Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 02:46 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,425,609 times

Advertisements

Coming down with 6 from PA and 2 from Florida for a week of golf. Staying ocean front in NMB. Six rounds of golf breakfast and dinner out every night. We have been doing this trip for 20 years but I am thinking of passing this year because of Covid. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 06:42 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,833,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
...I am thinking of passing this year because of Covid. Thoughts?
I understand why you're asking, but it's the same question most locals ask ourselves every day. If you read the papers or watch the news, it's not hard to get a handle on what shape we are currently in down here regarding covid - basically, out of control. We have a guvnah who refuses to make a decision about anyway, "feeling sure that people will do the right thing." For many people, that's being interpreted to do whatever the hail they want to do.

There is currently a mask mandate in place for indoor businesses and outdoor areas where social distancing cannot be practiced. The last part has been completely ignored. There is no enforcement. Once again, people are "expected to do the right thing."
https://wpde.com/news/local/crowds-c...each-bike-week

Bottom line, nobody can predict where we will be at the end of September. Some think the situation will be better. Some think it will be worse if schools resume at all in classroom settings. Generally, golf trips involve bars. Our bars have been ideal petri dishes for breeding and spreading covid. Currently, they cannot sell alcohol after 11pm. In some bars, sales increase significantly at 10:55, so that folks have plenty to drink in front of them for the next hour or so.

Nobody can decide your risk level for you. Also, some states currently have a 14-day quarantining period for residents returning from SC. We have good friends who canceled their trip because his company was going to require him to quarantine using personal time. Once again, who knows where that will stand in 2 months. We have not been inside a restaurant since early March, except to pick up take-out at the front door. We decided to visit our favorite outdoor bar one evening. We got within several yards of it, realized the situation and turned around and went home. We miss that bar dearly, but it just ain't worth it to us. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:49 AM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
Coming down with 6 from PA and 2 from Florida for a week of golf. Staying ocean front in NMB. Six rounds of golf breakfast and dinner out every night. We have been doing this trip for 20 years but I am thinking of passing this year because of Covid. Thoughts?
There are golf restrictions and they are pretty well enforced. You probably want to call the courses you want to play to see how they are operating. I know that only 2 players are allowed to a cart, no hanging out at the 19th hole and practice facilities have a limited number of players allowed.

Here's the website with more info:
https://carolinas.pga.com/covid-19/

Old 07-24-2020, 02:00 PM

790 posts, read 1,624,636 times
As others have indicated, it's hard to tell where we'll be by September. Our experience is that if one uses a little common sense, you can go about doing what you mostly want and still feel safe. I've played golf all spring until it got too hot and the courses have implemented rules minimizing the number of touches one has to make unnecessarily (foam in the cup to make pulling your ball out easier, disinfecting carts, no eating/drinking in the clubhouse, one person per cart, etc). I've felt comfortable with the experience. We've been to dinner several times since the restaurants were opened to in-door dining. We opt for outside when we can but have also been seated inside and table spacing is good, all the servers are masked up, guests must mask up to walk to/from the table, etc. Again, we felt comfortable with the dining experience. I've made dozens of trips to Lowes/Home Depot and am able to keep my distance most of the time...and when not, unless someone coughs/sneezes or is talking loudly when I walk by them, I feel I'm pretty safe. Plus, now masks are required by the local governments and stores.

One place I definitely would not be going is to a bar...even if they have protocols in place, once people start drinking, they tend to forget all the safety measures. I feel pretty strongly that bars and private parties and the spread after the party are driving much of what we are seeing.

As I indicated, if one uses a little common sense and is observant to keep physical distance and avoid crowded places, I feel it's pretty safe. But, ever person has to decide for themselves if they are comfortable or not with the state of things at any given place or time.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:23 PM

The real estate who arranges the golf and accommodations is saying NMB has no new positive cases. “Come on down”.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:13 PM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
The real estate who arranges the golf and accommodations is saying NMB has no new positive cases. “Come on down”.
Horry County reported 34 new cases today. NMB is within Horry County.
The state does not give a breakdown on new cases per zip code so I'd be curious for where that RE Agent is getting their data.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2020/08/18/...itional-cases/

Zip code 29582 (NMB) has a total of 462 cases as of yesterday.
https://scdhec.gov/infectious-diseas...-code-covid-19

Old 08-20-2020, 02:43 PM

8,784 posts, read 5,080,500 times
Quote:
Right . Real estate agent, who makes their money, booking accommodations.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:29 AM

Update

Trip has been canceled as one by one participants began pulling the plug. One COVID denier was ready to go but the rest walked from the idea. The late decision makers were pressured by their kids that this was a bad decision. Hopefully next years trip will make up for skipping a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area