Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:12 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,438,469 times

Advertisements

I was walking up the steps to my father's house just outside of Chicago, and as I reached the top step I suddenly was face to face with a HUGE spider web. It was easily 8 feet wide, blocking the entire entryway onto the porch, and was about 4 feet tall.

The spider had spun it overnight.

I searched to find the spider and this is what I found. The body was about 1 or 1.5" long. The white cross over the back of the spider was striking, and almost seemed to glow.

Do you know what kind of spider it is?
Attached Thumbnails
This spider made a HUGE web....  what is it?-spider.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 PM

37,368 posts, read 41,636,589 times
Default European Garden Spider

What Kind Of Spider Is Tan With A White Cross On It's Back? - Blurtit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneus_diadematus

Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 PM

12,203 posts, read 8,605,039 times
Do you think it could be the third on down in this list of Illinois spiders?

Spiders of Illinois

Old 10-12-2015, 10:41 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,438,469 times
Thanks - Yes, I think you both got it. So it was pretty common afterall.

Orb webs.... that's what the web was.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,339,635 times
They're amazing artists and engineers, aren't they?

Old 10-13-2015, 03:06 PM

44,440 posts, read 20,213,850 times
I didn't know the name of it, but I've seen spiders like it in my yard.

In August and September, every time I walk out of the house I'm confronted with webs in new places, some made by spiders like the one in OP's picture. It's a little late in the season for spider activity in my neighborhood, but just last night when I walked from my car to my front porch I walked into a huge web that got me right across the face as well as the rest of me. Eeeeeeew! I hate it when I get a sticky web on me. Thankfully, its crafter was nowhere to be seen. However, I was picking pieces of web off my face and hair for several minutes.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:12 PM

1,273 posts, read 996,975 times
Orb weaver.

Love these guys, even though a face full of Web and a spider in my hair isn't the greatest surprise in the world. They seem to like building webs across door frames :/

Old 10-13-2015, 03:18 PM

44,440 posts, read 20,213,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Orb weaver.

Love these guys, even though a face full of Web and a spider in my hair isn't the greatest surprise in the world. They seem to like building webs across door frames :/
Yep, that's my experience. They build them all around my large front porch, across the openings, over the steps, from the door to the railing, from the door to the bench. They also build them out in the yard, from tree to tree and shrub to shrub. (Well, it may be a different species; I'm talking spiders in general now.) It's amazing how they can re-build a web in just a few hours. They're quite beautiful.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:20 PM

5,649 posts, read 6,015,792 times
Orb weavers are amazing spiders.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:44 PM

3,981 posts, read 4,318,922 times
I love it when I go outside in the morning and it is a little foggy and the fog/dew is clinging to the webs. It looks so beautiful. And when the sun comes out and makes them sparkle, it is darn near magical. Sigh. Makes the occasional walk-through-a-web worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature