Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:04 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,941,638 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the west all my life. Therefore We have never lived in a humid place. We are considering retiring there/Little River. * Regarding humidity: Is it only uncomfortable in the summer? All day and night? Is it worse more inland from the ocean?
*Now bugs: Are they around year round, or worse during the summer? Do you need a screened in porch to beable to sit outside? I know about the Palmetto bugs!
I understand you can spray the crawling ones, but not the flying ones!
I'm trying to figure out if I could make this work. It is so beautiful out there and I love the ocean. Can't afford to live by the ocean on the west coast!
*Also What about average car ins/full coverage?
*Home owners ins./ aprox. $200,000 home. I heard $800 a year?
Thank you☺
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 03:04 PM

790 posts, read 1,625,618 times
Don't know where you live in the west but what I tell people from New England is take the two hottest, most humid weeks they have during the year...and that's what it's like here from June to the end of August or so. And, yes, all day and all night. Our a/c never gets shut off during those three months. Inland is hotter than near the ocean but the humidity is about the same either place. My wife just got back from 2 weeks in Seattle and is having to readjust to the humidity here so if you've never experienced it, my recommendation is that you find a cheap flight and visit here during the summer before making any plans to move here. Outside of summer, the weather is delightful. It does get pretty chilly at times in Jan/Feb but usually only a few days at a time and then it warms back up to around 60 during the day.

Bugs are worse in the summer but you can have crawling bugs most of the year. But, they generally don't get in the house as long as you spray occasionally. Yes, a screened porch is a must to sit outside...the standing joke is that the mosquito is the state bird...they grow pretty big here. You can usually sit without a screened porch in the winter but you'd need a sweater/hoodie.

I don't have full coverage on my car so I'll leave it to another poster to provide an idea on cost. I carry only liability (car is paid for).

You homeowner's estimate is about right depending on deductible, where you live and type of house. You do have to shop around to get it at that price. I've gotten quotes as high as $2000 for the same coverage I get for $800.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:31 PM

312 posts, read 517,041 times
I have very good coverage on my car. 2011 Honda Pilot. It’s paid off but I max the coverage. No blemishes on my record. It’s right at $1000 a year. It’s been going up each year I’ve been here, and I assume it’s due to the enormous number of wrecks I see here. It’s higher than it was on Long Island, Nassau County. I’m the only driver and in my early 50s if age impacts insurance.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 AM

Thank you so much!☺ That really helps. I live in Idaho now and we have no humidity. But I can't stand the winters! I'm originally from Southern CA.
I was once in TX in June and the humidity was unbareable and the mosquitos ate me alive!!
I was in Nasville in June for 10 days and didn't really notice the humidity or bugs! Confusing to me!
We are planning a trip to Myrtle Beach next summer.
Running the a/c all summer..What does your electric run per month/$$?

Old 07-20-2018, 10:08 AM

99 posts, read 141,776 times
here's some of my electric bills for a 2500 sq ft house, july 2017 - $248, next month $237, sept $171, the next few months went as low as $75, May of 2018 $75, this June $147, We got a new heat pump last November and I think that made a difference. I think so far this summer has been hotter than last year. No huge oil heat bils like up north.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM

312 posts, read 517,041 times
I lived in Idaho. It is pretty but the inversions were awful to me. I was ready to put my head in the fridge to see some bright light......

Electric bills- sept, 150, October 105, nov 71, dec 75, Jan 160, feb 100, March 81, April 81, May 78, June 150,

The house was completed in 2016. It’s a raised Beach style, Hardie plank sides, metal roof, custom builder. I believe about 2100 sq ft heated/cooled. It stays amazingly warm in the winter and cool in the summer compared to a Centex home I had in Mt Pleasant where the walls felt like all the cold and heat came in and I used space heaters there and electric blankets. The only difference I can think of is builder, materials and/or insulation. I still am amazed how comfortable it is in winter. My electric bills were higher at the other house.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:07 PM

16 posts, read 13,371 times
Humidity is pretty bad all summer (day and night). It's more humid inland. If you're near the ocean, the breeze helps against the humidity. Bugs are also only really a problem in the summer. Palmetto bugs are everywhere! Other than that, you probably won't need a screened in porch if you're near the water. The bugs are worse inland too. Also, when I refer to "summer" I mean around April-October. I know this includes spring and fall as well, but these are the warm months.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,703,841 times
2000 sq ft home build in 2012 - June-Sept electric runs between $150 and $200. The rest of the time between $75 and $100.
A screen porch is a must in my opinion.
A major factor in home insurance is how close are you to the ocean, east of the Intercostal will be more expensive than west of it. Be sure to check flood plains. There has been some pretty sever flooding in recent years.
Car insurance on a 2016 Honda Fit runs $1000 a year.
The humidity can take your breath away. Today it's been raining all day and right now it feels like a steam bath outside. That said you can enjoy usually outdoor activities early in the morning or later at night. During the day I tend to move from one air conditioned place to another.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:24 PM

Thank you all so much.☺

Old 07-21-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
I lived in Idaho. It is pretty but the inversions were awful to me. I was ready to put my head in the fridge to see some bright light......

Electric bills- sept, 150, October 105, nov 71, dec 75, Jan 160, feb 100, March 81, April 81, May 78, June 150,

The house was completed in 2016. It’s a raised Beach style, Hardie plank sides, metal roof, custom builder. I believe about 2100 sq ft heated/cooled. It stays amazingly warm in the winter and cool in the summer compared to a Centex home I had in Mt Pleasant where the walls felt like all the cold and heat came in and I used space heaters there and electric blankets. The only difference I can think of is builder, materials and/or insulation. I still am amazed how comfortable it is in winter. My electric bills were higher at the other house.
I hate the inversions!! Winter here in ID is very depressing to me! Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area