Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
They don't bother me at all. For some reason, cars do. I guess it's where and how I grew up.!
Here's the essence of it. You're not there anymore. You're here. You either like it, or you dont. You adjust, or you dont.

People here often dont have the money or the inclination to spend their money on anything more than a normal sized driveway. Hence they simply park in the front yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Somehow this thread turned into a conversation about HOA's. I only brought it up to let the OP know they have options and what "can" happen if they don't live in one. There are people up north that park in their yard, make noise and leave trash around too. It seems to be more common here but, whatever...so what. If that's something that bothers someone then they can live in an HOA development. Also someone said they are cookie cutter which is completely not true. There are tons of sub-divisions here with HOA's that have beautiful homes, large yards and the houses have all different floor plans. Some of them had different builders so they have a large variety of styles. The rule about boats in the driveway is because they are trying to keep the neighbor looking neat and not have large objects blocking the homes but if you have a boat you want to keep in the driveway, then buy a house with an HOA that doesn't have that rule or don't live in an HOA. Someone said people from up north love HOA's, this is not true either. Most people I talk to say they don't want an HOA or would prefer not to have one. The problem is, there are so many here which leave little options for buyers but not in Conway where the OP is looking. Again, I was just letting them know the options. I wish I knew what I was getting myself into when I moved to Conway and didn't buy into an HOA. My neighbors grass is two feet high most of the time and they park on the yard. Most of you have already read my dealings with the neighbors and the gun shooting, animal neglect etc...This is all bad to me but I blame myself for not doing enough research because if I did I would have found out what I'm trying to convey to the OP. Now if those things don't bother someone or maybe they do it themselves, then that's their prerogative as a home owner. I do think common courtesy should come into play and safety issues but like someone else said, I guess I would just have to mind my own business.

Anyone have more info. for the OP about Conway - Florence and what to expect?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:04 AM

540 posts, read 1,678,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Now if those things don't bother someone or maybe they do it themselves, then that's their prerogative as a home owner. I do think common courtesy should come into play and safety issues but like someone else said, I guess I would just have to mind my own business.

Anyone have more info. for the OP about Conway - Florence and what to expect?
I'm right outside of Conway. I live in a development that is supposed to have an HOA, but for some reason, it isn't in effect yet. I wish it was. That's why we moved to this particular housing development.

These are not cookie cutter houses either. 3 builders, giving you many choices in homes. The driveways are ample to park 4 cars in them. Some people choose their lawns instead. Why? No clue.

When you get into an HOA, you have rules to follow, yes. So what's so wrong with having to pick the same garbage company? Only 1 comes out this way anyhow, so no big deal to me! (that's not even one of our "rules" but just using that as an example because in some HOA's it is). My parents live in a wonderful gated community, pay a tiny amount for HOA fees, AND they get their lawn mowed, garbage pick up, etc. The downfall? They can't live like slobs and park their cars wherever they want. They can't have boats on their property, or motorcycles (they can park the bikes up front, however). Wow. Difficult rules huh?!

Seriously, if I wanted to live in the ghetto, I would have moved there. Southerners are known for their kindness and hospitality. Does this go out the window when it comes to common courtesy and their neighbors? Heck, I was all ready to bake them a loaf of Italian bread and bring over a bottle of wine like the old fashioned "Welcoming Committee". I just can't wrap my mind around the excuses given why I have to mind my own business or that slovenly behavior has to be tolerated, with no consideration of your neighbors. Since we're not the only ones that complained to the developer, I don't believe we are in the wrong.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Also someone said they are cookie cutter which is completely not true. There are tons of sub-divisions here with HOA's that have beautiful homes, large yards and the houses have all different floor plans. Some of them had different builders so they have a large variety of styles.
My definition of cookie cutter= Brand new, no character, and I dont give a - what the layout is. They're blah. Boring. Awful. No history, no real details. They're like a soulless trophy for the owner, neat and pretty but lacking everywhere else. I am biased though. I HATE new houses and the developers that build them on what is usually a piece of land that was gorgeous until people showed up.

This is cookie cutter to me.

So is this.

And this.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Doesn't matter what your definition is, cookie cutter means houses all look the same hence the name "cookie cutter". Which again has nothing to do with the OP.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:05 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Gee, they look like pretty nice homes to me.

"...what is usually a piece of land that was gorgeous until people showed up."

Where do you live Colddiamond, in a tree house?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Gee, they look like pretty nice homes to me.

"...what is usually a piece of land that was gorgeous until people showed up."

Where do you live Colddiamond, in a tree house?
I agree, they look pretty nice to me, too! The term cookie cutter house always referred to those that looked the same when you looked down the street. Same house, plot after plot, with little variation.

Ours had 3 builders with many variations. Now they are down to 2 builders with variations. Hopefully they'll get another builder so they DON'T become cookie cutters!

This development was built on a tobacco farm, so this is definitely an improvement to the area. Sadly, the tobacco did so much damage to the land that very little grows in the (horrible) soil. No, I'm not advocating plowing under all farms to build houses, just the opposite actually. I'm just not fond of tobacco

I was kind of wondering what Colddiamond meant as well...do you live on the ocean or in the air?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:45 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times
As entertaining as I am finding this thread, I thought I would re-post the OP's original question since it seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&R View Post
About a year ago around this time my husband and I make a few trips to VA determined to relocate there from the hustle and bustle of NJ. A lot has happened since, (we LOVE VA), but the search continues for various reasons. Week after Memorial Day we're flying to Myrtle Beach then on to Effingham outside Florence for a look around. If we can find a decent rental for a year or so, we'll make the move and keep our house on the dodgy market here. Just can't see ourselves staying here another year, let alone a couple of months. NJ is no longer a place any middle-class family can live in, and the latest tax laws have not helped. I'd like to hear from anyone who lives in the general area (MB towards Conway, Florence) about your move there or what one can expect as a new arrival. We would love to be somewhere we could grow a decent veggie garden, and have a yard our dog could play in. Thanks for listening, have a lovey day!

J&R

Old 05-29-2010, 06:19 PM

No, smart alec, I dont live in a tree house...though that WOULD be cool. The other houses are nothing more than new trophy houses...there's no story to them at all, and alot less craftsmanship.

THIS is more my style. Nothing new..As I said before I HATE new houses. They're crap.

But, whatever. Good luck dealing with your neighbor, OP. You'll probably need it.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102

But, whatever. Good luck dealing with your neighbor, OP. You'll probably need it.
Oh, I finally agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area