Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 11:26 PM

18 posts, read 66,641 times

Advertisements

Are there any hidden gems in the area? As fate would have it, we are in the area for a few weeks. We have already hit the beach and visited MBSP.

I grew up in Florida (seen lots of beach) and my better half spent his youth in Columbia and Charleston. We are limiting ourselves to traveling via scooter as it gets 100mpg verses our camper that gets 12mpg.

We are mostly interested in nature, history, free culture/museums, physical activities, and technology.

We are on a fixed budget and gravitate towards free activities.

We are not interested in shopping or theme parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 07:00 AM

91 posts, read 378,555 times
If you could get a campsite at Huntington Beach SP you would be in an area that has some interesting natural attractions. The park itself has freshwater and saltwater marshes, free guided tours, trails and an interesting beach that leads to the Inlet. The place is a gem for folks with your interests.
Across the road from it is Brookgreen Gardens which has plentiful natural as well as cultural and rich historical interest. It is a national landmark and should not be missed by anyone with your interests. It is vast. The admission is good for a full week, however it is $10.00 for seniors.
Dont know where in Surfside you are but these places should be less than 10 miles south on 17. Try to map a route that keeps you off 17, for your own safety.
Their is a small park and marsh walk in Garden City, don't know the exact location on the west shore of the marsh.
Murrells Inlet has an extensive Marshwalk. and should be within scooter range of Surfside.
There are other attractive natural beaches and inlets for intrepid walkers around Garden City, Murrells Inlet and Litchfield. These are best around low tide.
The Garden City and Surfside Piers can be interesting . Schools of stingrays, sharks and porpoises are not unusual, not to mention some "colorful looking" fishermen. Garden City is free.
Wish you well.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:16 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,516 times
Has anyone been to the zoo in Socastee?

My wife came across the website and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation.

Waccatee Zoological Farm - The 'Beast' Kept Secret In Myrtle Beach

Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Yes you should bike to Huntington Beach State Park..........
There you will find the Atalaya historic castle.........there are maps there showing what was in each room. A tale about the people who lived there.
The artists for the sculptures over at Brookgreen Gardens........
It is a wonder to explore, it doesn't cost.......and there is quite a bit to take in and behold.
There might be a small State Park fee to go inside the Park itself, but you can save by bringing a picnic lunch...........and after you can explore on the walkways over the Marsh..........We have done this a few times.

PS/ the Zoo just never looked like it was worth the trip to us. Kind of hidden, small and ........If I see the animals not well taken care of then.......I just get more upset then anything.

I must say if you like books and a great library to sit and relax in..........
The Socastee Library is wonderful. Every magazine there too!

For walking..........I'd go to Broadway at the Beach..........you don't have to shop........its just has nice surroundings......lake, ducks, fish, boardwalks......and also for that matter you can go to the new Market Common, there is a walking park there........or bikes ( reg. bikes) and a path around the lake. Free, friendly and interesting too.

PS the Art Museum is over by the Springmaid pier area in a cozy house..........very nice.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 PM

245 posts, read 761,642 times
Hudsons flea Market...I know you said no shopping but it is more than that and fun.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:27 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,337 times
Skip the Wacatee Zoo.. I get a little ill about the way the animals are kept.

Agreed about Hungtinton & definitely Brookgreen!

Might want to stop over at the Chapin Museum at the south end of Ocean Blvd, down near Springmaid beach... while I've never been there personally, I've heard it's pretty nice to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area