Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,638 times

Advertisements

A real estate person recently told me that the schools in the North Myrtle Beach area are far better than most of SC schools, in fact are on par with NY/Nj schools. Any comments? My husband and I are contemplating a move south from Long Island. We have 3 small boys that have been troubled with asthma issues and illnesses through the long winters. Humidity does not seem to be of issue. We also recognize the difference in what you get for your money in housing. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,885,758 times
I think the schools along the Grand Strand have been rated fairly well. I know the overall school system in SC gets a bad rap but our daughter is ahead of her old classmates on LI so far.

There was an article in today's paper about the HS's and how they have increase their scores on the AP testing.

MyrtleBeachOnline.com | 04/30/2008 | Numbers up for Strand's students on AP exams (broken link)

Old 05-01-2008, 05:08 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,883,351 times
I live in Carolina Forest and moved from NJ.

The schools are different, in NJ the day was diverse with music, art twice a week, with Spanish, gym and computers.

My son was in lst. grade when we moved and he was very far behind in reading, we had him tutored over the summer to get his caught up. They spend alot of time on reading and writing. The schools here also use Everyday Math which he didn't use.

I will say I miss the school in NJ very much, the school is good here but I think they put alot of pressure on the younger kids.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:58 AM

221 posts, read 1,034,388 times
If you want to compare schools inside of SC check out the school report cards:

School Report Cards - South Carolina Department of Education (http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/ - broken link)

You can easily compare schools in Myrtle Beach to North Myrtle, to any other school in the state. Because the metrics that are used for this report card system aren't consistent state to state, this isn't the best way to compare NY to SC, but it will let you see how the schools stack up from one place to another in SC.

I've always heard that SC, Greenville in particular, is bad for allergies. I found this 2008 ranking of the worst places to live from the AAFA (Asthma and Allergies Foundation of America)
http://aafa.org/pdfs/FINAL%20public%...%20Spr2008.pdf

Greenville ranks 17th, Augusta, GA is 4th, Greensboro, NC is 2nd. I think this region in general shares similar pollen levels and weather. Part of their overall ranking includes numbers of patients and board certified Allergists, so thats probably why you don't see other cities on the list.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:30 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,885,758 times
Quote:
in NJ the day was diverse with music, art twice a week, with Spanish, gym and computers.
I have found that each school, even with the same district, can be quite different. The above statement describes my third graders curriculum at Waccamaw Elementary School. I guess it pays to do your homework, no pun intended.

I have also read that the Carolina Forest schools are very good as well. And our local HS, Waccamaw HS in Pawleys Island, earned the Palmetto Finest award for the best in the state... there are good schools around, you just have to check.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:00 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,883,351 times
I never said the school in Carolina Forest wasn't good, it is just different compared to NJ. That is why we chose the Carolina Forest area, because of the school.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:37 PM

29 posts, read 108,092 times
My friend drives a school bus in NMB and I always hear about the behavior problems. Remember your children will be riding and mingling with them.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,638 times
Default mingling with other kids

What do you mean by the kind of kids? Are children known to be a rough crowd in NMB? I appreciate any information as it is difficult to contemplate such a big move from NY. Thank you.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:05 PM

29 posts, read 108,092 times
My friend has been driving a school bus in Westchester County NY for 35 years and 3 yrs in NMB. She wrote up more misconduct reports in her first year at NMB than all her years in NY!! Little kids fighting on the bus, I mean to the point of drawing blood. She now has a monitor on. Maybe because the locals there are poor and have 2-3 jobs and nobody raises their kids. Kids get upset if the bus gets to the school late because they will miss their free breakfast. They even have some kind of program in the summertime so the children would have access to nutrition. I'm willing to bet the parents have money for smokes and beer.............I will be building in NMB (Tidewater) have no school age children, and wouldn't want my future grand children attending school there! But do your own research. Go to these schools at dismissal time and look for yourself. I drive a school bus in NY and would NOT even consider working there. Good thing my friend is retired and is doing this to keep busy.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 10,521 times
Default You're a jerk Gladys99!

Why would you belittle children like that? Assuming you're an adult, I am appalled that you have no more compasion for these babies than that. Yes...there is poverty in SC, but I recently accepted a position teaching Chemistry at a small, rural school in WNY, and, believe me, there's plenty of poverty here as well. I can not understand how someone so uncaring could hold a job working with children all day. Furthermore, I'm sure your bus driving career made your children among the richest in the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area