Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2020, 12:45 PM

6 posts, read 9,120 times

Advertisements

hi! im a 20 year old woman looking to move to a coastal city in a couple months. people are telling me to consider myrtle beach, but i know nothing ab MB. so i figured i'd ask a few questions!!!!

- how is the job market (specifically real estate) in MB?
- how has covid impacted life in MB?
- is crime rate high / if so, how do you go about it?
- is it a good community for young professionals or are there a lot of retirees?
- what part time job do you suggest in MB?

thank you! i appreciate any and all advice (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 06:51 AM

790 posts, read 1,624,397 times
It's difficult to provide advice on whether to move to MB based on general questions/answers. However, here's my perspective to each of your questions:

I assume your first question relates to what the job market is like for real estate agents. The real estate market is hot in MB at this time (although keep in mind winter is coming). Houses are being built everywhere and there is a shortage of existing homes in certain price ranges. So, a good real estate agent should be able to do well.

Covid's impact on MB has been pretty significant on the job market as the primary driver of the economy is the service industry/tourism. Things have opened up and I see more help wanted signs, but the tourist season has ended so moving here in the next couple of months will be dead in the middle of the winter slow time so the job market in tourism will be slow. Covid will probably get worse in the winter but that remains to be seen. I doubt that there would be a wide-spread shut down.

There are certain parts of the city of MB which you would definitely want to stay away from. The same is true for parts of the county. I would find a good agent to help you avoid those areas and/or use the crime maps online to avoid those areas.

Two of my kids (20's/30's) lived with us temporarily and found the area lacking for what they were looking for. There are young professionals but you have to look for the groups and it will be more of a challenge than a larger city. Most restaurants/public activities have a lot more gray hair than not.

Part time employment...look on LinkedIn, Career Builder etc to see what types of jobs are out there. You'll probably find mostly tourism/service jobs. There is also a pretty good sized call center which might work if that's something one would be qualified for.

Final advice----do not move here without a job especially in the winter months. Summer is different...you can probably find something easily at least temporarily but winter is a whole different animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area