Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 PM

18 posts, read 141,482 times

Advertisements

We will be making the drive from Chicago to Myrtle Beach in April.
Is anybody familiar with this drive? How scenic is it?
Any nice places to stop along the way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 PM

53 posts, read 332,269 times
I drove from Detroit to Myrtle beach in 1 day w/ a U-haul. It was hell. Most of my travel was at night, but I remember Columbia WV had a golden dome, amish in pennsylvania, and the large tunnels in Virgina.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 60,277 times
I'm from Columbia SC and my wife is from Chicago and we make that trip occasionly. Do you have an idea on what highways you will take to come down. Because that will make a difference on the time it takes to get down here , and the cities that you will go through. But it takes us around 10-12 hours depending on the weather conditions. I've been driving through Indianapolis, kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina to get to SC. I think that's the best scenic route and you'll go through a couple of big cities. Make sure you stop by Asheville NC, it has some beautiful scenery. Hope you have a great and safe trip.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 AM

18 posts, read 141,482 times
both mapquest and my GPS are saying to drive through Indy, Lexington, Knoxville, Columbia then to MB.
Everything I have seen says about 15.5 hours.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:49 PM

882 posts, read 3,536,886 times
That sounds about right. I made the drive up to Schaumburg two years ago. Drove to Columbia, then Ashville, over to Knoxville, up 75 to Lexington/Louisville KY area then 65 in from there.

I broke it up over two days due to pulling a trailer and being able to take my time. Ran into a good snow storm about two hours outside the city... Fun stuff.

I thought the Louisville area was pretty neat (for what I saw) but there was a whole lot else that stood out.. some of the mountain areas around Knoxville maybe..

Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 AM

497 posts, read 1,175,947 times
You are going to love the drive. Yes, some dry areas, but you'll see some beautiful country. The best part? You get to avoid Ohio. We make the drive from Michigan and go through Ohio. Hate it. Not only is it the most boring state on the map, the entire state is a speed trap. Sorry to offend any Ohioans, but it's the truth. Most of all, enjoy Myrtle Beach. Fell in love with that area when my hubby was stationed at Ft. Bragg in 1971. Would move there in a heartbeat. We go back as often as we can. Be sure and hit Charleston if you have the time. It's only about 90 miles down the coast. Savannah is about the same the other direction. Have fun...I envy you!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 29,763 times
Follow gps route and if u have kids make sure to bring portable devices such as DVD player with screen, psp, laptop, etc..... It's best to leave in the night before 3 am in order to avoid driving through the mountains, hills and curves In the dark and on the return trip home it's better to leave S.C. In the morning in order to have daylight on your side in the mountains. I was born and raised in Johnsonville, S.C. (about 40 minutes from Myrtle Beach) I have lived in Michigan City, Indiana for 16 years now, my parents still live there so I make the trip at least 2x a year. Having Sirius radio or anything comparable to that with good music for the driver also eases the pain from no radio reception. It's easier to fly but more fun and sightseeing driving. God Bless and drive safely.

Magnificent Mike

Old 01-25-2012, 05:27 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Hubby flew to MDW and drove a car back to Greenville last summer using the same route you are planning. His biggest tip for the male driver; take your wallet out of your pocket!

Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 AM

84 posts, read 393,319 times
I just made the trip a few weeks ago from Wisconsin with my son, we stayed for a week at the Ocean Reef resort while he had his winter break, we have been going down to Myrtle Beach once or twice a year for about 8 years or so.

Get this, while on the road this last time my gps sent me a different way, as I'm driving past Lexington Kentucky I take 75 down normally, but this time it had me taking 64 east bound, I felt something was wrong but was talking on the phone and kept driving, ( did I just say I was talking and driving ) well after about a half hour I pull over and check my gps, my Tennessee map was corrupt so the thing was bypassing the state in trying to get me there :, Oh if this ever happens to you don't, I repeat don't take side roads when you back track thinking your going to save time, ill leave it at that, I wont even bring up the fine people living along my side route

Anyway we take 94 to 65, 65 to 64 at Louisville, 64 to 75 at Lexington, 75 to 40 Asheville, 40 to 26 all the way Columbia, 26 to 20 from Columbia to Florence.

If you Google rest stops on I64, I75, or what ever Hyway you need there are sites that tell you what mile marker the rest stops are at, and what they have like showers, or vending machines and other useful info.

As for seeing things I would stop somewhere in NC maybe the areas close to where the Biltmore estate is.

Have fun!
Frozen

Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
I just made the trip a few weeks ago from Wisconsin with my son, we stayed for a week at the Ocean Reef resort while he had his winter break, we have been going down to Myrtle Beach once or twice a year for about 8 years or so.

Get this, while on the road this last time my gps sent me a different way, as I'm driving past Lexington Kentucky I take 75 down normally, but this time it had me taking 64 east bound, I felt something was wrong but was talking on the phone and kept driving, ( did I just say I was talking and driving ) well after about a half hour I pull over and check my gps, my Tennessee map was corrupt so the thing was bypassing the state in trying to get me there :, Oh if this ever happens to you don't, I repeat don't take side roads when you back track thinking your going to save time, ill leave it at that, I wont even bring up the fine people living along my side route

Anyway we take 94 to 65, 65 to 64 at Louisville, 64 to 75 at Lexington, 75 to 40 Asheville, 40 to 26 all the way Columbia, 26 to 20 from Columbia to Florence.

If you Google rest stops on I64, I75, or what ever Hyway you need there are sites that tell you what mile marker the rest stops are at, and what they have like showers, or vending machines and other useful info.

As for seeing things I would stop somewhere in NC maybe the areas close to where the Biltmore estate is.

Have fun!
Frozen
Myrtle Beach doesn't really have a direct route from up north. Sounds like you were going 64 to 77 maybe through Charlotte? I wouldn't think that would be the best way to go (my family lives off 64 in WV) but i can see where gps would get confused because of the location of MB. So...set your gps for Columbia, SC and then Columbia to Myrtle Beach and if it takes you to a state highway around Columbia don't be afraid...it is a good route.

Maybe someday they'll get that highway built from up north (I think it starts in MI or OH) into MB and that might make it easier for you folks. We moved from Chicago to SC because it was too far to drive (for us) in one day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area