Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM

13 posts, read 38,595 times

Advertisements

myrlte beach is overrated, there is not as much to do here as you think. I usually go to broadway, the new mall, and the bouelvard once a week. You can only do that so many times. The market commons is really nice though. I dont plan to go to the Hard Rock Park there is not enough there to make it worthwile for spending 54 bucks plus ten dollars for parking. The park is just another tourist trap in my opinion. I had more fun visiting this place then actually living here. The ocean is warm only like 3 months of the year. When the ocean gets that warm the beaches are usually too crowed to really enjoy. I have a surfboard so I have to usually go surfing down at Hungtinton Beach state Park. They keep building new development around myrlte beach but there are no new roads being planned to alleviate the congestion problems. I might just run for mayor of Myrtle Beach when i'm done with my bachelor's degree. I would fire everyone on the city coucil and find people who are less interested in making a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,583,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie45 View Post
myrlte beach is overrated, there is not as much to do here as you think. I usually go to broadway, the new mall, and the bouelvard once a week. You can only do that so many times. The market commons is really nice though. I dont plan to go to the Hard Rock Park there is not enough there to make it worthwile for spending 54 bucks plus ten dollars for parking. The park is just another tourist trap in my opinion. I had more fun visiting this place then actually living here. The ocean is warm only like 3 months of the year. When the ocean gets that warm the beaches are usually too crowed to really enjoy. I have a surfboard so I have to usually go surfing down at Hungtinton Beach state Park. They keep building new development around myrlte beach but there are no new roads being planned to alleviate the congestion problems. I might just run for mayor of Myrtle Beach when i'm done with my bachelor's degree. I would fire everyone on the city coucil and find people who are less interested in making a profit.
Why would you expect there to be a lot to do in a town the size of Myrtle Beach other than the tourist-related stuff?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,879,887 times
Quote:
The ocean is warm only like 3 months of the year.
We've had people swimming since April and most people use the water until October. You must be from Florida or the Carribean, because if you were from up north you wouldn't be saying that!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 AM

194 posts, read 749,257 times
Interesting concept for the 'Mayor' to fire 'City Council' as that power does not exist...
It is also interesting that there is 'nothing to do' in Myrtle Beach as that complaint is often found in small towns. Outside of the tourist draws there is always something to do in Myrtle Beach and small towns once you find what it is that draws your interest. You might like to start attending City Council meetings as it will be helpful when you run for Mayor;-)
Many local surfers use a wetsuit when the water is cooler so they can extend their time in the water. Also the Surfrider Foundation Grand Strand Chapter might need some volunteers, or you could search out other groups that are of interest to you.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:03 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,639 times
I'm just wondering what is it that you are looking to do that is not available. We live here also and I don't look for something to do everyday, didn't do that in NJ.

My son has been swimming since April and will go in the water until Oct. in the pool and the ocean.

I think there are many things to do, but I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:26 AM

221 posts, read 1,033,559 times
I can agree with the sentiment that Myrtle Beach is over-rated in that its over crowded and may not be deserving of all of the hype that it gets.

I went to Myrtle Beach as a child and had great experiences there, so I think I had expectations based on that. The last few times I've been as an adult I didn't really care for all the people and the touristy stuff. I enjoyed going to one of the baseball games, and going to Broadway at the beach is fun a time or two, but I can see how that gets old after a while.

I don't have any ambitions to run for office and try to change Myrtle Beach. I just choose to go to other places that are less crowded, like Pawley's Island or Folley Beach.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:09 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,879,887 times
If you're looking for the surfer's life those are good places to go.
Surf The Earth Home Page

I've never been but heard Carolina Beach & Wrightsville Beach are decent spots, too.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,685,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
We've had people swimming since April and most people use the water until October. You must be from Florida or the Carribean, because if you were from up north you wouldn't be saying that!
I actually went in the water the end of March, and so did a few others......
LOL........cold, but the NJ ocean is always cold, I'm use to that.
And yes.........they are in the ocean until October, how wonderful

Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 AM

84 posts, read 301,009 times
The term "tacky town" has been attached to MB for many years.

Went there once with the wife and that was enough. Hilton Head is a far better choice for quality of life, broiled instead of fried foods and real customer service.

I would, let me repeat that, I would never ever visit MB during spring break of summer months.

Oh wait............isn't this bike week in MB?? I'll be right down!!! It is still tacky, though IMHO.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:32 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,685,933 times
I think many on here don't golf........for it is a golfers heaven.
One hundred golf courses to choose from.
It is a great place for someone retired, with the low taxes and so much to do.
Many of the communities are golf communities. They have clubhouses for good times, indoor and outdoor pools, great rates for the homeowners for a day of golf.
I don't like the tourist things either, but.......that is the way it is in many beach towns.
I think however, the Myrtle Beach has about the same amount of things to do as other towns elsewhere.
Whats great is there is lots to do in the winter months outdoors, that is a great asset.
Love walking outdoors during those months with just a sweater on........wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area