Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2021, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,029 times

Advertisements

If you have lived in the central Florida area and moved to Myrtle Beach can you please post your experiences, both good and bad.

We are thinking of moving from the Orlando area to MB and want to get locals opinions if you would share.

Some questions if it is ok are:
Things to do as a local.
Neighborhoods that have a homey feel.
Which area of MB is best to start looking for a visit in the near future.

We are a retired couple in our late 50's so jobs are not an issue.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 02:40 PM

790 posts, read 1,624,636 times
Well, we didn't move from central FL so I can't give you a comparison but since no one else has provided feedback, I'll take a stab. We do have a nephew who lives in the New Smerna area so we're familiar with that part of FL having visited with him.

MB is a tourist area so much of the "big" stuff to do is directed at tourists. As far as other things to do, it depends on what you're looking for. We enjoy spending time at a local vineyard which has Saturday live band concerts. We also enjoy Brookgreen Gardens, relaxing at the beach, going to local fairs/craft shows/street fairs, picking strawberries in the spring, blueberries in the summer. There's a wonderful amateur theater in Conway. There are several venues that offer indoor concerts. We have friends that enjoy fishing (river, ocean pier and deep sea). There are lots of golf courses. There are multiple car shows throughout the year, Carolina Country Music Fest. What type pf activities are you interested in?

Homey feel neighborhoods...that's a tough one. Most of the newer neighborhoods have a more sterile feel because the developers clear cut the development before they start building. So, there are no trees other than whatever they plant when they build the houses. I guess my advice would be to look for older developments which have mature vegetation. The downside of that is that you will be looking at 20 year old houses which probably need some upgrading. We live on the south end so the neighborhoods that we're familiar with that are "homey" are limited to the area where we live. A few that come to mind are Arrowhead (near the golf course), Prestwick, The Lakes (the old part...not the new part), Blackmoor, Indigo Creek, Prince Creek, and Wachesaw. This list encompasses a variety of prices since I don't know your budget.

Which area of MB is best to start looking on a future visit..........well, we're partial to the south end. When we were planning our move 12 years ago, we looked all the way from the North Carolina line down to Murrells Inlet. While the north side of the grand stand has it's advantages (less crowded for now) the activities we wanted to do were located more on the south end so that's where we ended up. But it really depends on what you're looking for as far as life style. If I were the stay-at-home type who just wanted to hang out on my back porch and enjoy life, I might consider the north end. But, we like to keep busy and the south end IMHO provides more opportunities (not that you couldn't just hang out on your porch on the south end as well). Summers are probably a little more hectic with tourists on the south end but you just find the back roads that will let you avoid them....LOL. If you're looking for a more rural area, Conway is a nice town but a little far from the beach (if the beach is important to you).

PM me and I can provide you with the name of a good realtor who can help you explore the area when you decide to visit.

I'll close with the advice I give anyone moving here...rent for at least a year in the area that you think you want to move to. That way, you can find out if you really like the area or whether you find another area more appealing. We rented for the first year and are happy we did. After experiencing the summer crowds, we ended up in a different neighborhood than we thought we wanted to be because our first choice neighborhood was just too close to the "action" during the summer.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,126,785 times
I'm from MB and now live in FLL so I'll give it a go.

Great MB neighborhoods are Myrtle Heights, Pine Lakes, Dunes Club. Old South Carolina families. Also, anywhere in the 70s blocks east or west of 17 business.

Outside Myrtle Beach proper, Surfside, Garden City, or Pawleys Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area