Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,346 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are considering moving to Myrtle Beach area and could use some suggestions. We are a family of four- 2 kids in early twenties. We are looking for a four bedroom 3 bath home on one third acre for about 350k. Is this doable? We have been down a few times and like the Forestbrook area, I don’t want to be too close to the beach because I’d be worried about hurricanes. If we bought a lot for 50k, could w get a home from a builder for 300k? Have u had a home built, any unforeseen costs? Is anyone familiar with Sago plantation? I seen a few lots in there for sale. Also, what r ur thoughts on Conway? I didn’t think Conway had a great reputation but from what I have seen it seems pretty nice and possibly larger properties than MB. I am not concerned with the distance to the beach. Is Wild Wing Plantation nice? Coming down (from NJ) probably next week, any help/input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 PM

46 posts, read 39,902 times
Wild Wing is right near Coastal Carolina University & a very congested section of 501, so may want to stay away from there. Sago is pretty nice. You should be able to get what you want for $350. We moved from NJ & live in the Carolina Forest area. Plenty of ex NJ residents here.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Oh okay I will keep that in mind about the university, thanks. Yes I think the whole northeast is on its way down!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 PM

46 posts, read 39,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penspa View Post
Oh okay I will keep that in mind about the university, thanks. Yes I think the whole northeast is on its way down!
You’re very welcome. Happy house hunting.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 AM

790 posts, read 1,628,157 times
Having a custom home built runs between $150/$200 sq ft. So, whether you could buy a lot for $50K and build a house for a total $350K depends on how big you want the house and how picky you are about finishes.

Finding a lot in a production builder community will cost less per sq ft but you are more limited in the floor plans and you have to be careful which builder because quality varies from builder to builder. Also, some production builders are willing to work with you on modifications to their standard offereings while others have a take it or leave it attitude.

We had our house built by a production builder and, once you sign the contract, it's pretty much set in stone unless you want to change something. Many years ago, we had a custom home built, and there were always things happening that could change the price. It seemed like that if I wanted to ask a question, the builder wanted to change the price...LOL. Plus there were always delays because his electrician was sick, the doors were late being delivered, etc. With production builders, they have multiple crews and they use the same materials in all houses so they have them in stock.

Sago Plantation is a beautiful development but there's only one road in/out and it empties onto 501 which is the main way out of MB. We avoid 501 on the weekends in the summer at all costs...'nuff said.

Conway is a beautiful little town and there are some nice areas. But there are some very rough areas as well so one just has to be careful of where in Conway you're looking. Getting from many areas of Conway to the beach in the summer is at least 30-45 minute drive. They just opened International Blvd for those who live in the northern part of Conway and it may cut the time to the beach but I suspect it will get congested as well as people get used to it and more developments are built near it.

If you like Forestbrook, there's a new development called Forestbrook Estates being built by Lennar which would fit within your budget. A little further south, we just had a friend build in The Farm at Timberlake. It's very nice and she seems to like it.

If you are open to existing homes, you might want to look in Arrowhead or Arrowhead Grande. We have friends that live in those communities and are very happy there.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:07 PM

I think production built might be better, custom sounds like it can be a lot pricier and I hadn’t even thought of the delay issues. We just got down tonite so we will be doing a lot of driving around for the next 2 days. We took a ride thru Sago coming in and I see what you mean about it be right off of 501 there. I actually had the Farm at Timberlake on my list but will def take a look at the others you recommend. Thank you very much for all the helpful information!

Old 10-24-2018, 06:58 PM

312 posts, read 517,423 times
There are lots for sale in Murrells Inlet, but they may start a little out of your price range. I’m not sure you want that area. I did use a custom builder, and there were no surprises in cost. In fact I pointed out a few things I didn’t want, and he changed them for me after I had agreed to the build. We actually closed a little ahead of schedule — a couple of weeks, but it was a pleasant process. Yes, I’ve already forgot the stress of picking out windows, doors, tile, fans, lights, and cupboards. It’s fun to do though at least once though. I’d not totally discount using a custom builder. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area