Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 11:08 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times

Advertisements

We are looking at NC near the SC border, also considering Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach and Little River. I've heard Myrtle Beach has a crime issue ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 08:08 AM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
Myrtle Beach crime statistics are skewed due to the large number of tourists who visit the city. The crimes per thousand residents is high because the crimes associated with the millions of tourists who visit each year are compared to the number of residents (they don't count the tourists). Tourists do stupid things that they would never do when they are home...go walking on the beach at 2am, go to the ATM with some stranger that that they just met in a bar, etc.

HOWEVER, that is not to say that MB does not have its share of crime. There are certain areas of MB that I would not go to during the night (and maybe not even during the day). But, overall, if you are not involved in the drug trade or gangs, you'll be as safe in MB as in most towns. The city of MB is relatively small, but there are many areas around MB that share the MB post office address but are outside the city limits (Carolina Forest, Socastee, Forestbrook, etc). These areas are very safe other than minor property crimes from time to time. So, when you are considering MB, the amount of crime you need to be concerned with depends on specifically WHERE in MB you are considering. As long as you avoid specific areas, it's pretty safe.

North MB and Little River are probably more like Carolina Forest, etc as far as crime. Little River can be a little dicey if you get too far out in the country near Longs and Loris which have enough crime to be concerned about. But even in those areas, it's primarily drug related.

When we moved to the area, we considered NC as well, but once we looked at the tax comparison between NC and SC the decision to move to SC was easy.

Old 03-01-2023, 04:38 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Myrtle Beach crime statistics are skewed due to the large number of tourists who visit the city. The crimes per thousand residents is high because the crimes associated with the millions of tourists who visit each year are compared to the number of residents (they don't count the tourists). Tourists do stupid things that they would never do when they are home...go walking on the beach at 2am, go to the ATM with some stranger that that they just met in a bar, etc.

HOWEVER, that is not to say that MB does not have its share of crime. There are certain areas of MB that I would not go to during the night (and maybe not even during the day). But, overall, if you are not involved in the drug trade or gangs, you'll be as safe in MB as in most towns. The city of MB is relatively small, but there are many areas around MB that share the MB post office address but are outside the city limits (Carolina Forest, Socastee, Forestbrook, etc). These areas are very safe other than minor property crimes from time to time. So, when you are considering MB, the amount of crime you need to be concerned with depends on specifically WHERE in MB you are considering. As long as you avoid specific areas, it's pretty safe.

North MB and Little River are probably more like Carolina Forest, etc as far as crime. Little River can be a little dicey if you get too far out in the country near Longs and Loris which have enough crime to be concerned about. But even in those areas, it's primarily drug related.

When we moved to the area, we considered NC as well, but once we looked at the tax comparison between NC and SC the decision to move to SC was easy.
Thanks. We have heard the taxes in SC are more favorable than NC.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,470 times
I was there recently and a lot of it is dangerous. Many people with bad tempers looking for fights or it takes nothing to set some of the people off. And this comes from someone who is a little crazy and has a short fuse themselves. MB is bad. The Northside may be a little better but it's a traffic written mess filled with east coasters and just bad drivers of all types. No not trolling either.

Old 04-07-2023, 08:50 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
Woah that sucks! What beach towns in SC have low crime and friendly mellow people?

Old 04-08-2023, 04:36 AM

455 posts, read 669,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Woah that sucks! What beach towns in SC have low crime and friendly mellow people?
Not that an incident like this is usual, but Isle of Palms SC, which is 3 miles from me, just had a shooting on the beach injuring at least 6 people. They called it Senior Skip Day and brought in 100’s of people to the beach.
Honestly the days of finding low crime and mellow people seem to be fading.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:36 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
Even more of a concern are hurricanes and best bets to avoid them.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:06 AM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
Best bet to avoid a hurricane is to not live near any coast...LOL.

But, if one lives near the coast, the best bet is to take an inland vacation when a hurricane is predicted for the area.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:38 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnneJustice View Post
I was there recently and a lot of it is dangerous. Many people with bad tempers looking for fights or it takes nothing to set some of the people off. And this comes from someone who is a little crazy and has a short fuse themselves. MB is bad. The Northside may be a little better but it's a traffic written mess filled with east coasters and just bad drivers of all types. No not trolling either.
It's a shame to hear that, as I used to visit MB on a regular basis, for a 20 year period, between 1980 and 2001. A friend of mine used to own a condo unit there, and it was a reasonable cost rental for us. He eventually sold the unit, as things changed for him, and keeping it was no longer practical. By that time, I was getting a little tired of the 14 hour drive (each way), so we stopped making the trip, but I still have a lot of pleasant memories of the time spent there.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:52 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
I just stumbled on this article, while browsing Yahoo news. After reading it, ESPECIALLY the reader's comments that followed, I'm both shocked, as well as disappointed.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrF...SGT4jh4JRS194-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area