Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 08:44 AM

206 posts, read 185,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
You will need a smog test to get car registered in TN. Most cars/brands should have the same pollution equipment & meet safety standards. Your dealer will know best. One little difference is converting to Miles from Kilometers. Most cars should have easy conversion of KPH to MPH. There's no Highway 401 to do 100 speed limit here.
Lol yes no hwy 401 or QEW.
My car has both miles and kms so it wont be a problem i guess.
Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
In Tennessee, I don't expect that original registration matters. Canada/USA brands anymore are identical. So in TN I wouldn't expet it matters where the car was registered. Of course, that's if the car doesn't have tons of rust beneath the surface and/or anything unique to damage in very cold climates. And if you intend to drive the car several more years, then why should it matter? Used to live in Michigan, and we bought cars all the time that were originally sold in Ontario. We never made a distinction. I doubt folks in TN have any qualms about where the car was from. I have noticed that here the 'car guys' are especially astute and know what to look for in a pre-owned vehicle. And they'll jump at any chance to deduct the value. Had a BMW once that had a quirky AC system as designed (if you know about the mid-1990 5 series). The guy I was trading with said he'd need to dock me for the AC that 'doesn't work'. I said it does and had to show him how to turn it on... frigid air came out in the middle of February. He said it's cold outside. I said, "leave it on in the garage for an hour. Your b#lls will fall off from the cold." He took me at my word. I guess he didn't want to prove I was right. LOL
Thanks Shinestx for your detailed reply. I thought it is going to be a big problem driving canadian car here in Tennessee.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:22 PM

Smile Diversity in Nashville

Coming from Canada where there are mixed people everywhere. We never had a problem with discrimination at all. Canadians are very accepting.
Our kids are mixed. I belong to jewish family and my wife is Chinese Christian.
How accepting is Nashville to other races and religions?Do kids face discrimination in schools ?

Old 01-10-2021, 10:57 AM

194 posts, read 191,924 times
Interesting question. I'm white and with someone of a different race. I feel like I say this a lot on here, but it may matter where you live. I live downtown and no one is from Nashville, and no one cares about seeing the two of us together.

I suspect that as you leave the core, you could run into some ignorant people. For example, the two of us attended an event a few months ago in a town around 30 miles outside of Nashville. I noticed a few white women were looking at us a little too intently. Nothing terrible or concerning and actually kind of funny if you ask me. Perhaps they just wondered how they land a guy as amazing as me haha.

But, overall, I think you'll be fine (white/Asian combo isn't typically "offensive" even to the racists). I can't speak on school since I'm kid free.

Old 01-10-2021, 02:20 PM

13,360 posts, read 40,018,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian2021 View Post
Coming from Canada where there are mixed people everywhere. We never had a problem with discrimination at all. Canadians are very accepting.
Our kids are mixed. I belong to jewish family and my wife is Chinese Christian.
How accepting is Nashville to other races and religions?Do kids face discrimination in schools ?
There are 140 languages spoken in Nashville's public schools, and 1/3 of the public school students in Nashville speak a language other than English at home. And while not huge, Nashville's Jewish community is bigger than many people think, with 5 synagogues, several preschools, and a day school.

You'll be fine.

https://www.newamericaneconomy.org/n...les-diversity/

https://www.jewishnashville.org/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-10-2021, 06:38 PM

Thanks jmt.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:06 PM

I saw renting and real estate jumped quiet a lot in Nashville and surrounding in last year. Covid seems to have no effect on pricing of housing. Do you guys think it ll drive upwards to there could be a slump in future. Obviously we dont have a crystal ball but just your two cents are needed

Old 01-20-2021, 07:51 AM

382 posts, read 490,144 times
Home values will continue to climb due to demand for the foreseeable future. I've noticed rent seems to be plateauing just a little bit. 2021 may see an even steeper increase in average home values, compared to 2020.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:45 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,515,257 times
I'm afraid there's no looking back for Nashville. It is now on a short list for every corporate relocation in the country and starting to see big international relocations, especially with North American HQs. It has hit that 2 million metro population, so called sweet spot for fast growing metros.

Zillow just named Nashville as the third hottest housing market for the coming year behind Austin and Phoenix. United Van Lines places Nashville 7th last year for net moves and likely moving up this year. U Haul ranked Tennessee first in net moves last year for the first time ever. We know what's causing that. Lots of people/companies escaping certain poorly governed/high tax states. Nashville is a jobs engine and only getting started. Amazon hasn't even ramped up its hiring yet and Oracle is rumored to be ready to build a huge complex on the east bank. Not to be overlooked, the local colleges and universities are growing like crazy. There are 10,000 housing units under construction in the inner loop at this moment. Permits have been pulled for another 13,000. And still prices are on a rapid climb.

So I don't know anyone who expects there to be a housing bust anytime soon.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:47 AM

Thanks shinestx and somewhereoutthere.

I was following housing market since last year when I joined my company. And its quiet an increase in housing. We would like to buy a house eventually but was weighing in if we should buy this year or wait and rent right now and buy next year or so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville