Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 04:18 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from CT and were looking at Coastal NC, I was also considering Coastal SC and was directed to look at Longs SC as an option. We would want to be no further than 30 minute drive to an ocean beach, is Longs SC within that drive to the coast ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 06:45 AM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
Depending on where in Longs, yes you can be at the beach in 30 minutes. However, that's on a good traffic day. If you're trying to get there on a Friday or Saturday afternoon, it's going to take a lot longer due to tourist traffic moving toward the beach/hotels.

Also, take a good look at crime statistics for the neighborhood you would consider. Most of Longs is fine, but there are some areas that are very dangerous.

When we moved here (also from CT), we considered NC as well but the taxes are so much lower in SC, we decided to move here instead. I also suggest that you consider renting for at least a year wherever you decide to move to make sure that you like the area that you've chosen. Yes, you have to move twice, but it's better than being unhappy and stuck or losing money to sell a house in an area that you might not like.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:01 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Depending on where in Longs, yes you can be at the beach in 30 minutes. However, that's on a good traffic day. If you're trying to get there on a Friday or Saturday afternoon, it's going to take a lot longer due to tourist traffic moving toward the beach/hotels.

Also, take a good look at crime statistics for the neighborhood you would consider. Most of Longs is fine, but there are some areas that are very dangerous.

When we moved here (also from CT), we considered NC as well but the taxes are so much lower in SC, we decided to move here instead. I also suggest that you consider renting for at least a year wherever you decide to move to make sure that you like the area that you've chosen. Yes, you have to move twice, but it's better than being unhappy and stuck or losing money to sell a house in an area that you might not like.
I agree. That is our plan, rent and explore.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:35 PM

33 posts, read 32,377 times
Yes! Longs is a big area (with regards to land size) within Horry County. The part of Longs I live in is called 57th Place. It is off of Highway 57 South (the primary entrance to the development is a road called Pickerel Blvd). To be honest, we are closer to the center of North Myrtle Beach than we are to the "center" of Longs. In fact, I can make it from my house to a beach parking lot within 10 minutes. Also, this part of Longs is very safe.

If you have school age children, I would recommend the side of Longs closer to the beach, as it is zoned for North Myrtle Beach schools. Once you crossover the Waccamaw River on your way inland, it becomes zoned for Loris schools, which have lower ratings.

The area of Longs that give it a bad rap is primarily centered around Freemont Road. Personally, I would avoid anything near that road, even some of the new DR Horton or Lennar subdivisions.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:32 AM

159 posts, read 187,990 times
Quote:

Not to but in, but what taxes are much lower in SC then NC? We are considering relocating from TN and we're looking at costal NC, but you got me wondering!! Lol! Thank you

Old 06-05-2023, 12:47 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
This article does a fairly good job comparing the two states. https://communityfinder.com/library/...south-carolina

However, the devil is in the details which the article vaguely refers to when it talks about deductions and >65 tax breaks, etc. SC has generous deductions for retirees over 65 which lower your tax bill. The only way to determine what advantages SC might have for you is to look at your personal sources of income and then query how SC taxes them and NC taxes them. Also, look at deductions that each state allows as well as consideration of the value of your home (more expensive homes enjoy a greater savings on taxes in SC simply based on their value). For some folks (depending on sources of income), NC might be better while for others, SC might be better. If you have an accountant, ask him/her to run the numbers for your income for both states based on 2022 income. A few hundred dollars cost to do this before you choose where to move might save you thousands in the long run.

The fact that we can deduct $10K right off the top of our income IN ADDITION TO the standard deduction AND a retirement deduction was one of the factors in our choosing SC. Our effective tax rate is only 1.2% rather than the 6.5% mentioned in the article.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:03 PM

159 posts, read 187,990 times
Quote:
This article does a fairly good job comparing the two states. https://communityfinder.com/library/...south-carolina

However, the devil is in the details which the article vaguely refers to when it talks about deductions and >65 tax breaks, etc. SC has generous deductions for retirees over 65 which lower your tax bill. The only way to determine what advantages SC might have for you is to look at your personal sources of income and then query how SC taxes them and NC taxes them. Also, look at deductions that each state allows as well as consideration of the value of your home (more expensive homes enjoy a greater savings on taxes in SC simply based on their value). For some folks (depending on sources of income), NC might be better while for others, SC might be better. If you have an accountant, ask him/her to run the numbers for your income for both states based on 2022 income. A few hundred dollars cost to do this before you choose where to move might save you thousands in the long run.

The fact that we can deduct $10K right off the top of our income IN ADDITION TO the standard deduction AND a retirement deduction was one of the factors in our choosing SC. Our effective tax rate is only 1.2% rather than the 6.5% mentioned in the article.
Thank you, I'll check it out.

Old 06-05-2023, 03:34 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,135 times
I would dare to say that a rental in Longs would be no comparison to owning in Longs, the areas would be night and day. Now to rent a beachfront or tourist area and figure things out is a different story.
It's funny the way folks (that are not from here) determine crime down here thru statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area