Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 02:02 PM

22 posts, read 21,880 times

Advertisements

Hi I’m looking to relocate from the north east. I want to raise my kids with good southern manners. Here most kids are rude to adults and don’t really care. It’s extremely fast paced and people are aggressive and rude. I was brought up in Arkansas where my husband will not move and it was amazing. I’m looking for that friendly sweet atmosphere again. Additionally I need good schools that have special ed accommodations and fair housing prices for cost of living. For example here making over $200,000 we have a small 4 bedroom 1.5 bath house with high taxes and a crazy mortgage. It’s just insane. So we want more for our money and to be able to live more comfortably not have all our paychecks go to bills. Can you let me know if that is realistic in this area? Also are there seasons? Or is it just hot all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 03:24 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,219,041 times
Look at Greenville rather than the coast, for all the above reasons you stated.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,837,741 times
Did you ever watch the Andy Griffith Show on TV? Just keep in mind Mayberry was a fictional town. Over the past 10-20 years, the character of all of coastal SC, along with most larger cities, has been significantly and irreversibly changed, primarily as the result of influx from the NE. That's not a slam, just a simple fact. These areas may still look Southern, but looks are deceiving. The style of living you are imagining can still be found in some smaller towns, Greenwood, Newberry and Spartanburg are a few that come to mind. Folks in small-town SC, just like small-town Arkansas often tend to be cliquish and suspicious of outsiders. It can take awhile, sometimes a long while, to fit in and feel like home. If you'll search these forums for comments on special ed, it's not hard to find people who have moved here from the NE, only to find services are not up to their expectations. And yes, our taxes are lower, but gov't services will also be less. It's a trade-off. I don't mean to discourage you, just don't set your expectations too high. South Carolina may be almost heaven, but it ain't the answer to everybody's dreams. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:48 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,018,202 times
There are seasons in SC...no worries! Winter is generally NOT as long as in other place north, and only once in a while will you have snow....but even 1 inch will shut EVERYTHING down...they have NO equipment for snow removal!

As far as "southern manners"....it's more of a culture thing....and it's up to parents to teach those manners!

Old 07-12-2020, 05:01 AM

482 posts, read 422,064 times
OP, you've posted this on multiple forums. You need to do more research on your own instead of relying on others. Plus multiple posts on multiple forums is bad netiquette and shows you may not be serious about your queries.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:35 AM

82 posts, read 73,587 times
I recommend looking at states in the Midwest. I think you will find more of what you’re looking for there over the south east.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,705,324 times
Are you planning find work here? Jobs here pay no where near what they pay in the Northeast.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:18 AM

734 posts, read 923,300 times
Walmart just announced that they are building a distribution center in Dorchester County just outside of Charleston SC.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:18 PM

99 posts, read 141,906 times
The majority of people living in myrtle beach are transplants, so you won't find much original southern culture, you would have to move way inland for that. The majority of my neighbors are from PA and NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area