Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 6,641 times

Advertisements

Hello, looking for some guidance on a golf community for a senior couple.

Here is the basic criteria:

Easy access to golf.
Near water is obviously awesome but not a must.
Budget approx $250K to $300K.
3bd/2bth is great but 2bd/2bth would work also.
Seasonal rental allowed to help offset the carrying cost.

I am working with a realtor and plan to visit to look at some places. He suggested a community called Bearfoot and we are looking forward to the visit.

My question to the forum are these.

1) Based on my criteria, are there other places you can suggest?
2) We are not limited to the Myrtle Beach SC area. We are open to snowbird destinations in other states (doesn't have to be near water), if you are familiar.
3) How much is a typical green fee? Is it better to get a membership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 01:54 PM

790 posts, read 1,622,555 times
Barefoot is a good place to start but the caution I have for any place that you are going to buy and then rent our seasonally is that, when you are staying at your place yourself, you'll be dealing with people who are on vacation in the units around you and it could be noisy. We have a friend who had a condo at Barefoot that they lived in full time but ended up selling it because of the noisy and inconsiderate tourists especially during the summer.

As far as other options, there are condos and some townhomes near the Arrowhead golf course on the south end that are nice. They are not a "golf community" but some back up directly to the golf course. At your price range, you could also probably find a home in Arrowhead but there are restrictions on renting houses out....must be for at least 6 months at a time. River Oaks golf course has condos, Myrtlewood Golf has condos, Blackmoor golf has condos near the course, Legends has condos, The International Club has condos and there are a variety of others that would fit your criteria. It depends on what part of the Grand Strand you want to live in.

As far as greens fees, they vary from $30 and up depending on whether you establish residency in Horry County or not (doesn't sound like you would since you're wanting to rent your place out). Unless you play a LOT of golf, memberships don't usually pay off unless it's one like we had a The Witch....$65/year and we could play anytime after 12 for $25. However, the Witch just closed and (alas) our membership ended.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 6,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Barefoot is a good place to start but the caution I have for any place that you are going to buy and then rent our seasonally is that, when you are staying at your place yourself, you'll be dealing with people who are on vacation in the units around you and it could be noisy. We have a friend who had a condo at Barefoot that they lived in full time but ended up selling it because of the noisy and inconsiderate tourists especially during the summer.

As far as other options, there are condos and some townhomes near the Arrowhead golf course on the south end that are nice. They are not a "golf community" but some back up directly to the golf course. At your price range, you could also probably find a home in Arrowhead but there are restrictions on renting houses out....must be for at least 6 months at a time. River Oaks golf course has condos, Myrtlewood Golf has condos, Blackmoor golf has condos near the course, Legends has condos, The International Club has condos and there are a variety of others that would fit your criteria. It depends on what part of the Grand Strand you want to live in.

As far as greens fees, they vary from $30 and up depending on whether you establish residency in Horry County or not (doesn't sound like you would since you're wanting to rent your place out). Unless you play a LOT of golf, memberships don't usually pay off unless it's one like we had a The Witch....$65/year and we could play anytime after 12 for $25. However, the Witch just closed and (alas) our membership ended.
Thank you. I am actually visiting next week to look at some places. I think for what I am looking for, which is seasonal use... something like 3 months during the winter and a week or 2 over the summer, I would have to accept the risk of having occasional rowdy neighbors for the benefit of being able to also rent out my unit.

I will ask my realtor about some of the other places you mentioned.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:07 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,421,873 times
Look at Brunswick Plantation just across the border in NC.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:56 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
I'll second Barefoot.

I was the Director of Marketing there for years and the condos are a good value and hold their value well.

Anywhere you buy that doesn't have HOA restrictions will have seasonal rentals. I lived in my family's Garden City Beach house and every single house around me was a weekly rental. You just get used to it.

Old 01-18-2022, 04:32 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,909 times
True Blue at Pawleys Island.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:08 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
Not ALL Barefoot communities have "rentals"...some are OWNER only....actually MOST of them are owner only! 4 golf courses at your fingertips there....It's really a lovely place.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:47 PM

107 posts, read 113,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
True Blue at Pawleys Island.

I'll second this! My girlfriend lived there (rented) for a couple years. Nice and quiet year round, close to Litchfield Beach/state parks, plus ponds on the green (and some gators, so be careful with animals/kids. They didnt bother anybody but they were around!

Neighbors are friendly and keep to themselves, and there are several large pools to swim in! Also there's a school bus stop on the property.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:09 PM

7 posts, read 6,575 times
Hi I am not sure I would lock myself into a community with a golf course. Several of that type of community have gone by the wayside as the course has closed and homes/condos were built on the course. There are still plenty of golf courses in the Myrtle Beach area and even more new and older communities that offer great housing - and allow rentals. I would visit the area and spend some time looking at various communities. If you are insistent on a golf community, Tidewater Plantation in North Myrtle Beach is another option. In NC just over the border there is Crow Creek, Sea Trail Golf Resort, Brunswick Plantation, Meadowlands Golf Club to name a few. SC is a less expensive state to live in than NC. Good luck!! [URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/reputation.php?p=62764513"]https://pics3.city-data.com/images/ratepost.png[/URL]
[URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=62764513"]https://pics3.city-data.com/forum/im...ttons/edit.gif[/URL] [URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=62764513"]https://pics3.city-data.com/forum/im...tons/quote.gif[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area