Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 56,022 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering a move to Myrtle Beach after retirement. A burning question, though, is where do the local residents play golf? In Pennsylvania there are many private and public golf courses that offer annual memberships, but there seems to be only a couple in the MB area. With so many residents they can't all belong to the couple of very expensive private courses. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 06:08 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wiley View Post
I am seriously considering a move to Myrtle Beach after retirement. A burning question, though, is where do the local residents play golf? In Pennsylvania there are many private and public golf courses that offer annual memberships, but there seems to be only a couple in the MB area. With so many residents they can't all belong to the couple of very expensive private courses. Any help would be appreciated.
Bill, there are memberships. I just read of one with the Wizzard and Man O' War. That particular article mentioned the membership fee and then just a cart fee when you attend.
Here is what you need to do. Go into the Senior Center by the baseball stadium and Broadway at the Beach.( 16th street) Get the Senior Golf Booklet...
It will cost fourty dollars as you must join the Senior Center also. You get a booklet that you paste your picture on. Roughly there is about 75 or 80 courses that are discounted. This booklet is good for one years worth of discounted golf. They will Email you all the deals, many NOT in the senior booklet. The emails are fantastic. Some include buffets, pig roasts, and lunches........Be sure to sign up for the emails.

Many people do not like to join just one course and use that same one over and over. With the amount of courses in our near Myrtle Beach there is no need to lock into one course. This area has well over one hundred courses.

Another idea is to join this other membership below.
If you go to Indigo Creek or Island Green and/or Wicked Stick you can join as a member and it will include those and a few other courses. Then all year long you can have a very low rate to golf. It is not a costly membership at all........The rate to golf is hard to believe.

There is also in the newspaper something you can join.....The Myrtle Beach Pass. This is a card for you to have discounted golfing......

If you move into a golfing community like Indian Wells,True Blue or Indigo Creek Woodlake, or say Island Green.........You can join and golf for a very minimal fee.( many others)

Best of luck to you on your move. There is so much to see and enjoy.

The deals off season are wonderful. Legends big buffet breakfast and golf was one of those email deals......The guys loved it.
Another great deal was the pig roast and golf......way to many to mention.

Have no fear.......There is plenty of great golfing at great pricing.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the response. I feel better now about living in a resort area that caters to tourists. My big fear is not finding a group to play with and competing with tourists for playing time. We are looking to settle in Murrells Inlet area (really like Blackmoor) or in Spring Mill Plantation situated between Farmstead and Meadowlands golf courses.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:04 PM

Its rare to have a specials come up for Blackmoor. We love that area though, and the Prince Creek Diner is run by a wonderful fellow from up North. You will latch onto a group from the location that you live at, I wouldn't worry about it. Farmstead and Medowlands come up in the specials all the time. Many courses with discounts are even in the border area of North Carolina. The guys didn't have much trouble finding times they would like to play.
Blackmoor is a great location. You might even see Dustin Johnson who places at the TPClub off of 707 nearby. That course is beautiful too.
By the way........You can also join the Signature Golf Group which is a few(7+) different courses. ( Golf Digest Promotion right now.)

Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 AM

I was sure that all of the local residents had a way to get their golf in amongst the tourists. I just didn't know how, and could not find anyone to speak with that did know.
Our interest in living in the Calabash or Prince Creek area is motivated by them being less congested than golf related. Thanks again for the great info.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:56 PM

I can understand exactly what you mean. If you do join one of the developments with golf you will most likely get first choice of times....ahead of the tourists.
Areas off of 707 are quite nice, quieter and less congested somewhat, without tourists. They are about to widen that highway soon, and another new highway from Conway into 707 will be coming in.
I still love that location...not all that far from the beach and yet hidden from the masses.
Personally I love the Blackmoor area and the TPC. There are some very nice well built homes just outside of those communities also.
Another good choice a bit further south is True Blue in the Pawleys area.
We always spend some time at the Calabash area, and there is good golfing there.......
But, we have found that this Myrtle area has year round things to do like the Coastal Mall and the Market Commons, along with the shows in the area. It gives us a more rounded time when we are south. Plus you can't beat the restaurants in Murrells Inlet on the marsh.
The back roads and the short cuts are a good thing to know.......A few lead over to 501 and avoids all that traffic.!
The Senior Center will be a wealth of information to you. It important to sign up for those emails.
There is daily offers, and then a monthly sheet arrives for printing.......
Best of luck in your move, the area is a ton of fun......Golf included.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:21 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Barefoot Resort has 4 golf courses...when you buy a home, you have the option of joining the golf club...and then, you play for only the cost of the cart.....hubby LOVES it!

Old 10-20-2012, 05:36 PM

There are 100 or so courses in Myrtle Beach and surrounds. It would be hard to just stick to one course and call that "home." The golfers I know want to go near and far to visit all the different courses. I think that part of the joy of golfing for them is the unique design of so many courses. Some having more water to deal with, some having mogals, more tropical, more water bound, and each its own signature course.
Part of the "golfers heaven" around here is the amount of choices they have as they take off on the journey.
Along the way is a mass of Golf stores. What more could a golfer want?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 AM

56 posts, read 159,867 times
Farmstead has a nice membership deal.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM

I think Blackmoor is a good choice in home location with golf all nestled into the area. Blackmoor and Prince Creek are both located in super spots. TPC is where Dustin Johnson owned a home and was his stomping grounds. Being in that low country area off of, or on 707, is a good thing. First off it is a nice quiet placement for ones home, second off it isn't all that far from the ocean or the shopping areas.
There are so many gorgeous golf courses around that it is almost a crime just to join one. When you have this world before you of so many designs and settings of great courses why stick to the same ole' course.
Myrtle Beach and surrounds did well in this latest storm it wasn't more then a light stormy day. We were pretty lucky with this storm and it seems many hit further north in NC rather then stop here.
I think your on the right track. Let us know your choice. It is always nice knowing we have new neighbors in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area