Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM

315 posts, read 768,109 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am considering relocating to the Myrtle Beach area, but I'm just beginning my research. Any information you can share will be most appreciated.

Let me tell you a little about us. We are a 30something couple with 3 kids ages 13, 9 and 8. My husband is an electrician and I am an administrative assistant.

We would be looking to rent at first, (preferably a single family home). We
want to be in a family friendly neighborhood that is close to schools, shopping and restaurants, but not right in the middle of the touristy action during the in season. We like newer areas, not like an old town main street setting. I would love to know about schools and whether they're year round or have a traditional summer. Is construction plentiful, will my husband be able to find work easily, (he does commercial work)? How about taxes? What is the sales tax rates and do you pay it on groceries? What neighborhoods/school districts should we look at/stay away from? What is the current price for a gallon of regular gas? Anything else you think would be helpful?

Yes, I could look up these things online, but in my opinion, information is so much more accurate when it comes from real people.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 PM

42 view and nobody can tell me anything?

Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,787,452 times
I think a lot of people view your post and see that it's the same question that has been asked on here many times and they have already answered it. A lot of the members here have been on here a long time.

Use the search feature in the tool bar at the top of this page and type things in like "schools", "taxes" etc...and you will come up with hundreds of threads about the subject.

IMO, everything you would be looking for is in the Carolina Forest area, so maybe you can do some research on that and see what you think. It is a high traffic area (some people think) but if you want to be close to everything, there's going to be traffic. There are usually houses for rent and for sale in that area. Good luck!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 AM

343 posts, read 727,119 times
Barli,

I think many have probably avoided replying because they may have to tell you what you don't want to hear. But, here goes. First and foremost, there are no jobs to be had here. Construction is at a standstill, so an electrician would have a tough time finding work. Horry County is somewhere around the state average of 11.5% unemployment. Fast food restaurants are not accepting applications. A majority of the people here who are making it are either northerners who have retired here with full pockets or locals who are professionals (lawyers, doctors, teachers, etc.) The politicians in this area don't seem to be interested in attracting industry to the area. They are content to accept the idea that this is a tourism, retirement driven economy.

Family friendly probably means Carolina Forest. Lots of variably priced homes for rent or sale. Carolina Forest has good schools, arguably the best in the county, and are on a traditional schedule. On the other hand Carolina Forest is based on US. 501 and is home to some horrendous traffic when tourists come and go. Stay away from Myrtle Beach Schools as they have many of the problems of inner city schools.

Property taxes are cheap relative to most other states. Sales tax is 6% in the state, but with local taxes added for this and that, some sales tax charges at restaurants, hotels, and shops can run as high as 11% depending where you are. Food (grocery store) and prescriptions are not taxed. Got gas this morning at a Sunoco station for $2.34/gal.

Don't mean to be all doom and gloom, as the people here are some of the friendliest I've ever lived around. The weather is great year round. The beach is here (about 20 minutes from Carolina Forest). Lots of sports and cultural things to do with MB Pelicans, Coastal Carolina U. sports and fine arts. Maybe, if it's your long term goal to move here, look forward to coming when the economy improves. The area is still poised for another growth spurt as more and more baby-boomers retire. But like everything else, it's all going to depend on the economy turning around. Good luck to you.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 AM

194 posts, read 749,307 times
It is a good idea to look for work first and then worry about finding a place to live. Electrician job (http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/trd/1257938528.html - broken link) posted on Craigslist might work for your husband but there is likely to be a great deal of competition so act fast.

There are plenty of nice communites in the Myrtle Beach area that would fit your needs for being close to amenities and good schools.
As far as taxes Horry County keeps adding taxes on purchases for road construction and now tourism promotion. Georgetown County taxes are lower for now but that could all change.
Gas prices have been going down and my last purchase was $2.29.
I am not aware of year round school but you can research Horry County Schools and Georgetown County Schools.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:53 AM

Thank you for the replies. So, from what I'm gathering, I would love the area, but would not have an income to speak of. Hmmm....why does that seem to be the norm in the south?

Old 07-12-2009, 05:10 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,551,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post
Thank you for the replies. So, from what I'm gathering, I would love the area, but would not have an income to speak of. Hmmm....why does that seem to be the norm in the south?
It's true all over this state even up here in the Upstate. Do some searches and read through the other threads in the state forum; you will find all the answers you are looking for.

If you have a job where you are I'd stay put for awhile before you get serious about this move unless being penniless is your cup of tea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area