Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 07:55 AM

935 posts, read 1,652,454 times

Advertisements

Just got back from the strand, up to farthest point public in the state, Sat to Sat, and the whole place was like a ghost town, as far as visitors goes. Our complex consists of 2 bldgs with 15 units each and until Thurs or Fri, we were the only occupants and then it was a single couple (owners not rentals). Many similar sized and the big 'towers' around here and all were empty or 80% empty. Now, I can't say they were 100% empty with nobody around but I have never seen it like this. Very few walking the beach, sitting on the beach, pier fishing, golf courses, shops, etc. I know the local spots and they were getting along with the retired at the beach community, what is considered 'locals' I guess for breakfasts and dinners. But actually, if one ventures to the Walmart, only then will the proper definition of 'locals' be present.

Anyway, I've been coming to the beach for my whole life, and spring and fall since I have 'matured' some, and have never seen it like this. We quit coming in the summer months, just too many crazies in this world and can't stay out in the sun all day anymore.

Then when leaving, we met with a car show on MainSt in OD and it was gonna be a BIG day there I guess. They was shore nuff some beautiful iron parked and music going, I s'pose the crowds were yet to arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 AM

43,259 posts, read 18,396,803 times
I find it nice having the place to yourself for the winter months.

I moved from a college town in Texas and that place became a ghost town in the summer.

I guess if you are a social animal craving lots of people all the time then maybe further south where it stays warmer for most of the year might be more appealing.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:17 AM

935 posts, read 1,652,454 times
I wasnt really referring to personal preferences or such, just a more economic standpoint I guess. Not as many hotel motel types up that way, more weekly rentals from owner types. Myrtle may have been completely different (although I am doubting that).

It may have no connection but interest in this particular forum has been slow for a while now too.

Oh, we got some excellent fresh shrimp at Platts and enjoyed seafood all week.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,134,319 times
The Grand Strand has always been like this.

Why do you care if no one else is around?

No lines at Boulineaus.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:41 PM

6,493 posts, read 3,182,955 times
I haven't been to MB in quite a while, however when I used to visit, almost annually, I rented a condo unit that was owned by one of my friends. It was in Cherry Grove. Although my personal situation changed, which had me making the trip in July, when the area was heavily populated by tourists like myself, my first visit was in early-mid May of 1980, and indeed, the area was sparsely populated. The condo building we were in, had 25 units, and only 3 were occupied, versus the 20-22 units that were occupied when I was there in July.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:27 PM

43,259 posts, read 18,396,803 times
Well it was pretty busy and crowded the week of Thanksgiving. Even with temps only in the 60's there were people swimming in the water at the beach.

I was amazed to see the traffic grow from Monday on to Friday when the roads were packed and the restaurant parking lots were full.

Family came to visit and I took them up to Cherry Grove pier where we had some lunch and just sat in the sun and watched dolphins swim along the shore. There were a good number of others at the restaurant doing the same thing.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 1,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Just got back from the strand, up to farthest point public in the state, Sat to Sat, and the whole place was like a ghost town, as far as visitors goes. Our complex consists of 2 bldgs with 15 units each and until Thurs or Fri, we were the only occupants and then it was a single couple (owners not rentals). Many similar sized and the big 'towers' around here and all were empty or 80% empty. Now, I can't say they were 100% empty with nobody around but I have never seen it like this. Very few walking the beach, sitting on the beach, pier fishing, golf courses, shops, etc. I know the local spots and they were getting along with the retired at the beach community, what is considered 'locals' I guess for breakfasts and dinners. But actually, if one ventures to the Walmart, only then will the proper definition of 'locals' be present.

Anyway, I've been coming to the beach for my whole life, and spring and fall since I have 'matured' some, and have never seen it like this. We quit coming in the summer months, just too many crazies in this world and can't stay out in the sun all day anymore.

Then when leaving, we met with a car show on MainSt in OD and it was gonna be a BIG day there I guess. They was shore nuff some beautiful iron parked and music going, I s'pose the crowds were yet to arrive.
My brother, this is EXACTLY why you want to move to the Cherry Grove or Ocean Drive Section of North Myrtle Beach, if you are coming from the north and making a move to the Myrtle Beach Metropolitan area. The safest, less crime, historical (beach club and music) area to live that avoids the crime and crazy traffic, yet has the Hospital/Health Care, shopping, amenities, and a quick 20 minute drive down to Myrtle for the shows and concerts, but out of it in no time and back home is the very northern/north part of North Myrtle Beach in either Cherry Grove (about as far north as you can go, or Ocean Drive Beach-the Beach Music/Cultural Capital of the US).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area