Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,331 times

Advertisements

I live in myrtle beach, Carolina forest area, and want to teach music to autistic or special needs children, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:20 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,139,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunesForTots View Post
I live in myrtle beach, Carolina forest area, and want to teach music to autistic or special needs children, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?
Contact the school board.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 PM

33 posts, read 100,212 times
Contact Horry County Schools or contact The Theraputic Learning Center in Conway 843 488 6222 and speak with Dr. Connaut, or Dr C as he is referred to by everyone. They are a wonderful group of people there and are ever expanding their services for the children.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:32 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,133,003 times
So great to hear this!Fabulous!!

Old 05-05-2014, 02:21 PM

61 posts, read 135,613 times
Hi! Wanted to ask AutismMyrtleBeach what the school programs are like for middle school students who have moderate autism? Are there small classes? Do they use ABA or VB? What about higher functioning kids? Will they mainstream them for some classes? Want to find out because I have lots of family in MB and it would be ideal, but I have had so much trouble getting any answers on the type of programming that they have in the schools. Please help!
Thanks!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 PM

The school district I am in is North Myrtle Beach and they have an autism classroom, children can be mainstreamed partially or fully or not at all, depending on the child. There is also, Theraputic Learning Center in Conway, bus transport is provided to and from, they operate on a slightly shorter schedule. The staff there is wonderful and they really go all out for the kids. Small class sizes, group and individual therapy etc are provided there. My son is Aspergers and he attends there. They just launched their high school program this year, which he will be attending next year. They also have virtual school and other options too. There are also support agencies and advocate centers available if you need in home behavior mod or family support services. If you want more info private message me and I will provide you with what info and contact numbers I have so you may inquire further.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,072 times
Am looking into services for my 2 children for special needs. My oldest is 19 and my youngest is 12. Trying to find out what services are available in this area. Moving from PA so any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 AM

Hummingbird, thanks so much and sorry that i was late on the reply! I really appreciate your message and it was very helpful! Was it a difficult process to enter you son into the school in Conway? Did the district recommend it to you or was there a series of meetings that you had to go through to allow him to go there? Thanks again for the help!

Old 08-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Well, I already had an IEP in place when we moved so it was a matter of holding a meeting to put everything on SC paperwork. They told me that either the IEP team could choose to send him there or I could choose to myself. Since he was already in a special needs school when we moved from MD the transition was easy. I would call the school, I hear they have a new principle coming in this year, although nothing formally announced, so the next best person to contact would be Mrs. Ogburn 843-488-6222. She will be extremely helpful with whatever questions you may have. Depending on your needs I can also give you some contact info for other agencies to get any wrap around services, therapies etc you will need. Just let me know.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:59 PM

Default thanks Hummingbird

I had no idea that they even had wrap around services! Wow! I would love to know more about that if you don't mind? thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area