Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,348 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I are moving to the MB area in late November 2008. We are very excited. We will be renting first and looking to buy within 6 months to a year. My question, like everyone else's, is which district to look into. I have a 5th grader with learning disabilities and would like to hear from anyone who would know which districts have a good special ed dept. I also have a daughter who is in 9th grade and is so nervous about moving and being accepted (we're from Long Island). I would appreciate any and all comments, and if anyone know of any rentals, please pass them on. I will be visiting Columbus day weekend to secure a place to live.
Thanks,
Tracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:43 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
What other factors are you looking for besides schools? There are a great variety of neighborhoods along the Grand Strand.

We moved from Long Island (Long Beach) to Pawleys Island and have found many people from all over the east coast & midwest, including many NY'ers. When we moved here our kids were 7 & 13. The younger adjusted very well but the older one was resistant to the move & has been fairly stubborn ever since. It is a long story...

Anyway, Carolina Forest, Socastee, Murrells Inlet & Pawleys have many family oriented communities.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:39 PM

245 posts, read 761,510 times
I looked several places in Carolina Forest and then in St James school dist.We chose the St James area because it suited us more as this end of the county is more laid back like us.I researched both school districts from the view of someone who holds a teaching degree (but has no desire to teach) and both pleased me very much.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 13,087 times
Default Carolina Forest

I live in Carolina Forest and I can tell you that this is the place you want your kid. They have the most money for the schools and the best teachers. If you're looking for a place to rent/buy, just head down Carolina Forest Blvd where there are tons of sub-divisions with houses for both! Trust me I've been here for 4 years now and this is where you want to be. St. James is ok, but some of the places on the out-skirts are not friendly. It's hit or miss around there, but lots better places in Carolina Forest. Good luck!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 04:12 PM

543 posts, read 2,363,665 times
Forestbrook Elementary is a really good school.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:10 PM

245 posts, read 761,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwhitetv View Post
I live in Carolina Forest and I can tell you that this is the place you want your kid. They have the most money for the schools and the best teachers. If you're looking for a place to rent/buy, just head down Carolina Forest Blvd where there are tons of sub-divisions with houses for both! Trust me I've been here for 4 years now and this is where you want to be. St. James is ok, but some of the places on the out-skirts are not friendly. It's hit or miss around there, but lots better places in Carolina Forest. Good luck!!!
Really you just posted this...make up your mind
jjwhitetv

2 posts, read 155 times

Safe/Good Places to live in Jonesboro
I'm up for a job in Jonesboro and was wondering where some good, safe places were to live? Is Jonesboro the place to be, or live just outside the city a bit safer and neater. I'm coming from North Carolina and live in a nice sub-division with it's own pool for the houses & play area for the kids. Anything like that in or around? Need help please, thank you!!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 AM

4 posts, read 13,087 times
Default Excuse me...

Wow, sorry about that. Didn't know that would be such a gaff!!! My bad, I am in SOUTH CAROLINA, and yes Carolina Forest is a nice place to live. YES I DO NEED HELP SINCE I WILL BE MOVING TO ARKANSAS. Hopefully that makes everyone happy. Sorry for the typo, won't happen again!

Old 10-25-2008, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,027 times
Default Moving to MB

Hi Tracy,

My husband and I along with our daughter in 8th grade just moved here to MB from upstate NY. I found out that Forestbrook is rated up there for schools. There are many places to rent. You basically get to pick from whatever you want. It is cheaper right now, so if you lock into a lease you will not be paying the higher amount they charge during tourist season. We are doing the same thing as you are. We are renting for 6 months while looking for a home. There are lots and lots of homes for sale. The job market is horrible here. I have a bs in business and I have been here for 2 months and the interviews have been slow (even though I have applied for almost 30 jobs). The jobs take for ever to contact you for an interview and I am still waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully, you already have jobs lined up. The weather is nice here right now but it is very hot in the summer and you stay inside away from the sun. It is quite a tourist trap and the 1st few weeks its great but it wears on you. If you are into the bar scene, which i am not, you might be able to get into the social scene quick but it has been hard to meet families and friends besides that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyM View Post
Hi! My family and I are moving to the MB area in late November 2008. We are very excited. We will be renting first and looking to buy within 6 months to a year. My question, like everyone else's, is which district to look into. I have a 5th grader with learning disabilities and would like to hear from anyone who would know which districts have a good special ed dept. I also have a daughter who is in 9th grade and is so nervous about moving and being accepted (we're from Long Island). I would appreciate any and all comments, and if anyone know of any rentals, please pass them on. I will be visiting Columbus day weekend to secure a place to live.
Thanks,
Tracy

Old 11-07-2008, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,366 times
sorry, that was pawleys island. hit wrong key

Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 AM

21 posts, read 58,409 times
WIth housing values down in MB, you should'nt have any trouble finding a great place there for a steal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area