there. Sounds like our neighbors to the north are just getting hammered. I heard 40 inches in Deadwood.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 PM

947 posts, read 3,576,423 times
We had a little snow earlier, its about 35 degrees.. but winds gusting around 40 here in Ord

Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM

300 posts, read 1,181,312 times
We're supposed to get snow here tonight. It's in the high 30's now and insanely windy. Looks like I spoke of our beautiful weather alittle early!
That's just CRAZY SCGranny!! Wow!
I'm alittle excited about our first snow now that I've accepted the fact that it's getting cold out.

tpabes - Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 PM

Exclamation Still Blowin'

Word up - Merriman and Interior have been without power since 3 pm Wednesday. (Talked to a gal in Merriman - she was leavng her house for a house with power when I called.) Word is that Deadwood SD is at 46 inches and Pine Ridge Indian Res has 20 foot drifts. We only have 4 foot drifts right now but the night is young... Wish I could tell you how hard the wind is REALLY blowing here, but the gauge is frozen. Somehow I don't think it is "5mph" though!!

We brought our dogs with us, a German Spaniel and Afghan hound. The spaniel has only been in snow once; the Afghan was adopted from a puppy mill in FL and never has seen snow. They both LOVE cavorting in the high winds and blizzardy condtions. It is still blowing hard here - I was offline for several hours - and the power has been flickering but no outage yet . Word is that there are over 300 power poles down north and west of us; it could take several days for power to be reinstated. More pics in the AM when the sun comes up....

Old 11-08-2008, 08:48 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,702,506 times
I'm assuming SCG lost power, I hope your ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska