Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 02:30 PM

174 posts, read 407,547 times

Advertisements

We are retired and looking to relocate from (as Andy and Barney would say) the "big city" (Raleigh area) and we really like the MI area of MB, but there is so much for sale nowadays in Murrell's Inlet between say 250 and 350, I am trying to narrow down specific MI neighborhoods to focus on. What we want, in order of importance, is: 1) safe neighborhood; 2) no HOA (we want to put in an "outbuilding that's ok with an outbuilding); 3) flat/"ranch" 2K+ size; 4) "recent" build (less than 20 years); and like I said, between say 250-350. What do y'all think? Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 04:22 PM

Sorry, was trying to say in #2: 2) no HOA (we want to put in an "outbuilding"; and can go with an HOA who is ok with an outbuilding)

Old 07-02-2019, 12:11 PM

132 posts, read 174,528 times
Try Mt Gilead on 17 , its an older neighborhood, very nice homes, you probably can have a out building, most places that will be a no. I love that neighborhood cause it has a real southern feel with the old oak trees

Old 07-07-2019, 12:09 PM

Thank you for your input, we spent Friday and Saturday there and feel we better understand the area. There sure is a lot of building across the 'whole area' (whatever Pawley's SC to Calabash NC area is referred to as), my lovely wife is becoming enamored with buying new, and I am having to say "...try to imagine this whole area/development with hundreds of new houses all jammed up against each other, and then imagine what kind of "view of the (whatever)" you are going to have..."

Old 07-07-2019, 12:41 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomedata View Post
...try to imagine this whole area/development with hundreds of new houses all jammed up against each other...
Oh, you noticed. Good for you; for most folks, rose-colored glasses camouflage that view. And that uncontrolled development will continue as long as there's any wetlands left to fill in. Wherever you settle on, make sure you have a few backdoor routes to avoid Hwy 17 as much as possible. We are presently very close to reaching critical mass for gridlock in Murrells Inlet around the hospital, as well as throughout Pawleys Island and Hwy 17 in Georgetown. The Southern extension of Hwy 31 is gradually crawling toward completion, which will dump it's traffic onto Hwy 707 in Murrells Inlet and then onto Hwy 17 in Murrells Inlet. There is nowhere east of the Waccamaw River to build a bypass, and any attempts to build additional bridges across the river violate every conceivable existing environmental regulation due to the remaining wetlands. The traffic situation on Hwy 17 in the next 5-10 years is a nightmare that everyone is trying hard to ignore. Discouraging? Don't mean to be. Just be aware of what you are in for.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
...Discouraging? Don't mean to be. Just be aware of what you are in for.
No problem, I've been watching your posts for years and know "how you roll" as the kids say.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
I love Murrells Inlet and Mt. Gilead but it is over your price range.

The area of Murrells Inlet isn't an HOA and would allow you to have outbuildings. There are still a couple of farms in Murrells Inlet between the inlet and 17 Bypass.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 AM

Thanks, we saw several houses we liked in North Myrtle Beach and Little River, and when we have gone to MB for vacations/day trips over the years, we have always been in MB "proper" and North MB, and this trip we were somewhat concerned about how long it took to get to and from Murrell's Inlet... We are starting to re-think our Murrell's Inlet idea... I see Pawleys point about traffic; if it gets a lot worse than it was this weekend (and I assume it does) it would present a problem getting around (personally I'm looking forward to getting the 'Cadillac golf cart' (we have a friend who owns a golf cart sales company) and parking the sports car).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area