Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 07:10 AM

96 posts, read 82,370 times

Advertisements

Is it better to have Hurricane windows or do shutters suffice? I'm not concerned with cost at the moment, just performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 03:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,024 times
I don't know of anyone who has impact windows. They aren't available from developers so unless you are custom building, you would need to retrofit almost any house you buy at the cost of thousands. (approx $500 per window and $2000 for patio doors)
I have aluminum shutters that take about 1 1/2 hours to put up (professional installers can do it much faster). We have used them twice in 3 years, but neighbors that don't have them haven't sustained any window damage. Mine have 2 Plexiglas panels that let some light into the house while they are up.
Most new builds by developers will just leave you precut plywood that you need to put up. Pretty useless in my opinion.
Unless you take a direct hit from a Cat 3 or more hurricane I think shutters should suffice. I know there are a couple of higher end developments that don't even allow shutters.
I would be more concerned about flooding post hurricane. Even with a Cat 1 if it stalls over you like Matthew and Florence did you could have more flood damage than wind damage.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,962,513 times
metal shutters suffice

Old 10-29-2019, 06:42 PM

Ok, so metal panels like corrugated aluminum type, or metal Designer type shutters that look like actual shutters?

Old 10-29-2019, 08:38 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,024 times
metal panels like corrugated aluminum. some hoa's don't allow the shutter type

Old 10-29-2019, 08:44 PM

161 posts, read 237,768 times
We did nothing until buying hurricane panels this year. We payed a bit more to purchase corrugated polycarbonate instead of the aluminum/metal ones.

We did that for a several reasons:
1. Once installed, if you do not evacuate they still allow light into the home.
2. They are much lighter than metal. I can carry 4-6 panels versus the metal ones where two can be heavy. (I’ve helped a friend with his metal ones)
3. You don’t need to worry about the sharp edges that are often on the metal ones.
4. Lightweight. I was out assisting some flood victims and my wife removed all the panels herself and I just had to put them away.

An additional not is they are not that visible. A neighbor still have their polycarbonate panels up(I’m assuming they are still out of town) and I didn’t notice until the other day.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:37 PM

25 posts, read 59,073 times
It is my understanding that impact windows are required on the 3rd floor of 3 story homes in the Myrtle Beach area. I was told that it would cost about an additional $350 per window for impact windows at the time the house is built. This is probably for a 3' x 5' window. Not sure about replacement cost.
If you go to the 2020 Spring Home Show there should be vendors selling hurricane shutters.
You may get a discount if you sign up at the show. It is off season for hurricanes.
https://myrtlebeachconventioncenter....own-home-show/
At the show last year there was at least one vendor offering the shutters made of corrugated-plastic.
And, there were other with the more traditional materials.
I would recommend that you check with your HOA before investing. As mentioned above they may have stipulations regarding the shutters.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:58 PM

Well, I'm not there yet but am looking to be in about a year or so, up in the NMB/LR/Longs area. Attending the Home Show is not a bad thought, though.

Let me ask about flooding now. I've always had a basement with sump pump, French Drains, and grading to control water. You don't have that down there as you have mostly slab homes. What do you do for flooding from heavy rains/stalled hurricanes, etc?

Old 10-31-2019, 10:00 AM

25 posts, read 59,073 times
There are many threads here in city-data regarding flooding in this area. You could search for that.
Flooding in the area changes over the years.
It depends on storms and development. But there are definitely areas near the rivers that are good to avoid if you want don't want to worry about flooding. And, there may be specific lots that have drainage issues.
Below are some links to some of the more current data.
Also, talk to the neighbors in the areas you are interested in.
If possible, observe the area during a downpour or major storm. This probably will not be easy to do if you are out of town.
Of course, there are many homes here that do not commonly flood. (A major hurricane could be an exception.)
So don't let this scare you away. Just do your homework.
You could purchase flood insurance if you are concerned. Be sure to understand what is covered. Ask your agent.

Proposed Flood Maps
https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/ne...235910737.html
https://www.horrycounty.org/gis/flood/
https://www.wbtw.com/news/grand-stra...se-flood-maps/

Flooding due to construction
https://www.wbtw.com/news/grand-stra...ing-scheduled/
https://wpde.com/news/local/motion-h...unty-cut-short

Old 11-03-2019, 04:57 PM

214 posts, read 260,841 times
Our builder left us the precut OSB and a pile of screws . He said most people toss all of that in the trash . We have not done that . We will save it for a while or find something to do with it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area