Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 06:11 AM

15 posts, read 17,692 times

Advertisements

Hey guys-I plan on moving this fall and was trying to decide between myrtle beach, Tampa and Orlando. I know the housing market is a mess right now but MB/SC seems to be a nice alternative to the higher prices of Fl.
Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 01:13 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
When you visited these cities, what were your likes and dislikes about each of them?

Old 05-02-2022, 06:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybyrd View Post
Hey guys-I plan on moving this fall and was trying to decide between myrtle beach, Tampa and Orlando. I know the housing market is a mess right now but MB/SC seems to be a nice alternative to the higher prices of Fl.
Totally different areas. Need to know what you are looking for and what you can afford any kids so school being important, jobs if you need workd, etc.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:26 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybyrd View Post
Myrtle Beach, you'll save a lot of money.

Old 05-17-2022, 12:18 PM

16 posts, read 36,139 times
I was looking at Both cities also. Tampa has been so expensive its just about out of reach. MB is getting that way. Its crazy how high the prices got over the past 2 yrs. The schools in both states are the big thing with me being I have a gifted middle school child and can't afford an expensive private school

Old 05-17-2022, 06:29 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
We had decided on SC as our retirement location. We purchased a new construction townhouse in Murrells Inlet and were happy until the first winter (this was 2009/2010). It gets cold in SC! We were not expecting that. We drove down to SW Florida and purchased a condo in North Naples.

I love both locations. Murrells Inlet is mellow and homey. Naples is more upscale with more to do (and always warm enough for the beach or pool). I could live full time at either location.

Last edited by tmozer; 05-17-2022 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-20-2022, 09:40 AM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
We had decided on SC as our retirement location. We purchased a new construction townhouse in Murrells Inlet and were happy until the first winter (this was 2009/2010). It gets cold in SC! We were not expecting that. We drove down to SW Florida and purchased a condo in North Naples.

I love both locations. Murrells Inlet is mellow and homey. Naples is more upscale with more to do (and always warm enough for the beach or pool). I could live full time at either location.
I've got some questions about Murrells Inlet and Surfside Beach - I'll DM you.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:27 AM

My partner and I are considering a move out of AZ within the next year. We both work remotely and considered either Nashville or the South Carolina coast (I love the beach).

What is Murrells Inlet like? I've heard many people retire there, but we are still young-ish mentally and physically - I'm early 50s and partner is 44. I considered something close to Myrtle Beach, but wanted to not be in the thick of tourists, yet close enough for restaurants, stores, healthcare, etc.

Is the Murrells Inlet area all situated in a flood zone?

We're not afraid of colder weather in the winter since it can get chilly here in the desert during the winter too. I think the beaches in Surfside/Murrells Inlet/Pawley's Island look pretty nice. I've got three dogs and already checked to see if dogs were allowed on the beaches - it appears most require only morning or even timeframes seasonally, but Pawley's looked like it was more pet-friendly. I also have not yet looked into North Myrtle Beach area.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:32 AM

8 posts, read 8,623 times
The Inlet is just that, an inlet area, no beach per se. You have to go south to pawleys or north to garden city for beach access. Myrtle beach / Horry County is the fastest growing area in the US. Been here a year and quickly noted the building practices in wetland areas is something else. There's FEMA resources as well as Google earth to help identify flooding concerns. On Google earth, the closer you are to the Waccamaw River or ICW predicates flooding concerns. The whole area is called the Low Country for a reason. Sometimes you can just use your eyes, eg one neighborhood behind us in surfside, some houses sit four feet higher than others around retention ponds/lakes.

Most of the new building in murrells is encroaching flood areas. That said there are some really nice existing neighborhoods. We chose surfside for easier beach access and quick access to restaurants and stores....can take the golf cart to lowes and Walmart, and the electric bikes to the beach. Lot cheaper to live here than the northeast, only thing more expensive is car insurance, lots of distracted and aggressive driving through red lights. Many transplant folks so being non local really isn't an issue.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfactor View Post
The Inlet is just that, an inlet area, no beach per se. You have to go south to pawleys or north to garden city for beach access. Myrtle beach / Horry County is the fastest growing area in the US. Been here a year and quickly noted the building practices in wetland areas is something else. There's FEMA resources as well as Google earth to help identify flooding concerns. On Google earth, the closer you are to the Waccamaw River or ICW predicates flooding concerns. The whole area is called the Low Country for a reason. Sometimes you can just use your eyes, eg one neighborhood behind us in surfside, some houses sit four feet higher than others around retention ponds/lakes.

Most of the new building in murrells is encroaching flood areas. That said there are some really nice existing neighborhoods. We chose surfside for easier beach access and quick access to restaurants and stores....can take the golf cart to lowes and Walmart, and the electric bikes to the beach. Lot cheaper to live here than the northeast, only thing more expensive is car insurance, lots of distracted and aggressive driving through red lights. Many transplant folks so being non local really isn't an issue.
Awesome, thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area