Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 9,606 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My family is relocating to the Myrtle Beach area from Greenville. We are interested for a home (not condo or townhome) in a gated community within Pawley's Island and so far like The Reserve and Litchfield Plantation. I know The Reserve has private beach access through Litchfield-By-The-Sea and not sure if Litchfield Plantation has private beach access (I thought our realtor said it did). We also heard Willbrook is nice and has private beach access. I'm pretty sure The River Club and The Tradition communities did too, but there is not much real estate for sale in those areas currently. Does anyone know of any other communities that have private beach access in PI? Thank you in advance!

-Allison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 02:24 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Keep in mind there is no such thing as a private beach in SC. By law, all beaches are public, although road access can be private. Nobody ever accused our lawmakers of being logical, nor are they averse to looking after those who are well-funded.

Properties developed by the Litchfield Company, including Reserve, Willbrook, Traditions, LBTS, etc, have access to a private deck in LBTS. The beach and roads are shared with several thousand others who live or are vacationing at LBTS, as well as whoever else strolls by from various nearby beach access areas.

Litchfield Plantation residents have access to a beach house in North Litchfield, sharing the beach with anybody else who happens to be there. There are numerous public accesses in the same location.

Debordieu may be what you’re looking for. They have successfully made it impossible for anyone else to access the public beach, apparently concerned that “common-man syndrome” may be contagious. Before you buy there, you should inquire into the status of fundraising for replenishing the sand on the beach. Since it is not open to the public. The Corps of Engineers will not fund their periodical replenishment needs.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 PM

Thank you for the response! We don’t necessarily need a secluded spot. Just thought it would be nice to have private access, since I assume parking in the public access portions of the beach might get a little hairy during the tourist season!

Old 03-21-2019, 07:16 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Yes, parking at LBTS would be much easier than public access parking. I don’t know how many parking spaces are available at the Litchfield Plantation beach house, or if they are prone to filling up. IMO, by far the nicest beach in the area is at Huntington State Park, which has ample parking. An annual pass is around $55. The park beaches are also less crowded than the LBTS beaches.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:44 PM

Thank you so much PawleysDude. My fiance is going to be working in the Market Common area and some people are saying that we should not be looking in Pawleys bc it will be too far. He will be working at about 8 am so I doubt he will hit any traffic and on the way home around 5 p.m he will be heading back home therefore, bypassing the tourism traffic. So without traffic it should be roughly 30 minutes. We did look at some homes in Cypress River Plantation in MB and liked it. But I also really love the feeling of The Reserve and Litchfield Plantation. Do you have any advice on this at all?? We really like PI and I wasn't sure if there are any other considerations. Knowing Huntington State Park is close to PI is a huge plus. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2019, 01:52 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
My brother-in-law works in Pawleys and we live in Forestbrook (relatively near Market Common). Based on his comments driving back and forth in the summer, you shouldn't assume that traffic is not going to be a problem. What normally is a 35 minute drive for him during the winter turns into close to an hour and sometimes more in the summer. During the summer, tourist traffic on 17 is a constant...all day...every day according to him.

If you really want to consider Pawleys, I would recommend that you rent for a year to be sure it's the right place considering where your fiance's employment is located.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:20 PM

Well I am not saying it would never traffic would NEVER be an issue. But, from what his co-workers have said who live in PI, most of the traffic coming into MB area on 17 is not really occurring at 6:30-7 am in the morning. And that when he is coming home most of the traffic is still coming into MB and not the other direction towards PI. Not that of course there won't be more traffic anyway then there would be anyway compared to fall/winter. Renting is not really an option with a 2 year old and 4 month old. We really need to be in a home and not be moving back and forth.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:43 PM

809 posts, read 1,180,837 times
A few personal observations. Traffic at the end of the day in the summer is horrendous in both directions because the tourists are out all day. They’re traveling in both directions. Many are heading down 17 to The Marsh at 5:00 from their hotels for dinner. Pawleys is a wonderful place to live. But it is also a bit of a drive to many popular shopping venues such as Costco, Target, Home Goods, Home Depot. Just something to think about.

I can understand not wanting to rent and move again with young children. However, since you’re not familiar with the Grand Strand and the various areas it might be worth the inconvenience of renting and moving when you find the right spot for your family.

Best of luck! It’s a great place to live

Old 03-25-2019, 10:53 AM

16 posts, read 23,107 times
Another thing to keep in mind - The only way to get to and from the Pawleys Island area is route 17. Once you get south of Murrells Inlet or north of Georgetown , that road is your only option to go north , south or west. When there is an evacaution EVERYONE will be on that road. I live in Carolina Forest and drive to Pawleys every day to work. Once there was an accident on 17 in Litchfield and it took me over 2 hours to get home. We chose living in the middle for various reasons, but that was one of them.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:34 PM

482 posts, read 844,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyelizabeth View Post
Well I am not saying it would never traffic would NEVER be an issue. But, from what his co-workers have said who live in PI, most of the traffic coming into MB area on 17 is not really occurring at 6:30-7 am in the morning. And that when he is coming home most of the traffic is still coming into MB and not the other direction towards PI. Not that of course there won't be more traffic anyway then there would be anyway compared to fall/winter. Renting is not really an option with a 2 year old and 4 month old. We really need to be in a home and not be moving back and forth.

I leave at 7:45am from PI to MB and never hit traffic, only traffic I ever hit is on 501.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area