Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:33 AM

20 posts, read 58,732 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...

Okay...I have been researching for a couple of months and browsed through some of the sites here, but decided to just post my own thread finally.

Our family may be relocating from the Northern VA area and have narrowed it down to possibly the MYRTLE BEACH area or SUMMERVILLE (Charleston area). We have visited and LOVE MB (possibly Carolina Forest), but keep hearing/reading that SUMMERVILLE is a very nice place for "families"... however, we have never been to the Charleston area.

It is becoming more and more confusing, esp since this will be a major move; school systems are very important, as well as crime rate, etc. too. I have looked at greatschools.net and some others, but would love to hear from others out there. The school system here is excellent, and need to have something comparable to it, but we are truly looking for "quality of life" more than anything.

FYI -- We initially considered moving back to my hometown in Upstate NY where we have family, but I cannot handle the COLD!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Last edited by grose58; 11-24-2008 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 04:29 AM

27 posts, read 89,495 times
spent a week looking in summerville area and found alot of very nice communities for families. the town has every store you need for food-clothes-etc and resturants. did not find alot of cultural activities but as a town to raise a family with reasonable house prices and good schools it hard to beat. that being said its not that close for me to the beach or to go into charleston. i live a hour from boston mass and hardly ever go into town for dinner- sports or other events. i loved cain bay area in summerville but it would be a effort to go to charleston or the ocean on a regular basis. myrtle beach- conway-has all the above and closer to the beach. if you have a bigger budget then a me you should checkout mt.pleasant area -good schools-family area-and close to the ocean if you head down to charleston. im leaning more now to the conway area of myrtle myself good luck from cold snowy western mass area

Old 11-28-2008, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 9,548 times
Default MB/Summ.

My wife daughter and I have moved to MB from upstate NY (plattsburgh area) There is no work right now in Myrtle. We were told to secure jobs but we didn't listen. I like Myrtle beach. And some of the school districts are good. But we have also looked into the Charleston area. And I have heard that a lot of people live in Summerville and travel into Charleston. Houses on Average are cheaper than Mt. Pleasant and Charleston. I think we might start looking for work down there and possibly relocate. We rented our home in NY and rent here. Which I am glad we did before buying. I am a carpenter and can find work anywhere. My wife with a bach. degree and excellent work history as an accountant can not find work here. I do like the fact that there is a lot for my daughter to do in MB but I am sure she won't run out of things to do in Charl./Summ. I also will not move back up to the Canadian border/tundra. Nice in the summer but the winters are long, cold, dark and brutal. Thank you, Bryan Whanda And Katelynn

Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 AM

THANKS, bryan29ny! I really appreciate all of your input.... Yeah, as tempting as it is to go back to Upstate NY....don't think I can handle those long, brutal cold winters.

We will continue to research the Summerville area....my brother and his family will probably be making the move with us, if we decide on this area. We want to come down and check out the area first, though. We also see from the posts that Mt. Pleasant is nice.... and closer to the beach. Not sure if being closer is "better" -- esp with possible hurricanes?? We also need to narrow down neighborhoods and school sytems in Summerville...heard "Dorchester 2" district is good. Hope that's true.

THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH FOR THE INFO!!

Gina

Old 11-29-2008, 10:48 AM

THANKS, thomaspat, for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. It's hard making life-changing decisions for relocation...esp when you've been in one area most of your life. We really LOVE MB...but we're also trying to look at the whole picture. Hard to differentiate between "visiting" vs. "living" in an area.Thanks again!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
We moved from NY to SC about 2.5 years ago and have enjoyed the experience, especially the increase quality of life. I went back to NYC 2 weeks ago and could not wait to return. I forgot that no one makes eye contact, very little real interaction between people and the traffic!

Anyway, I am not very familiar with Summerville so it would be difficult to compare. However, we have made many friends, most of whom are transplants from other states and crave similar lifestyles. After living here about 6-8 months my wife & I both found jobs that we enjoy, although will not make us rich. Networking is the key... through friends, schools, church etc.

Carolina Forest would be a good choice, I would also recommend Murrells Inlet/Pawleys Island, and parts of Socastee.

Good luck with your search.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 AM

37 posts, read 169,080 times
Myrtle Beach. Summerville is pretty & all but far away from so much. MB is a bit flashy. I agree with baylovers Murrels Inlet is beautiful. Pawley's island is nice. You could also try Georgetown. Plus Myrtle beach has better enterteinment and nightlife than theCharleston area. Beaches r bettur 2. Southern people get a bad rap but the hospitable caring & nice.And republican. Hope you make the right decision.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 AM

80 posts, read 322,628 times
Default Pawleys Island

If Myrtle Beach is the choice, I suggest looking at the south end, in the Murrells Inlet/Pawleys Island area. Fewer traffic issues, close to a great public beach on Pawleys, good services (shopping, restaurants, etc.). Don't know if private schools for the kids is an option, but Low Country Day School gets good reviews, and Waccamaw High School is okay. I have a vacation home in Pawleys Island so am familiar with the area and would be happy to answer any other questions.

Larry

Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgavrich View Post
If Myrtle Beach is the choice, I suggest looking at the south end, in the Murrells Inlet/Pawleys Island area. Fewer traffic issues, close to a great public beach on Pawleys, good services (shopping, restaurants, etc.). Don't know if private schools for the kids is an option, but Low Country Day School gets good reviews, and Waccamaw High School is okay. I have a vacation home in Pawleys Island so am familiar with the area and would be happy to answer any other questions.

Larry

Hi Larry ~ We have been looking into this area for some time and want to be sure we make an educated one. We live in an area that is pretty wooded and quiet with an excellent school system. We are on the edge of retiring so working for a Fortune 500 company is NOT on our list. We just want to live in a very nice, quiet, upscaled community since this is where we plan on living through til our golden years. School system is important since I think it also drives the community ~ good school system good neighborhood. I am an art lover and my husband is very happy fishing and loves being in the middle of wildlife. I'd love an insider's opinion. Many thanks!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
Hello JenetM. You're responding to a post that's over 4 years old. I'd try starting a new thread and go through previous threads and you'll get alot of info that way. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area